It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
(male)

jonas123 HB User
My Diet is Horrible

Ever since my medication started getting raised, my diet has been progressively getting worse and worse. Here is what I eat on a regular basis:

Breakfast: This part of my diet is not so bad. I mix 1/3 cup oatmeal with ground flaxseed, ground saigon cinnamon, 2/3 cup water, then microwave the constituents. After microwaving for 110 seconds, I add some coconut oil to it and stir the ingredients, and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes until it is cool enough to eat.

Lunch: This is where my diet gets horrible. I eat a large spoonful of processed peanut butter (Skippy) with chocolate flavored almond milk. However, when I consume the chocolate flavored almond milk, I add alot of Hershey's milk chocolate syrup to it.

Snack: Same thing as lunch.

Dinner: Same thing as lunch.

I am lacking all kinds of nutrients in my diet. I do drink a pretty adequate amount of water though. My goal is to reduce the medication enough so that I will go on a 100% healthy balanced staple diet of raw - organic when possible - vegetables and fruits, and drink purified water as my only beverage. I used to be on a pretty healthy diet back when my medication was at a low dose.

Here is what I used to eat:

Raw vegetables, raw fruits, legumes, nuts, seeds, whole grains, and purified water as my only beverage. Also, all of the foods that I ate were nonprocessed and only contained one ingredient: the food itself. I did not eat everything raw though; I cooked the legumes and brown rice. I would also mill the flaxseed that I ate.

The reason why my goal is to make my staple diet 100% raw vegetables, fruits and purified water is because I believe that I could survive on just those substances and not get down to a dangerously low weight. The vegetables and fruits that I would eat would include avocados and potatoes. Avocados for healthy fats and potatoes for complex carbohydrates and complete protein. Between those two foods, I would be getting all of the macronutrients needed to sustain life. Moreover, in addition to those two foods, I would be eating a wide variety of raw vegetables and fruits. To name some: squash, leafy greens, peppers, citrus fruits, etc.

I have the theory down, now it's just time to practice...

Last edited by jonas123; 07-05-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: My Diet is Horrible

Can you clarify what medication you are talking about and why you think it is affecting your diet choices? I'm missing something from your story and I think it is unclear what the relationship is.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
(male)

jonas123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Can you clarify what medication you are talking about and why you think it is affecting your diet choices? I'm missing something from your story and I think it is unclear what the relationship is.
The medication that I am taking is Zyprexa (Olanzapine). I know it does not make sense; it is just what I have observed about myself.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
(female)

Terra835 HB User

So for lunch and dinner you just have a spoonful of peanut butter and chocolate milk? Thats not much of a meal, I dont think you can even call that a meal.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #5
(male)

jonas123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra835 View Post
So for lunch and dinner you just have a spoonful of peanut butter and chocolate milk? Thats not much of a meal, I dont think you can even call that a meal.
Yes, I know; it was a very large spoonful of peanut butter though. However, I am not on as bad of a diet anymore. Lately I have been eating healthy for most of the day, and then at the end of the day I have some things that are not so healthy (processed foods). My goal is to be as disciplined as possible (in what I consume and in general). I am far from that goal - I still have a ways to go.

Last edited by jonas123; 01-18-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
(female)

Terra835 HB User

Well I wish you the best of luck

Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
(male)

Zubbs1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas123 View Post
Ever since my medication started getting raised, my diet has been progressively getting worse and worse. Here is what I eat on a regular basis:

Breakfast: This part of my diet is not so bad. I mix 1/3 cup oatmeal with ground flaxseed, ground saigon cinnamon, 2/3 cup water, then microwave the constituents. After microwaving for 110 seconds, I add some coconut oil to it and stir the ingredients, and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes until it is cool enough to eat.

Lunch: This is where my diet gets horrible. I eat a large spoonful of processed peanut butter (Skippy) with chocolate flavored almond milk. However, when I consume the chocolate flavored almond milk, I add alot of Hershey's milk chocolate syrup to it.

Snack: Same thing as lunch.

Dinner: Same thing as lunch.

I am lacking all kinds of nutrients in my diet. I do drink a pretty adequate amount of water though. My goal is to reduce the medication enough so that I will go on a 100% healthy balanced staple diet of raw - organic when possible - vegetables and fruits, and drink purified water as my only beverage. I used to be on a pretty healthy diet back when my medication was at a low dose.

Here is what I used to eat:

Raw vegetables, raw fruits, legumes, nuts, seeds, whole grains, and purified water as my only beverage. Also, all of the foods that I ate were nonprocessed and only contained one ingredient: the food itself. I did not eat everything raw though; I cooked the legumes and brown rice. I would also mill the flaxseed that I ate.

The reason why my goal is to make my staple diet 100% raw vegetables, fruits and purified water is because I believe that I could survive on just those substances and not get down to a dangerously low weight. The vegetables and fruits that I would eat would include avocados and potatoes. Avocados for healthy fats and potatoes for complex carbohydrates and complete protein. Between those two foods, I would be getting all of the macronutrients needed to sustain life. Moreover, in addition to those two foods, I would be eating a wide variety of raw vegetables and fruits. To name some: squash, leafy greens, peppers, citrus fruits, etc.

I have the theory down, now it's just time to practice...
What you eat is a choice. You have ambitious goals and no plan of attack. Plan your meals out ahead of time, prepare them ahead of time, and log them so you are accountable. Obviously eating peanut butter flavored chocolate milk is malnourishing.

Your breakfast choice is admirable, until you microwave it. Just heat your water in a pan.

There are plenty of raw vegans that live a healthy lifestyle eating a diet similar to your goal.

Try adding vegetables into your diet rather than attempting to flip a switch and magically be 100% perfect.

Best of luck

Cheers.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:57 AM   #8
(male)

Penguinboy55 HB User

I am also on olanzapine and my hunger increased so much and gained lots of weight. After my psychiatrist increased the dose from 2.5mg to 5mg I got even more hungry. You need to force yourself to eat healthier. Some chicken with rice and a few veggies is good enough for now. Or you could take multi vitamins to replenish and restore your what you lack.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
(male)

jonas123 HB User

Yes, I know my diet was - and is still - wrong. However, my diet is not as bad as it used to be. Now my diet consists of the following:

Breakfast:

1.) Raw green vegetables
2.) Raw potatoes
3.) Raw orange
4.) Raw avocado
5.) Some kind of fish (which is cooked before eating)

Lunch:

1.) Raw avocado
2.) I microwave a mixture of oatmeal, ground flaxseed, and processed dried fruit.
3.) Some kind of cooked fish

Dinner: This is where my diet is obviously completely wrong.

1.) A very large spoonful of processed Skippy peanut butter.
2.) "Quick Mass" protein/nutrition powder mixed with processed chocolate-flavored almond milk.

My goal is to convert all of my meals to what I eat at breakfast (without the fish). I am still far from that goal. Here is how I see my diet when I reach my goal:

Meal 1:

1.) Raw organic green vegetables
2.) Raw organic potatoes
3.) Raw organic oranges - or similar citrus fruits, like tangerines, clementines, etc.
4.) Raw organic avocados (or other fruits that are good sources of healthy fats, like durian, coconut, etc.)

Meal 2:

Same as first meal.

Meal 3:

Same as second meal.

I would also drink the purest water available as my only beverage throughout the day.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-06-2014 at 12:50 AM.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

You have improved your diet quite a bit. One suggestion would be to add some eggs, more legumes, to increase your protein, which will stave off hunger pangs. You could add low fat yogurt, cheese, and rice, quinoa, for whole grains. Peanut butter and almond milk are ok with your protein powder. You have to have something that tastes good to you and you have made good progress. If not opposed to meat, some chicken could add variety so you don't get sick of fish. Variety with portion control is better IMO than severely restricting the foods you eat. I would take a multivitamin too to fill in the gaps.

Reply Reply