It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
(male)

Anjovi HB User
Help me tweak my diet?

Hiya folks! I've literally typed this out 3 times (didn't post the 1st time, and accidently
hit backspace the 2nd.....uurrrrrgghghh!)

but at any rate...
I'm a 22 year old male, and I've been working on a diet that meets the needs
of my nourishment as well as my financing. The goal is to make the most
of the money I have. I find that I can't rely on grocery stores for everything I need, as
most of the stuff in there is garbage (including the veggies given todays mono-culture
practise). So I'm going to seperate this into 2 parts.

"Main Diet", and "Supplement/SuperFoods"

I'm just looking to see what input I can get, and perhaps some help in tweaking it.
Hopefully this will even help others, give them some idea's.

But Onwards....

------------------------------------------------------

Main Diet

I find that I can pretty much eat the same thing everyday if I enjoy it enough so
it's helped form my shop, and simplify things. Perhaps too simple, and unvaried?

Morning Snack: an apple (Red delicous, I know not that great but it's better
then a muffin..hehe), a giant scoop of 100% peanut butter. On the side a cup of tea with
100% maple syrup, and milk.

Late Morning/Early Afternoon: 2 Hard Boiled Eggs

4:00 pm-ish:

Either

1) Brown Rice, White Beans, Kale or Spinach, Brussel Sprouts, Onions, Sea Salt,
2 cloves of Garlic, a chunk of shaved ginger root, and a bit of butter for flavour.

or

2) Whole Wheat Noodles, Assorted Beans, Canned Tomatoes, Kale or Spinach, Brussel Sprouts,
Onions, Sea Salt, 2 cloves of Garlic, a chunk of shaved ginger root,
and a bit of butter for flavour.

Evening Snack: an apple, a giant scoop of 100% peanut butter. On the side a cup of tea with
100% maple syrup, and milk.

----------------------------------------------------------

Supplement/'Super' Foods

Since my diet is somewhat limited, I looked into other means to get my daily needs in
the most efficient manner. I'm hoping that there are folks who might be familiar with
this stuff, as it`ll be sort of hard to help me otherwise. I guess we tread on to the
'Alternative' grounds.

- Wheat Grass: I've started growing this recently, and when grown I usually
end up cutting about 1/5 of a tray, and chewing on it per day.

- Kefir: I ferment with organic milk, and drink daily.

- Brewer's yeast: I'll usually have 1 table spoon a day, 2 sometimes.

------------------------------------------------------------

Besides that stuff, I`ll indulge here and there but I really just wanted to focus
on the main diet. See if what I`m missing, and hopefully some workable solutions.

Many Thanks!

Last edited by Anjovi; 02-22-2013 at 12:25 AM. Reason: make easier to read

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Help me tweak my diet?

Greetings! Welcome to the diet and nutrition healthboard. A nutritionist might help a person tweak their diet if desired. I feel it is very important to have a wide variety of foods. If there are any fruits, grains, nuts, or vegetables that have been left out in the diet it should be used immediately. One expensive one might replace two cheaper items if a budget is real tight. Dry items such as a sack of flour for bread making generally contain a fair amount of nutrition in them for the weight and money but those containing water should not be avoided or eliminated for the purpose of money.

I do not see any citrus fruits in this diet so that may need an improvement. There may be other organic fruits that can be grown in a container or obtained for very little. Apples are a superior fruit. If expensive foods are grown then the money can be used for the cheaper things. A different store, farmstand, or area may also have a variety of foods that the one usually shops does not have, contributing to a variety in the nutrients one can get.

There are other types of nut butters for occasional variety if desired such as almond butter, and sunflower butter. For the most part I do not recommend cashew butter because part of the original plant is said to be poisonous. That is not to say that it can never be eaten, only to say I would not use much. No more than 1/6th to one tenth part of a diet should be of the nut foods in my opinion. They are harder to digest.

I would grow a lovely organic garden if at all possible to grow things that otherwise could not be obtained. A pretty container garden might be better than nothing if this cannot be done. In our times that we live I feel it is important for everyone to learn how to do this for both nutrition and finance.

I would not use very much maple syrup as it is sweet and may lower immune system. I would not use ginger it is too spicy for the stomach in my opinion.

Because women sometimes have trouble with ovaries on ginger who knows what sort of hormonal effect it might have on men so that is another reason I do not recommend it.

Personally I would use nutritional yeast instead of brewers yeast it may contribute to the vitamins and have a better flavor.

I would not use any fermented food or cultured wheat foods if possible as it has potential to contribute to gas. I would chew all food eaten as thoroughly as possible mixing it well using small bites. If there are medical symptoms they might need investigation with a professional but everyone makes their own healthcare decisions. Peace, sjb

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
Anjovi (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
(male)

Anjovi HB User

Hey SJB, thanks for the response!

I'll look into oranges as a citrus fruit or just any other if I can find any that pack more bang for the buck!

and perhaps I'll grab some almond milk, but I'm imagining the butter is more nutritional. So I'll take a look into either of those.

I'll be definately looking into gardening now. I really want to figure out a way that I can grow in my little basement suite, during summer and winter...Hopefully find out grow op that can keep me regularly fed year round.

It's funny i never realized ginger root could be bad, luckily garlic seems to do the trick for me. I don't seem to be responding too badly to the supplements I listed so I think i'll toy with them a bit longer.

Thanks for the inspiration! I'll have to do some more experiments, and maybe change my game plan!

have a good day!

Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings, You are welcome! If desired the almond milk may be easily made by putting a cup of water in a blender and one or two tablespoons of almond butter in it and giving it a good whirl! Of course if more cups are wanted more water and a few more tablespoons of the almond butter may be dropped in according to the number of cups. There is another more complicated method using the almonds themselves hot water and a strainer or even just leaving the nuts there without the strainer. Enjoy! Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 02-24-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: addition made

Old 02-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
(male)

Anjovi HB User

oh it's not so much about taste, just convenience. I'm guessing that i should just go with almond butter to start my day..hehe

about to do a shop, gonna see what i end up with this week!

Old 02-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Greetings how true! Usually the made up almond milk does cost a bit more because of the labor and materials for packaging. Therefore sometimes maybe I have a bit less money for something else to nourish me! The almond butter does taste quite good as is! Peace, sjb

Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User

Just throwing in my 2 cents with respect to the maple syrup.....

- It is a 100% natural, pure organic food which cannot be altered
- It is three times as sweet as cane sugar, with fewer calories
- It is 100% pure with no reduction, processing or removal of anything
- It contains manganese and zinc, natural antioxidents which are good for your immune system, male reproductive systems and helps prevent damage to the heart

~Adult onset epilepsy~

Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
(male)

Anjovi HB User

almond butter it is! (thought it'd actually be more expensive...I'll see what I can scrounge up, and post the total supply and cost)

I wasn't planning on changing my maple syrup....hehehe...if nothing else it just tastes so awesome! tastes better then anything i can get at timmie's

Old 02-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjovi View Post
almond butter it is! (thought it'd actually be more expensive...I'll see what I can scrounge up, and post the total supply and cost)

I wasn't planning on changing my maple syrup....hehehe...if nothing else it just tastes so awesome! tastes better then anything i can get at timmie's
Yup, imo it's a superfood, so is honey...buckwheat honey is the best.

~Adult onset epilepsy~

Old 02-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Greetings growing outside might be healthier and less expensive than electric. Cold frames can be made from a window out of an old house and a wooden retaining wall or some bricks. I would be careful not to break it. A no trespassing sign may be useful. Peace, sjb

Old 02-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
(male)

Anjovi HB User

So this is what I came up with for now. This'll cost me about 40$ a week. Still looking for ways to refine the list here. This is pretty much what I'll have consumed in a given day.

I'm thinking of taking the maple syrup out for organic sugar to save some money for something else. But what do you folks think?

Protein:
-White Beans (main dish)
-Canned Assorted Beans (occasional dish)
-Brown Rice (main dish)
-eggs (2 a day)
-Whole Wheat Noodles (occasional dish)

Main Veggies:
-Brussel Sprouts (4-5 in main dish)
-Spinach/Kale (either or)
-Canned Tomato (occasional)

Seasoning Veggies:
-Garlic (2-3 cloves)
-Ginger Root (shavings for flavour)
-White Onions (about 1/3 of one)

Fruits:
-1 banana
-1/2 lemon with water

Morning/Evening Treat:
-100% Peanut Butter
-red delicious apples (better then a muffin if nothing else)
-100% maple syrup with tea

Additional Supplements:
- Organic Milk Kefir (daily)
- Brewer's Yeast (2 table spoons a day)
- A chunk of chewed wheat grass

Old 02-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
(male)

Anjovi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Greetings growing outside might be healthier and less expensive than electric. Cold frames can be made from a window out of an old house and a wooden retaining wall or some bricks. I would be careful not to break it. A no trespassing sign may be useful. Peace, sjb
Yeah if I grow veggies definitely will have to figure something out. Will have to arrange some accommodation with the other folks I live with in this quad-duplex.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Greetings sometimes the community has a place for community gardens to grow food in but they may charge a small fee for it. Even if the first gardens don't grow that well the experience is important for learning. Other gardeners books etc. may help educate a person about how to do organic gardening for good nutrition. Peace, sjb

Reply Reply