It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
(male)

chaco HB User
Diet to protect liver

I'm recovering from a fairly serious case of liver disease. I took Augmentin around Thanksgiving of last year for 3 days. Two days later, I was admitted to the hospital with bilirubin of 9.1. Five days after that, my bilirubin was 15, and by the end of December, it was 28.1. My pruritis was so severe that I couldn't sleep more than an hour or two a day. From the beginning of December to the end of January, I was in wretched condition. My ALT went to a high of 438.

Thankfully, I'm on my way to recovery. My bilirubin has dropped to 4.1, and is dropping about 2 points a week. My ALT is down to 125 and is dropping about 100 points a week.

My concern now is protecting my liver and the right type of diet to do that. While I was desperately ill, I stayed away from fat, and basically ate a high carb low fat diet.

I read very conflicting advise on the net about diet. Several studies seem to suggest that high carb diets may be associated with fatty liver problems.

I'm wondering if any of you have gone through liver disease like this, and what diet you found to be the best to protect your liver.

I'm asking about diet alone, since I've started exercising 5 to 6 days a week again, including aerobics and strength training.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennifer0023 HB User
Re: Diet to protect liver

I read one should wake up and have luke warm water with squeezed lemon in it..lemon is great for the liver. Also look into juicing or veggie smoothie's. I love them. I went on line and studied each veggie..I love kale, carrots, banana, spinach..with low fat yogurt and soy milk. (I add vitmain mix that i get at my local GNC) but go an study what veggie's benefit the liver. I have had heart issues my whole life (I'm not old but it happens) so since I completely changed my diet, it's been a blessing. I also suggest going to a nutritionist once or twice..they will guide you. Lastly, I've taken up yoga and this has helped me in relax and enjoy the moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to jennifer0023 For This Useful Post:
chaco (02-04-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply