It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
(male)

Peter4567 HB User
Could someone please help?

Okay so im 5'10" and 110 LB; I can barely afford to eat and Ive been dealing with depression so dont make any comments about my height and weight, I know im too skinny, its pointed out enough already.

Well I want to gain weight and this is what I had planned to buy as meals now that i came across a little bit of money. I will commit myself to an exercise routine. I dont care about being really buff, i really dont think that looks good. I just want to look healthy.

Goal weight for someone 5'10": Id like to weight somewhere along the lines of 175-190LB maybe

What should I be eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Ive heard that there should be 6 smaller meals spread out through the day instead of 3.

This is what I was thinking of buying but im no nutritionist and this is where YOU come in! Can't afford those doctors, thats why im here on the forms!

Well heres a list of what i was going to include in my diet and id like to know what i should exclude and what else i should add to the list.

Eggs (ill probably make them scrambled with ham or vegetables in them)
Oatmeal (made with Milk)
Cereal (Cheerios)

And if there are any tips you could give me please post them.

Last edited by Peter4567; 10-31-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User
Re: Could someone please help?

Hi Peter,

I know you already said you plan to do some of what I have to share, but here it is.

I encourage you to not waste money on low nutrient foods like cold cereal (no matter what their advertisements say). You need highly nutrient dense food, and that is more filling and less costly than a lot of cheap low nutrient food, as it is more satisfying, and keeps the energy level up longer. It also feeds muscle which is what you really need to build up, so your weight gain is muscle and not fat. So walk and work out as you gain.

Plan a week's worth of meals and make a menu, then shop for the ingredients. in a short time you will have the seasonings you need (salt, pepper, Garlic for a start) for simple dishes to make them taste great. If you search words like cheap menu or cheap recipes, or something like it you probably will find some recipes. Avoid crackers, breads and sweets as much as you can. A little is fine, but they don't have enough nutrition for the cost.

Don't shop at major food chains, not even Walmart. Watch for sale items and compare prices. Read the per ounce or per pound messages and get the most for your money.

There are discount food stores like Grocery Outlet, and there is one in San Diego. Maybe more than one. Make sure to read the Expiration dates even on canned food, and esp. on boxed dry food. But avoid pre-prepared food or mixes as much as possible. They are not nutritious and won't serve your purpose.

Eggs are good protein, and you want to eat the whole egg. After egg is cooked add a 1/2 teaspoon of cold pressed olive oil to it.

Oatmeal is fine only if it is rolled oats. Instead of adding milk, add a little honey and a 1/2 teaspoon of cold pressed olive oil. You need the healthy fat in order to absorb certain critical vitamins from your food.

Eat as much fresh food, vegetables and fruit as you can afford. Next best is frozen vegetables or fruit. Again, avoid packaged foods that have added sauces and seasonings. Add your own seasonings or real butter. Yes it costs a little more, but it's not so much at discount food stores, and it is good in moderation.

Beans are nutrient dense foods. Get a crock pot from a yard sale or a thrift store. call around and find one. Buy bagged dry beans and soak them over night, then rinse and season them and let cook in the crock pot while at work or school. You can mix different types of dry beans. You can also add rice to beans. Use Brown rice for a side dish. You can add drained cooked beans to salads, other vegetables or make soups, or roll them into a tortilla.

Hard cheese, such as cheddar, fish (not fish sticks) and poultry are good proteins to have at the very least once a day. Raw nuts and fresh veggies are good snacks.

This should get you started. Let us know how you are doing!

Last edited by jillian4; 11-13-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply