It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
(female)

catmagic HB User
Exclamation Are my eating habits putting me in danger?

Hi there~~ I hope this is an okay board for this. I would appreciate advice from differing sources, because I'm getting mixed messages. It's really just between me and a friend, but it's been bugging me and I don't really know what to think.

Okay, so: my friend thinks I'm not eating enough, and that I will absolutely have a heart attack and die within the next 24 hours. I think this is silly.

I've struggled with eating disorders in the past, yes. I still do; I am plagued by disordered thoughts, and it's difficult to deal with sometimes. HOWEVER, I am doing really well right now, especially in comparison to some of the dumb things I've done before. I am eating every day, and keeping everything down, too. My weight hovers around ~95 lbs (I'm 18, 4'11), whereas previously it had been in the low 80s. I even eat desserts! It's pretty great. I'm a long way from accepting myself, but I don't think I'm in danger.

I have to mention that **THERE ARE WEIRD HEALTH THINGS HAPPENING** that may/may not have to do with my nutrition. I am very, very tired, and usually sleep upwards of 15 hours a day. (This is not a new thing.) My joints hurt - sometimes enough to wake me up, and definitely enough to keep me from kneeling or crouching. This is a ~mystery ailment~ and I really don't know why it's happening. I guess the last major thing is that my lips are extremely chapped - I think I have Cheilitis. I've been slathering them in chapstick and cocoa butter, which I think has helped. I have read this can be linked to eating disorders but v v

So, what do you think? Am I crazy? Am I going to keel over? I'd really appreciate a second opinion~~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Are my eating habits putting me in danger?

Quote:
So, what do you think? Am I crazy? Am I going to keel over? I'd really appreciate a second opinion~~
No, I don't think so.

All those symptoms are the symptoms you would have with "Hypothyroidism". 1) Tired all the time 2) Sleeping long hours 3) Joints that hurt and 4) Chapped or dry skin

You might add to that some other symptoms like slow pulse, feeling cold all the time, dry hair or hair falling out. All of the above can be brought on by stress.

It doesn't mean that you definitly have hypothyroidism but the symptoms seem to point in that direction. The only way to rule it in or out would be to get a blood test specifically for thyroid. See your doctor.

If you have this disorder it's easy to remedy. You just take a medication. I believe it's the hormone "Thyroxine" to replace what your thyroid isn't producing. (underactive Thyroid)

Last edited by JohnR41; 02-09-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User
Re: Are my eating habits putting me in danger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmagic View Post
Hi there~~ I hope this is an okay board for this. I would appreciate advice from differing sources, because I'm getting mixed messages. It's really just between me and a friend, but it's been bugging me and I don't really know what to think.

Okay, so: my friend thinks I'm not eating enough, and that I will absolutely have a heart attack and die within the next 24 hours. I think this is silly.

I've struggled with eating disorders in the past, yes. I still do; I am plagued by disordered thoughts, and it's difficult to deal with sometimes. HOWEVER, I am doing really well right now, especially in comparison to some of the dumb things I've done before. I am eating every day, and keeping everything down, too. My weight hovers around ~95 lbs (I'm 18, 4'11), whereas previously it had been in the low 80s. I even eat desserts! It's pretty great. I'm a long way from accepting myself, but I don't think I'm in danger.

I have to mention that **THERE ARE WEIRD HEALTH THINGS HAPPENING** that may/may not have to do with my nutrition. I am very, very tired, and usually sleep upwards of 15 hours a day. (This is not a new thing.) My joints hurt - sometimes enough to wake me up, and definitely enough to keep me from kneeling or crouching. This is a ~mystery ailment~ and I really don't know why it's happening. I guess the last major thing is that my lips are extremely chapped - I think I have Cheilitis. I've been slathering them in chapstick and cocoa butter, which I think has helped. I have read this can be linked to eating disorders but v v

My opinion is that you should see a Dr.

Have you had your iron levels checked? Most women have low iron to the point of being borderline anemic or having anemia. This would make you very tired.
I take iron supplements as I eat very little red meat, but do eat leafy greens but probably not enough. Dark leafy greens such as spincah, kale etc are good sources of iron. I put spinach in smoothies I make for myself and the kids along with frozen berries.

Also, make sure you are getting enough vit. D either naturally through the sun, 10 mins. daily of unprotected exposure is good. or if you have long winters, take supplements.

Good luck and hope you find some answers...

~Adult onset epilepsy~

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, diet, eating, nutrition