It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
(female)

sugzey$ HB User
Sour smelling scalp

I have a sour smelling scalp. My forehead gets pretty oily so I assume my scalp is oily also. If I don't use the dandruff shampoo(Nizoral), my scalp also itches. I am 73 yrs. old and my hair is still pretty thick but it isn't my hair that smells, it is my scalp. The dandruff shampoo might help the sour smell for a day or so but the smell comes right back. I am wondering if a 1400 milligram fish oil capsule and a 845 milligram flax seed oil capsule and a small amount of whey protein powder with amino acids in it might be causing the problem. I have thought about stopping the fish oil and flax seed oil capsules but I hate to do that if it isn't the problem.

Could any of the following that I use every day be causing my problem? Sometimes more than 8 oz. of Soy Milk, 1 scoop of Amplified wheybolic Extreme 60 Whey Protein(serving size 3 scoops), the oil capsules above, 1 Ultra 25 billion active cultures Probiotic Complex capsule, 1 cup of activia yogurt, more nuts than I should eat, mostly english walnuts.

I thought it might be caused from my head perspiring so much cutting grass last summer in the hot sun with a hat on. The test that my dermatologist did on my scalp came back negative. There is no sign of anything on my scalp. Could it be yeast coming from the inside? No signs of yeast anywhere else on my body. Not taking any prescription pills.

Anyone else having to deal with sour smelling scalp?

Please help!! Thanks.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-23-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Re: Sour smelling scalp

Hi sugzey

The propensity to have oily or dry skin is likely inherited. My skin is dry and gets dryer as I age. Two of my family members have oily skin. Their over all skin & scalps get oilier as they age. They must shampoo and shower every day or the hair and skin is oily and the smell is rank, sorry to say. Hormonal changes also affect the general smell of the body. Maybe try a shampoo with tea tree oil in it (organic, from a health food store). After washing the hair, rinsing the scalp and hair with diluted vinegar is very effective in cutting oils and ridding the scalp of debris. I would try that to see if the harsh chemicals no longer are needed.

Any oils get rancid fast after being heated, even from body heat. Shampooing does get rid of the smell until the skin oil gets rancid again. It's worse if working up a sweat or in hot weather, and yes I am sure that wearing a hat affects how fast the scalp fat turns rancid. Perhaps you can mow earlier or later in the day when it is cooler and only wear hats of natural fibers that have a loose weave so that the air can circulate. I don't believe one past incident would create a permanent condition, though. It's more likely that the heat under the hat made the oil rancid faster so that it was more noticeable than usual.

Diet does affect the skin as diet affects the whole body. Nothing I can recommend is a fast fix. Though I don't know what else you eat, I didn't see seeds, beans, vegetables or fruits mentioned. It seems to me that you are taking an excess of oil supplements. The body doesn't always know what to do with excessive supplements, and they can create an unnatural imbalance or even be toxic. Natural foods are naturally balanced. Instead of all of those supplements I would rather see you eating a balanced daily diet of real food, such as fish three or four times a week, such as wild salmon (sardines with the bones is great for fish oil, protein and calcium), chicken, several servings of various dark colored vegetables, and whole fresh fruits eaten with some protein such as plain yogurt, hard cheese, or an occasional whey protein drink.

Nuts should be limited to only about a handful per day and not only walnuts. Brazil nuts, pistachios, almonds, cashews and pecans are all very good, each supplying a variety of nutrients and healthy oils. Oils should not be limited to the supplements. A small amount of coconut oil or olive oil per day is a good balance. Nuts and oils are very high in calories and should be consumed in small amounts, and not ever replace other foods.

As for the itch I agree it is not likely from yeast or Candida. We don't need to overload the probiotics, though. One Activia or one acidophilus daily is enough. You may benefit from "B Complex" vitamins as they help the skin be balanced. Any brand of B 50 Complex would suffice as it is water soluble and easy to digest. take with food if your stomach is sensitive.

Soy anything is not the best thing to eat. There are other milks that are excellent protein sources. Almond or coconut milks are healthier and better for your body. If you take soy for female hormone reasons, someone at a health food store can direct you to different supplements without soy that may work for any symptoms you have. Soy estrogen is not like human estrogen and any estrogen dominance is not healthy.

I hope this helps you in some way! At least to let you know you aren't alone. Oily scalp is a pretty common problem, though annoying.

Treefer

Last edited by Tree Frog; 03-24-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
(female)

sugzey$ HB User

Thanks Treefer for your response. I do try to eat lots of fruits and salads and maybe not as many vegetables as I should. I usually fix a spinach salad and put a lot of different things on it that are good for you. I eat more tuna, catfish and chicken than other kinds of meat but I do eat other kinds occasionally. I am using Soy Milk because I asked my doctor which to use Soy or Skimmed Milk and he told me to use Soy because it has more calcium in it and I am prone to have osteoporosis which I tested positive for several years ago but more recently tested negative. I take a couple of calcium pills everyday anyway, so I think I will go back to skimmed milk. The soy might be making my hormones to be off balance. As for the oil, I have purchased some olive oil and going to put some on my salads and I have been eating some olives (just two a day).

I am taking the one probiotic and eating one cup of yogurt a day because I have bacteria in my lungs (pseudomonas) and thought it might be in my intestines also. The probiotic has helped the hurt I was having in my stomach every night. I was diagnosed with silent acid reflux several years ago and taking medicine for that and decided I would try the probiotic and see if it would help and I think that is what made my stomach quit hurting so I got off the acid reflux medication. The doctors never tell you to take anything except prescription medicine to try to get rid of your problems and I don't like to be on prescription medicine.

Anyway, I have gone back to my regular shampoo and twice now after I rinse my hair real good I mix some water and white vinegar together and pour it over my head and leave it on it. If it was good enough to soak my feet in it per the podiatrist instructions after toenail surgery to kill the bacteria and if it's used to kill fungus under the toenails, then I thought well maybe if I have any of those problems on my head, it should help. It's good I have very thick hair for my age. I haven't noticed that any of the shampoos that I have used has made my hair fall out. I better knock on wood and hope it doesn't all fall out at one time.:-)

I know what you are talking about with aging and the smell that sometimes comes from people's scalps and body, I guess. That is what I am trying to avoid. So I will do whatever I can to keep that from happening. If the problem hasn't subsided when I go to my doctor for my physical in April, I will see if he thinks it might be an internal problem and maybe there is something I can take to get rid of it even though I hate to and know that it isn't good for me. Since I don't take any more prescription medicine at the present time, maybe it won't hurt me too much.

Thank you so much for your helpful response. I know this is a complicated problem and could be caused by so many things. sugzey$

Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Talking Re: Sour smelling scalp

sugzey, you're welcome. I'm glad you got some ideas of other things to try.

I do know what you are saying about medical doctors. I'm glad we have them, but unless I need surgery I like to use a naturopathic doctor because he isn't eager to get out the prescription pad. Most everything he recommends can bought at a health food or grocery store. My medical doctors know I will decide whether to use a prescription. I just found out about D-Mannose for urinary tract and bladder irritation and it works like magic.

You're very blessed to have kept your thick hair. Mine has thinned down considerably, probably due to low thyroid. I'm so with you on avoiding prescriptions, with all of their side effects. I like to stay as organic and natural as possible, too.

Yes, I have used vinegar to clear up a toenail, myself. It's a great cuticle remover. I swab it on my nails and let it dry and the cuticles are cleaned up. It is harmless to healthy tissue. I've never gotten a bad reaction to it.

In case you didn't know, you can get the nut milk with calcium added to it. I am not lactose intolerant, but milk doesn't digest well for me. Make sure to balance calcium with magnesium citrate (easily assimilated) so the calcium will go into the bone and not into the soft tissue causing arthritic like pain.

I think the daily dose of cold pressed olive oil is one teaspoon a day. What amazes me about cold pressed olive oil is it does not get rancid or need refrigerated. I put a little on hard boiled or fried egg, salad, tuna, and so on.

I wonder if a sea salted water nasal spray might help your lung problem. Or maybe sea salted water in a room humidifier.

I'm just chatting on...If you have time, down the road maybe you can drop in and give an update on whether the vinegar or anything you have been trying has helped.

Last edited by Tree Frog; 03-25-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
(female)

sugzey$ HB User

Thanks Treefer. I'll be back in touch if and when I find out what is wrong with my scalp.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
(female)

sugzey$ HB User
Smile Re: Sour smelling scalp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Frog View Post
sugzey, you're welcome. I'm glad you got some ideas of other things to try.

I do know what you are saying about medical doctors. I'm glad we have them, but unless I need surgery I like to use a naturopathic doctor because he isn't eager to get out the prescription pad. Most everything he recommends can bought at a health food or grocery store. My medical doctors know I will decide whether to use a prescription. I just found out about D-Mannose for urinary tract and bladder irritation and it works like magic.

You're very blessed to have kept your thick hair. Mine has thinned down considerably, probably due to low thyroid. I'm so with you on avoiding prescriptions, with all of their side effects. I like to stay as organic and natural as possible, too.

Yes, I have used vinegar to clear up a toenail, myself. It's a great cuticle remover. I swab it on my nails and let it dry and the cuticles are cleaned up. It is harmless to healthy tissue. I've never gotten a bad reaction to it.

In case you didn't know, you can get the nut milk with calcium added to it. I am not lactose intolerant, but milk doesn't digest well for me. Make sure to balance calcium with magnesium citrate (easily assimilated) so the calcium will go into the bone and not into the soft tissue causing arthritic like pain.

I think the daily dose of cold pressed olive oil is one teaspoon a day. What amazes me about cold pressed olive oil is it does not get rancid or need refrigerated. I put a little on hard boiled or fried egg, salad, tuna, and so on.

I wonder if a sea salted water nasal spray might help your lung problem. Or maybe sea salted water in a room humidifier.

I'm just chatting on...If you have time, down the road maybe you can drop in and give an update on whether the vinegar or anything you have been trying has helped.
My problem I think has been solved...knock on wood! I quit using a lot of soy milk and I used three or four times some shampoo made in Germany that is supposed to balance the ph on your scalp. I honestly think my quitting using so much soy milk is what solved the problem. I understand that it kind of mimics estrogen so I guess it messed up my hormones. I know I didn't have the problem when I wasn't using soy milk. Anyway, I am glad the old oily smell went away.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
(female)

michellegrl HB User

It was terrible, I started to realize that my head was stinking and boy did it smell...I work in a small confined area and it was very uncomfortable when people were in my space...so I turned to the internet for answers and hopefully a solution...well it wasn't as easy as I hoped and it became pricey...first I tried tea tree oil shampoo, hoping it would work because it has antiseptic properties...but after a couple of weeks my head was just as bad as when I started to use it...Next i used head and shoulders as it was suggested somewhere out here in internet land...and it is very wrong...head and shoulder or any other dandruff shampoo is for a dry scalp...stinky scalp is caused by an excessive oil problem...so H&S was only making the problem worse....next I bought a shampoo with TAR..oh wow did that stink..when i used it I said I had horse head..it smelled bad and again did not work...and it is very expensive....desperately I searched the internet again...coming up with Tersaseptic, which is used for acne but also specifies on the bottle oily scalp..BINGO..finally! With fingers crossed I started to use it and after the first week I started to notice the smell not so pungent..a couple more weeks and no smell at all...problem solved!! There is one set back and that is it dries out your hair..so I was faced with what kind of conditioner do I use and know that the smell is gone what kind of shampoo do I start to use..I won't be going back to what I used to use and that includes a wide variety of brands...I turned to the internet and again...looking for an oil free conditioner and shampoo. I ended up buying a conditioner & shampoo made for Vegans...its an all natural. So far so good no stinky head smell...I also bought some infusium 23 a spray on leave in treatment for damaged hair, focusing on the ends when I spray it on trying to avoid the scalp...All is good now, my hair is as healthy as ever and no more stinky scalp...I hope this information finds someone in need and works for them as it did for me!!

Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
(female)

sugzey$ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellegrl View Post
It was terrible, I started to realize that my head was stinking and boy did it smell...I work in a small confined area and it was very uncomfortable when people were in my space...so I turned to the internet for answers and hopefully a solution...well it wasn't as easy as I hoped and it became pricey...first I tried tea tree oil shampoo, hoping it would work because it has antiseptic properties...but after a couple of weeks my head was just as bad as when I started to use it...Next i used head and shoulders as it was suggested somewhere out here in internet land...and it is very wrong...head and shoulder or any other dandruff shampoo is for a dry scalp...stinky scalp is caused by an excessive oil problem...so H&S was only making the problem worse....next I bought a shampoo with TAR..oh wow did that stink..when i used it I said I had horse head..it smelled bad and again did not work...and it is very expensive....desperately I searched the internet again...coming up with Tersaseptic, which is used for acne but also specifies on the bottle oily scalp..BINGO..finally! With fingers crossed I started to use it and after the first week I started to notice the smell not so pungent..a couple more weeks and no smell at all...problem solved!! There is one set back and that is it dries out your hair..so I was faced with what kind of conditioner do I use and know that the smell is gone what kind of shampoo do I start to use..I won't be going back to what I used to use and that includes a wide variety of brands...I turned to the internet and again...looking for an oil free conditioner and shampoo. I ended up buying a conditioner & shampoo made for Vegans...its an all natural. So far so good no stinky head smell...I also bought some infusium 23 a spray on leave in treatment for damaged hair, focusing on the ends when I spray it on trying to avoid the scalp...All is good now, my hair is as healthy as ever and no more stinky scalp...I hope this information finds someone in need and works for them as it did for me!!
Thanks! I will try this if my problem returns.

Closed Thread