It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
(female)

Mommy2MrB HB User
Low Potassium Levels ?

On Wednesday I had my blood drawn and it was shown I had a 2.9 Potassium level.

So my doctor RX me 10 MIE of Potassium Chloride 3x a day. When I got on it I was seriously feeling ill after taking the supplement so then that made me wonder is my potassium truly off or was the lab wrong .

Did something affect my blood work to make my levels seem low when they were truly not.

I asked the pharmacist and the pharmacist said the potassium levels were from last week so last week I was on Bactrim.

The day of my potassium levels drawn I had serious frequent urination even tho my doctor says frequent peeing won't cause low potassium but I seen online that it does.

Plus,I have had no symptoms of low potassium issues as I have backaches due to my cycle,hiatal hernia . I haven't been fatigue as last week I was all over the place helping at son's school.

So when potassium was given by the pharmacist she said you must have been really sick and I go No. She looks at me as supposedly low potassium is supposed to have you seriously ill.

After taking the potassium tabs I been having severe musce aches,sore throat,nausea,heart contractions,light flashes in eye.Severe headache.

So then I'm wondering if my levels are actually normal but were diluted due to my frequent urination and due to supplements I been making levels too high ?

Old 11-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Low Potassium Levels ?

When in doubt, it might be a good idea to get a second opinion from another doctor. Hopefully, the doctor will have your complete medical history.

My opinion: If you don't have any serious medical issues affecting your potassium, why not just concentrate on eating more potassium rich foods and forget about taking the pills? You might ask your doctor if that might be a better option, seeing that the pills are making you feel worse. Potassium is easy to get from fruit and vegetables.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread