It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
(female)

Misnwong HB User
Do you need fiber with Juice?

My family juices once enough for three days, and we juice every three days. I've read that is about the MAX amount of time Juice is still good for. I've been doing some research, and some people are saying that you Need to have fiber with your juice or else it's bad for you.

Do you really need fiber with your juice?
What would happen if you don't have fiber with your juice.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User
Re: Do you need fiber with Juice?

The reason juice is a less healthy option than eating whole fruits and vegetables is because you are often removing a lot of the fibre, and you can easily take in much more sugar (especially with fruit) and many more calories. e.g. you can easily juice several oranges and drink a glass of juice but you would really struggle to eat that same amount of oranges whole because fibre is very filling but you will still be ingesting all of the sugar from those oranges with juice. Juice is rapidly digested and absorbed compared to eating whole fruits and vegetables. So by juicing you are essentially predigesting the food, removing a lot of the fibre which slows down the digestion and it's something your body also needs for things like digestive tract health, concentrating the calories, and rapidly absorbing it, and there is no health benefit to do that to your food, in fact it's the complete opposite of what your body is designed for and really needs. Probably the only benefit is you may get extra vitamins but then you can do that by taking a vitamin pill. The health benefits of eating whole fruits and vegetables that will be digested normally, and contain all the fibre is far better for your body.

The Following User Says Thank You to captjane For This Useful Post:
JohnR41 (03-13-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Captjane, great explanation! I would just add that, in my opinion, promoting high blood sugar is bad for one's health and cancels out any good that might come from consuming the juice.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
captjane (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

Yes I totally agree with you John. anything that quickly raises your blood sugar is a bad idea and can lead to weight gain, and follow on effects on the liver and pancreas for example. But it's also a real shame that there is so much healthy fibre going to waste with juicing and many people don't get enough of that in their diet already.

Last edited by captjane; 03-13-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
(male)

Valer HB User

Thanks captjane, what I would say that main benefit of fiber juice is preventing Constipation...

Closed Thread

Tags
fiber, juice, juicing