It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
(female)

Mayalover1 HB User
Has a gluten-free lifestyle helped your health?

Hello,
I am new to the community. I wondered if anyone here has become healthier following a gluten-free diet.

I am 35 and female. I am diagnosed Type 1 diabetes, have psorasis and psoriatic arthritis, & Hashimoto thyroiditis (Hashi not treated prior to now). Recently, my TSH came back at 9.2 and my thyroid antibodies 213. I was then placed on Levothyroxin 25mcg and in six weeks my TSH is now at 3.70, so it appears I am responding pretty well to treatment.

A genetics test a few years ago indicated I am at high risk for developing celiac's disease. Since then I have went gluten-free for short amounts of time and always felt better and digestive issues solved, but finding gluten-free food in my rural area is difficult and I tend to lapse on the diet.

However, I have been gluten-free now for 5 days and feeling somewhat better already. I intend to make this a lifestyle change for good this time.
I guess my real question to persons here is, has following a strict gluten-free diet greatly improved your autoimmune illnesses?

Old 07-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

islandboy HB User
Re: Has a gluten-free lifestyle helped your health?

My wife and I went gluten free this year for 15 weeks having never done it before, thyroid issues with getting pregnant (Hashis) was the driving factor. For me personally I found i had more energy and didn't feel as bloated when I ate things like pasta even though I could still eat a lot and know that I was full. My wife's TSH went from over 5 to just above 1, we're back on regular foods mainly (although still mostly organic and Non-GMO) now and her levels jumped back to over 5, however she also stopped the Selenium so we're now trying to figure out whether one of them caused the TSH issue to finally resolve, will try and remember to report back later what we found.

The Following User Says Thank You to islandboy For This Useful Post:
Mayalover1 (07-22-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
(female)

Mayalover1 HB User

Thank you so much for the information.... I'm glad it helped you both. I adhered to my diet until yesterday. My husband took me out to eat for my birthday and I ate what I wanted. Today I woke up stiff, lethargic and with swollen knees. Up until now my symptoms had greatly improved so I know I must watch my diet. I am know researching anti-inflammatory foods and "leaky gut syndrome". Thanks again and please report your results back. I will also post any helpful research I come acoss.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
(female)

Lipglossjunky73 HB User

Going GF has helped so many of my friends!!!! They swear by it!

Old 07-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
(male)

DurdenEgo HB User

I have Been Hypo for 14 years. Snth@1.75 and clean diet. My Daughter is having test for Gluten/Celiacs. So ive been studying. and while im reading it happened..BAM!

Turns out Thyroid-ers should be on NO SOY (WE know), but the same for GLUTEN. Do some research, Leaky Gut -Thyroid - Gluten - Soy -// If have noticed huge that with no gluten my stomach is deflated. So yes much luck! My advice, Go PALEO, and gluten free rolls right with it. BE CAREFUL, stay away from GLUTEN FREE Frozen dinners you think is ok. Go to the store, walk on the outside wall. no need to go down the isles. PALEO/Gluten FREE.....DO it

Closed Thread

Tags
autoimmune diseases, gluten-free, hashimoto thyroid, psoriasis, type 1 diabetes