It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
(male)

tomadom HB User
Bananas and Leaky Gut Syndrome

Hello everyone.
Was wondering if anyone could clear this up for me. I have Leaky Gut Syndrome and want to know if I can eat Bananas in the morning. My understanding is that if I have Leaky Gut then anything sugary can feed an overgrowth of candida in my gut which is bad. So I'm wondering if the sugar content of bananas is too high for someone with Leaky Gut?

Anyone heard anything or know anything about this?

Thanks very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Bananas and Leaky Gut Syndrome

Leaky gut syndrome can be caused by many food intolerances. Do you know for a fact you have candida overgrowth in the gut? There is no reason you shouldn't be able to eat bananas, as long as they are not one of the foods you are allergic to. Yes, they are high glycemic, but if you have candida overgrowth, that should be being treated as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
(male)

tomadom HB User
Re: Bananas and Leaky Gut Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Leaky gut syndrome can be caused by many food intolerances. Do you know for a fact you have candida overgrowth in the gut? There is no reason you shouldn't be able to eat bananas, as long as they are not one of the foods you are allergic to. Yes, they are high glycemic, but if you have candida overgrowth, that should be being treated as well.
Hi

I agree, Leaky Gut can be caused by food intolerances but I've long suspected Gluten but I'm not sure. Unfortunately, if I do have food intolerances at all then the villi in the intestine becomes damaged and anything containing sugars with more than one sugar molecule (Monosacharides) will not break down properly and ferment. It's this fermentation which leads to the candida overgrowth as sugars get trapped as they're unable to be broken down. So I'm pretty sure, now that I'm in my forties, and understood this to be the source of my problems late in life that I have all of the above. So I'm just trying to choose carefully. The extent of candida overgrowth is not certain. So this is why I am asking about bananas because they contain a descent amount of sugar. I gain weight pretty fast from fruit especially. Discovered this when I was doing 5 x 15km runs a week and gained allot of fat around my waist from just a piece of fruit after my run (definitely not overdoing it at all). I definitely have a problem, and it's getting worse. I know all the old arguments about metabolism slowing down but this is different. This could very well be different when I get up in the morning. Which is another reason why I am asking. I realise your body is primed to take in food after fasting so maybe it handles the sugar from banana's better? The doctor scoffs at me when I say that. You would think they would know.

It's very hard to get good advice these days, even from health professionals, so if there is anyone out there who can add to this then your suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks for the response ladybud.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-14-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Closed Thread