It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
(male)

gettingfit444 HB User
5-6 small meals a day for maximum weight loss.

I am just returning to the fitness game this time to stay for life. I know all about the 5-6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism going. Right now I run 5-6 miles 6 days a week, and weight lift 3 days a week. I just recently went from 3 meals a day to 5-6 because I know thats what I need to do in order to see maximum results. My goal is to lose weight, and gain muscle.

My question is though, if I am not really that hungry when it comes time for some of my small in between snack meals should I skip them or eat them anyway? Its absolutely not like I can't eat it's just that I don't have that hungry feeling. I was thinking though that since I just recently (about a week or so ago) went back to the 5-6 a day maybe my metabolism isn't at top speed yet.

Considering my goals are weight loss and muscle gain but more weight loss what do you guys suggest? My meals go like this.

meal 1: Bagel with 2 eggs and a slice of cheese on it for breakfast

Snack 2: Protien bar

Meal3: Dinner consisting of chicken vegetables and a bowl of soup.

snack 4: a little bag of jacks link beef jerky 100 calorie size bag

Meal 5: Last meal of the day. A can of tuna mixed with mayonaisse with some cheese.

I have lost a considerable amount of weight following this diet, minus the snack 2 and 4 that I just recently added. Just wondering what your thoughts are concerning the way sometimes I am not really hungry for my in between meals. I am wondering if on the occasions I am not hungry, I should just skip them, or eat them anyway to keep my metabolism high.

Thanks for any and all input.

Last edited by gettingfit444; 04-05-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
(female)

Terra835 HB User
Re: 5-6 small meals a day for maximum weight loss..

Do you follow that same meal plan day after day? If so has it gotten old eatting the same foods every day?

Old 01-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
(male)

Zubbs1 HB User
Re: 5-6 small meals a day for maximum weight loss.

Eating six small meals a day is no different than eating three moderate meals a day. What you need to focus on is hitting your target macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein). There is a misconception that eating frequently speeds up metabolism. There is an energy expenditure component of metabolism (the energy spent to digest food) called the thermal effect of feeding. However, this is directly proportional to the calorie load you ingest. Hence, eating six meals at three hundred calories each is no different to your body than eating three six hundred calorie meals (assuming the macronutrient totals are the same). However, if you don't have tight control on your meal size, eating less frequently can cause gorging because you feel so famished.

The bigger focus needs to be on targeting the correct number of macros (giving the correct number of calories) for your body. This is dependent on your gender, age, height, and general activity level. This is not an exact science, but it can give a good focus on where to start so that you can track results precisely.

Essentially be more concerned with hitting your fat and protein levels for each day, and use carbs as the filler to bring your caloric total where it needs to be. Most people consume too many carbs each day, which just facilitate fat storage. As far as fats go, focus on healthy fats (olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, avocado, nuts, chia and flax seeds). Stay away from canola, soy, corn, and vegetable oils. For proteins, try to get the cleanest you can (organic grass fed is the top tier, followed by organic, then whatever non organic you find). Hope this helps. Cheers.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-26-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
(male)

Zubbs1 HB User
Re: 5-6 small meals a day for maximum weight loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingfit444 View Post
I am just returning to the fitness game this time to stay for life. I know all about the 5-6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism going. Right now I run 5-6 miles 6 days a week, and weight lift 3 days a week. I just recently went from 3 meals a day to 5-6 because I know thats what I need to do in order to see maximum results. My goal is to lose weight, and gain muscle.

My question is though, if I am not really that hungry when it comes time for some of my small in between snack meals should I skip them or eat them anyway? Its absolutely not like I can't eat it's just that I don't have that hungry feeling. I was thinking though that since I just recently (about a week or so ago) went back to the 5-6 a day maybe my metabolism isn't at top speed yet.

Considering my goals are weight loss and muscle gain but more weight loss what do you guys suggest? My meals go like this.

meal 1: Bagel with 2 eggs and a slice of cheese on it for breakfast

Snack 2: Protien bar

Meal3: Dinner consisting of chicken vegetables and a bowl of soup.

snack 4: a little bag of jacks link beef jerky 100 calorie size bag

Meal 5: Last meal of the day. A can of tuna mixed with mayonaisse with some cheese.

I have lost a considerable amount of weight following this diet, minus the snack 2 and 4 that I just recently added. Just wondering what your thoughts are concerning the way sometimes I am not really hungry for my in between meals. I am wondering if on the occasions I am not hungry, I should just skip them, or eat them anyway to keep my metabolism high.

Thanks for any and all input.
Eating six small meals a day is no different than eating three moderate meals a day. What you need to focus on is hitting your target macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein). There is a misconception that eating frequently speeds up metabolism. There is an energy expenditure component of metabolism (the energy spent to digest food) called the thermal effect of feeding. However, this is directly proportional to the calorie load you ingest. Hence, eating six meals at three hundred calories each is no different to your body than eating three six hundred calorie meals (assuming the macronutrient totals are the same). However, if you don't have tight control on your meal size, eating less frequently can cause gorging because you feel so famished.

The bigger focus needs to be on targeting the correct number of macros (giving the correct number of calories) for your body. This is dependent on your gender, age, height, and general activity level. This is not an exact science, but it can give a good focus on where to start so that you can track results precisely.

There is a really good description of how to calculate your caloric needs and then how to derive your macronutrients from this from a user on another forum. I cannot link to it, so pm me if you want information. The summary is as follows:
Quote:
Mifflin-St Jeor: Developed in the 1990s and more realistic in todays settings. Still doesn't consider the differences as a consequence of high BF%. Thus it again OVERESTIMATES NEEDS, ESPECIALLY IN THE OVERWEIGHT.
MEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5
WOMEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -161
Plug your numbers into the equation to get your caloric requirements to maintain your exact weight. Subtract 10-20% of those calories to get a targeted weight loss caloric need. From that you want about 0.4g fat and 0.6-0.8 g protein per pound bodyweight. The remaining calories are for carbs. There are 9 calories per gram fat and 4 calories per gram of carb and protein.

After you calculate your numbers, get a kitchen scale and track what you eat to hit your target macros. Track weight for two weeks then adjust if needed. When dialed in correctly, you will be on a sufficient deficit to equal about a pound a week loss (which is a healthy way to lose weight).

As far as fats go, focus on healthy fats (olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, avocado, nuts, chia and flax seeds). Stay away from canola, soy, corn, and vegetable oils. For proteins, try to get the cleanest you can (organic grass fed is the top tier, followed by organic, then whatever non organic you find).

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Reply Reply