It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
(female)

radic HB User
How do you gain weight w/o raising my cholesterol?

My BMI is about 17 which is classified as underweight. I have high cholesterol being that I eat a ton of seafood and foods high in cholesterol such as egg yolk and chicken. I have a really fast metabolism and I lose weight without working out. I was thinking about just gaining a lot of weight by eating whatever but now I can't since I found out my cholesterol is a little over 200.. My LDL is also high but my triglycerides are pretty low. I really want to put on some pounds because I do not like the way I look. Sick vs in good shape.

My plan is to eat lots of avacados, take fish oil and also the other vitamins. Should I eat a lot of rice too? I heard 1 serving was about 500 calories? I'm sure it's not high in cholesterol. I really don't know what else to eat. I don't want to resort to eating nuts because those won't fill me up.. I am willing to give up seafood and eggs, I don't need it! Please help me with any suggestions for my diet! I also want to do some weight lifting/cardio exercises when summer starts even though I'm underweight. But I know building muscles will increase my weight.

Also, when I tell people that my cholesterol is high, they don't believe me..! My cholesterol is higher than my sister's who weighs a lot more than me. I'm not sure why mine is this high but it is and I'm willing to do whatever to lower it.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User
Re: How do you gain weight w/o raising my cholesterol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radic View Post
My BMI is about 17 which is classified as underweight. I have high cholesterol being that I eat a ton of seafood and foods high in cholesterol such as egg yolk and chicken. I have a really fast metabolism and I lose weight without working out. I was thinking about just gaining a lot of weight by eating whatever but now I can't since I found out my cholesterol is a little over 200.. My LDL is also high but my triglycerides are pretty low. I really want to put on some pounds because I do not like the way I look. Sick vs in good shape.

My plan is to eat lots of avacados, take fish oil and also the other vitamins. Should I eat a lot of rice too? I heard 1 serving was about 500 calories? I'm sure it's not high in cholesterol. I really don't know what else to eat. I don't want to resort to eating nuts because those won't fill me up.. I am willing to give up seafood and eggs, I don't need it! Please help me with any suggestions for my diet! I also want to do some weight lifting/cardio exercises when summer starts even though I'm underweight. But I know building muscles will increase my weight.

Hi There,

You mention your LDL (bad cholesterol) as being high. How about your HDL (good cholesterol)?

Also, when I tell people that my cholesterol is high, they don't believe me..! My cholesterol is higher than my sister's who weighs a lot more than me. I'm not sure why mine is this high but it is and I'm willing to do whatever to lower it.
Hi There,

You mention your LDL (bad cholesterol) as being high. How about your HDL (good cholesterol)?

I woud concentrate on eating healthy fats and stay away from trans fats and saturated fats as much as possible.

Avocadoes are good, fish, nuts, olive oil...
Eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies, legumes, oats...to increase your HDL and lower your LDL.

To gain weight, you need to exercise and build muscle...this will increase your weight and give you definition and a toned look but you will look lean and healthy.

Also, I'm not sure if you smoke or not, but smoking is really bad for heart health and cholesterol levels.

What did your Dr. say and/or suggest to you after giving you the results of your bloodwork?

~Adult onset epilepsy~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User

Also, there is nothing wrong with eating chicken and lean cuts of meat.
Stick with chicken breasts as opposed to thighs which tend to be fattier and remove the skin as well.

Protein will help you build muscle more easily.

~Adult onset epilepsy~

Old 03-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings, Welcome to the diet and nutrition message boards! I am sorry about this situation my sympathies. I hope the desired support is found. While I am not sure how I would put on weight without raising cholesterol I can explain how to hopefully lower cholesterol a bit. Everyone makes their own health care choices and decisions in life and is in charge of their own health care, but perhaps a nutritionist could be consulted about this also if desired.

First, cholesterol is in animal products so all of these can be avoided. Oils may are said to make extra cholesterol also but of course avoiding that will not help gain weight.

One persons heart attack risk was said to be below the very low because they were a vegan at the time when the blood cholesterol was taken and the cholesterol was found to be very low at about 80.

I would not be afraid to use nuts and nut butters they will not likely add a lot of cholesterol. I would use no more than 1/10 to 1/6 part of nuts in any one meal however and never use them in the evening meal as they are a bit harder to digest than some other foods.

Sunlight is said to use up cholesterol. I would also avoid products with vitamin D added because cholesterol is used up in the process of making vitamin D in the skin with the sunlight. If the vitamin D is already present from diet perhaps not as much cholesterol will be used up. I would obtain sun before 10 a.m. or after 2 p.m.

Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 03-23-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: grammar change

Closed Thread