It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #1
(female)

erin0730 HB User
Gluten Free Diet-Please Help!!

Hello! I am 27 years old, 2 1/2 yrs ago I was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity, it has been a struggle for me. I didnt want to give up the foods that I enjoyed eatting, but I recently admitted to myself that Im only hurting myself but not following the drs orders.

I need tips on how to make it easier for me and to lose weight...lunch is my hardest meal. Can anyone please give me suggestions on what I can eat. I get tired of eatting the same thing over and over again.

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to erin0730:
wiedzmin (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
(male)

wiedzmin HB User
Go ethnic

Lots of ethnic cuisines stay away from the gluten containing wheat, barley and rye. Asian cuisine with rice, vegetables and soy -- just ask them to leave out the fried gluten. Mexican cuisine, based on corn and beans, just have to avoid the flour tortillas. Even good old American meatloaf and potatoes is gluten free IF you leave off the gravy.

Check into Korean cuisine. If you can tolerate kimchi well, it may help to improve your intestinal flora to the point that it tempers your food sensitivities. Koreans do some innovative things with sweet potatoes as the dietary starch, mixing it half-half with rice, or french frying them, or making them into noodles.

To help with the psychology of it, just forget about "gluten-free" bread and put your desire to eat bread behind you. There are plenty of other carbohydrates you can eat besides bread: polenta, grits, potatoes, rice, buckwheat groats, millet, taro, sorghum, quinoa. These things may be hard to find in your typical American supermarket, but if you check out the ethnic markets, you will be amazed at all the other possibilities.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-18-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
(female)

sleepininmpls HB User
Re: Gluten Free Diet-Please Help!!

I recently started eating gluten free as well. Searching on the Internet I have been able to find a lot of recipes for great soups. A salad loaded with meat, seeds, raisins and a homemade dressing is also a favorite for lunch. try a "sandwich" wrap made with lettuce as the wrapper. Pastrami roll ups with cream cheese and a pickle don't sound good but are really tasty. Snyders makes a gluten free pretzel that I actually prefer to regular pretzels. If you have a Whole Foods, Cub Foods or other type of whole food co-op, they will offer a lot of gluten free options. Once you get on track you will be shocked at how much better you feel! One thing to note, after one week gluten (and dairy) free, I actually found that I didn't miss those processed carbs I had been eating (way too much of) for 41 years. I was shocked that I could sit at a table with a bunch of people who were drinking beer and I didn't even crave it. I would make fresh bread for my family and not even have difficulty avoiding it. However, once I discovered the gluten free snacks (pretzels, cookies), the cravings came back. I indulged a little too much. I hope to avoid all the processed foods from here our because my entire physical and mental health is so much better without it. Good luck to you!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
(female)

cat3883 HB User

I have been on a gluten free diet for 4 1/2 years. It gets easier, trust me. Good luck to you.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-17-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website

Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Oh I know what you mean same ole stuff all the time. I tried the Asian isle got bored with that. Too tired too cook need prepared foods. They don't like them but its all I got. I'm in a catch 22. Hubby is tired of it. Same ole same ole. I gained weight too seems like everyone else lost weight. I just need someone just come stay with me. I'm so exhausted.

I did a sleep study test too. Everything came back normal. Thank goodness.

I've had so many test done all normal.

I don't know what to do I'm so exhausted. Cathy

Last edited by noevr; 01-22-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
(female)

Nopales HB User

Good advice above about the ethnic cuisine, though beware of hidden sources of gluten. Soy sauce and several other sauces usually have wheat. Kimchi even has wheat in the fermentation liquid sometimes.

Closed Thread