It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
(male)

nealiusss HB User
High calorie foods? (need to gain)

Hey guys, I'm a 25 year old male who's been having issues with fatigue and lethargy. I've been trying to exercise but the energy to do so just isn't there. The longest I was able to go with regular exercise was about a month, and I felt better, but nowhere near what I have felt before nor where I want to be. I'm 5'10" and terribly underweight at ~123lbs. I have been to Japan a few times and over there I feel great and I can gain nearly 10lbs (more if I actually worked out while there), but back here in the US I almost immediately feel horrible and I lose all the weight I gained. I do have Ulcerative Colitis, which has been asymptomatic for the last few years--including the time I spent in Japan--so the only thing I've really been able to narrow it down to is diet and nutrition. Looking at my calorie intake in the US, I'm lucky to get 1300 calories and the food just makes be feel sick. In Japan I ate close to 2100 (maybe even more) calories a day and I felt fine.

The problem I'm finding here in the US is the portion size in relation to the calories it gives me. In Japan I ate small meals that were packed with calories and they were satisfying, but not overfilling. However here in the States the food is 50-100% larger and gives me less calories, plus it makes me bloated and sick to my stomach because I overate.

For example, in Japan I ate a lot of ramen and katsudon. Real ramen is made with a broth from actual animal parts and soy sauce (sometimes miso, too), hand-pulled noodles, slices of pork, and a soft-boiled egg, which comes out to roughly 700-850 calories according to the Japanese sites I've looked at. Katsudon is breaded and deep-fried pork simmered in a sweet soy sauce with onions and egg, which is then served over rice, and that comes out to 800-1000 calories. Compare this to America, where I eat an 8 oz. steak with a sweet potato and some broccoli only to feel like a beached whale while only getting 650 calories.

I have tried cooking some of the Japanese foods I ate (bought a cookbook while I was there) but it didn't make much of a difference, which leads me to believe that the ingredients here just aren't providing me with the nutrition I need, so I'm wondering if there are any "superfoods" that are light on the stomach but heavy on the calories.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennifer0023 HB User
Re: High calorie foods? (need to gain)

You should think of doing a "detox" you can look it up on the web...drink lots of water with lemon squeezed in it (right when you wake up) lemon detoxs the liver and kidneys. You should also think of making green smoothie's and juicing. Think of your body as a car that needs oil..but instead of oil-use veggie's and healthy food. I'm just looking into you getting energy..as for gaining weight becareful you don't eat junk..also the weight will come with age too-so just think of putting healthy foods in your system to give you that energy. Also go out in the sun-for 30 minutes a day..that vitamin D is great on your energy.Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to jennifer0023 For This Useful Post:
N3na (02-16-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennifer0023 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley9 View Post
You should think of doing a "detox" you can look it up on the web...drink lots of water with lemon squeezed in it (right when you wake up) lemon detoxs the liver and kidneys. You should also think of making green smoothie's and juicing. Think of your body as a car that needs oil..but instead of oil-use veggie's and healthy food. I'm just looking into you getting energy..as for gaining weight becareful you don't eat junk..also the weight will come with age too-so just think of putting healthy foods in your system to give you that energy. Also go out in the sun-for 30 minutes a day..that vitamin D is great on your energy.Good luck
What I mean about the detox..is cleansing your body out of anything that is lagging you..making you tired.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

Nuts and peanut butter are very calorie laden, yet full of protein. Maybe that will help!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User

Entenmann's Cheesecake...Haagen Dazs ice cream...cheese...whipped cream on everything.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Nealiusss,

When was the last time you went to a doctor for a complete physical?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
(male)

nealiusss HB User

A complete physical? Probably never. I regularly go see my GI doctor (have an appointment tomorrow actually) and I was seeing an endocrinologist. He tested my thyroid, cortisol, testosterone, and everything else and the only problem he could find was a Vitamin D deficiency, but I got tired of paying $40 per visit only to be told I have a Vitamin D deficiency and then being prescribed overpriced pills so I stopped going and got over-the-counter supplements.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

nealiusss,

It's good that you found out about your vitamin D deficiency. I had the same deficiency and now I take the amount that is recommended for my age. I don't believe in taking an extra large dose as some people do.

I think it's likely that your doctor also checked your B vitamins. At least I hope he did. If you have a problem with absorption, you might not be getting enough B vitamins from food and that might cause a problem with appetite.

In Japan they eat a lot of rice. Do you do the same when you're in the U.S.?
I know that Okinawans eat a lot of whole grains but when it comes to rice, they eat white rice. I don't know why they do that but maybe it just agrees with them. In any event, rice with some olive oil dressing would add calories. You would have to see if it makes you feel bloated.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
(male)

nealiusss HB User

I did eat quite a bit of rice over there, and I eat quite a bit of rice here too, however here I don't eat Japanese short-grain rice and typically eat Korean rice. I'm not sure if there is a nutritional difference there--there's definitely a flavor difference.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Here's an idea: You might try searching, "7 reasons for feeling Bloated" to see if any of the reasons apply to you.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
(male)

nealiusss HB User

The only one on that list that matched was lack of exercise.

And to make things even weirder, despite my lack of exercise I've been having excessive hunger at night for the past three days. Last night I ate dinner, got hungry 3 hours later and ate a second dinner, and then 2 hours later when I went to bed I was starting to get hungry again!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Did you start taking any B-complex vitamins? That might be what's making you hungry. Let us know if you gain any weight.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
(male)

nealiusss HB User

I have been taking B-complex vitamins. Didn't know those would cause hunger. As for weight it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It goes up a few pounds up until my next bowel movement, then I start over from square one.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealiusss View Post
As for weight it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It goes up a few pounds up until my next bowel movement, then I start over from square one.
So, you're eating more but not gaining weight. It reminds me of someone who was very underweight and her doctor told her to eat 3,000 calories per day. She did but it didn't cause her to gain any weight. Many previous doctors had judged her to be Anorexic. But a new doctor decided to examine her digestive track using a stomach scope (gastroscopy). The result was that she had something I think would be called "malabsorption syndrome". And her doctor was able to treat it and clear it up.

Did you discuss anything like this with your doctor? Could this be a possibility?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
(male)

nealiusss HB User

I have also been told I have absorption issues, but at the moment these vitamin-B pills appear to be getting absorbed pretty well. I'm getting hungry more often, I'm less lethargic, and I've been waking up at 7:30AM without an alarm for the past 4 days........so I dunno.

Closed Thread