It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
(female)

caz72me HB User
12 year old & protein shakes?

I have a 12yr boy who has ADHD, he has had eating problems connected with his ADHD since being a toddler, he ate everything given to him from weaning and I thought he was going to be a great eater, but then from about the age of 2 things went downhill with his eating. He has been seen by consultants/dieticians/eating clinics and they all agree that his eating causes severe stress to him and to not push any ideas with food onto him or it could make him worse. They are happy with him eating the same foods day in & day out as long as long as I supplement him with vitamins. He has cereal for breakfast albeit a chocolate kids cereal, usually plain bread no spreads/fillings for lunch, few grapes daily, pk crisps, homemade choc crispy cake, cooked tea which is either chicken nuggets and potato or chicken burgers in buns (adult size meal) and a supper snack based around calcium/dairy, either a muller corner yoghurt or choc milkshake. My son is slightly under normal weight for his age, he looks skinny, nothing to his arms/wrists - ribs and spine very clearly visable but the experts say they happy with his weight so have to go with their opinion, my main worry is that he is struggling with strength - he cycles 2.5miles to school and has to take numerous rest breaks much to his brother's annoyance who can manage the trip easily, when walking he tires out quicker than my husband who is not in great shape. I don't know what to do to give him more energy, I can't introduce more foods to his diet as they just wont be eaten, I can't easily fit in any more snacks/meals in the day, his portion sizes are already large adult size ones. I was wondering whether there was any way of providing extra energy by changing the normal chocolate shake to one of these chocolate protein shakes - hoping they taste similar and he accepts it, does anyone know if that would be wise at his age?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: 12 year old & protein shakes?

Would be best to check with his doctor regarding total amount of protein he should have daily. Our kidneys can only handle so much protein. This is why best to check with his doctor.

If it is o.k. for him to have protein shakes, gradually substituting a small amount of protein shake will allow the taste buds to adjust to taste of the protein shake. Otherwise a sudden change from one to the other will not go over very well with a finicky eating person.

Closed Thread