It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
(male)

CiscoEngineer HB User
Question on Digestive Enzymes

Hi All,

Does anyone know the optimum time to take digestive enzymes? I've read countless articles and they all seem to have different theories.

Some say take them before to avoid the enzyme digesting your stomach, which would happen if you take them after (which I find far-fetched). Others say take them before so that the stomach's secretions will activate the enzyme, which would not happen post meal.

Others say take them during or after because absorption will happen in as little as 3 minutes on an empty stomach, removing their benefit. Others say take them after or towards the end to avoid the acid phase of the stomach but catching the alkaline phase required to activate the enzyme.

How are we supposed to know what to do with 5 different theories out there, all of which say the other 4 will render it ineffective? My best logical guess is that taking them mid-meal towards the end is the safest bet.

Any thoughts?

The following user gives a hug of support to CiscoEngineer:
sjb (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Question on Digestive Enzymes

Greetings CiscoEngineer! I want to Welcome you to the Diet and Nutrition message board! I have heard the pre meal and mid meal but had not heard of the post meal yet. I suppose it also depends on the strength of the enzymes also. Some enzymes can be chewed in the mouth. If the enyzmes are not real strong and damaging to the stomach or system I would think eating it 20 minutes to a half an hour ahead would let it absorb and prepare the gastrointestinal system for digestion in my opinion. If the enzymes were real strong then mid meal might be best because it would be less likely to cause trouble, similar to taking a strong medicine such as midmeal to hopefully make it less irritating to the stomach. Peace, sjb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply