It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
(male)

rayt456 HB User
Question Nutrition for an 18 year old male

Hello to all. I am an 18 yr old male, turning 19 in May, and I have a question related to proper diet, nutrition, and weight management. I am an athlete (runner) and stay quite active, 5'5", and currently 124-126 lbs. However, I am sometimes concerned with my calorie intake. I consume an average of 2,000 calories a day, but there seems to be a rhythm established which occurs every two weeks or so in which I get extremely hungry and may consume upwards of 4,000 calories a day for several days. I gain a pound or so usually, though not visibly, and this disappears again after a few weeks. The cycle then repeats.

What is going on? I have not grown in height at all in the least 2 years, though my face has changed and my back has gotten broader. Am I going through a "dormant" growth stage? I have been something of a late bloomer - I don't currently have facial hair and little body hair.

I eat a healthy diet; I am a vegetarian but make sure that I get plenty of protein in the form of cheese, milk, nuts, and yogurt. I eat whole grains and fruits and vegetables, and don't drink juice or soda.

Do I need to worry about my weight fluctuating a couple pounds? It seems beyond my control at times, because on the days when I do eat a lot, it doesn't even feel like overeating - I am legitimately hungry.

Also, as long as I am in an energy balance, will I still grow and develop naturally? I don't want to mess up my growth, but at the same time I don't want weight gain to affect athletic performance. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Nutrition for an 18 year old male

Greetings! An athletic nutritionist might be able to steer you in the desired direction better than we can! They say if one pound is gained per year at the end of 50 years a person will be 50 pounds overweight. A pound or two might not be much of course and some of this should be watched in case it is water weight. Sometimes medical conditions do that. If desired a professional could be asked. Of course everyone make his own healthcare decisions. peace, sjb

Reply Reply

Tags
nutrition