It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
(male)

Idiosyncratic HB User
Tingling and metallic smell after juicing

Hi,
I searched the web on/off for the past 6 months and cant seem to nail a reason for my symptoms.
I have been juicing everyday for 6 months, i do eat normally daily and am not on a liquid diet. I supplement with a multivitamin, fish oils, vitamin e and some others..Nothing too much.
I usually juice at noon and have a decaf and banana prior to juicing.
I juice with a lot of greens, broccoli, kale, spinach, cucumber, celery, carrot and sweet potato.
Every time i finish drinking it ( almost a liter ) i get tingling in my toes and fingers and when i breath deep through my nose, it smells metallic. Hard to explain, almost the same smell after inhaling water in a pool and breathing through the nose after.
If its too much of any vitamin or mineral how can the symptoms effect me instantly?
Any ideas?
The sensations do go away about an hour after juicing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Tingling and metallic smell after juicing

I'll take a wild guess at it. The only thing I can think of that would cause tingling in your toes and fingers is when blood goes to your stomach for digestion. It may temporarily cause less blood to circulate in your extremities. Although you did have a coffee and banana prior to jucing your system may be reacting differently to your mixture of vegetables.

Metallic smell: Your mixture of green vegetables may be rich in various metals and while you're drinking it you're concentrating on the taste. Then when you're finished drinking, you suddenly become aware of the metallic smell. I know that leafy greens are a fairly good source of iron but I'm not sure if it's enough to cause a smell. Perhaps you have a better than average sense of smell?

Last edited by JohnR41; 02-12-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: delete quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
(male)

Idiosyncratic HB User

Thanks for your response,
It seems my smell gets heightened after juicing. I have a very obvious smell when i breath through my nose 100% of the time after juicing many greens.
I did have a sleeve gastrectomy ( 80% stomach removal) a few years back, perhaps changes blood flow to my stomach. The tingling is always after many greens too.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
(male)

Idiosyncratic HB User

Thanks for your response,
It seems my smell gets heightened after juicing. I have a very obvious smell when i breath through my nose 100% of the time after juicing many greens.
I did have a sleeve gastrectomy ( 80% stomach removal) a few years back, perhaps changes blood flow to my stomach. The tingling is always after many greens too.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
(female)

lifestylephx HB User

Hello, the metallic smell is most likely related to actual body detoxing! Are you using organic produce? And of course washing it prior to juicing? Have you tried juicing earlier in the day? Do you consume your juice within 20 minutes of actual juicing?

Reply Reply