It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013, 06:07 AM   #1
(female)

sixspotdinosaur HB User
I'm 48 and weigh less now than when I was a teenager

And whilst I am pleased in one way, I do sometimes worry about whether there is anything sinister going on!

I'm 48 years old, a lawyer and a mother of three boys, one of whom has severe autism, so my life is quite busy and sometimes a bit stressful.

I do eat pretty healthily and about 3.5 years ago I started to make a serious effort to increase the amount of exercise I do. I started walking to work (just under five miles, about 7.7 km) 3 - 4 times a week, and making sure I was walking fast, doing the distance in just over one hour. I also started doing Pilates 1 - 2 times a week.

Last September I decided that I felt fit enough to add in some running as well as fast walking, so have done a steadily increasing amount of running since then, so that for the last six months I have been doing over 100 km of running and fast walking (combined) each month, plus quite a bit of Pilates.

So far so good BUT I now find that my weight is hovering around the 126 lbs mark (I am 5 ft 5 ins) which is certainly not underweight but is the lightest I have ever been since I was about 14 years old! At one stage I am sure I was over 140 lbs (I used to not weigh myself as I was so embarrassed about how fat I was).

Is it really possible that it is just doing more exercise that has brought about this weight loss? I eat really healthily and I don't count calories - the only thing I do do is try and avoid bad carbs, especially bread, as they give me really bad energy dip a couple of hours after eating.

Thanks for reading!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: I'm 48 and weigh less now than when I was a teenager

It's quite possible that you're exercising too much for the amount of calories you're taking in. I don't understand why you would keep increasing your exercise regimen. Is more always better? I would try cutting back on the running. Not that you are underweight but it just seems like too much exercise. If your weight starts going up, you have the option of cutting back on high calorie processed foods or just fats and starches in general. Then replace those items with more fresh fruits and non-starchy vegetables.

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-29-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
(female)

MyCat55 HB UserMyCat55 HB UserMyCat55 HB User

If you do more exercise than the calories you can consume you will lose weight.

If you don't want to lose any more weight then either stop the walking or the running.

If you don't want to stop either then you need to eat more.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
(female)

Patientone2 HB User

How would you feel about tracking your calories and activity? It's free.

it will give you a clearer picture of what's going on .

Last edited by moderator2; 08-08-2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Old 09-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
(male)

earthinglover HB User

I went on a pretty hardcore weight loss binge a few years back and lost about 50 pounds in 4 months. I could run crazy far but I definitely wasn't eating enough. it's possible that you're not eating enough. I'd say consult your doctor and they'd be able to tell you if you're at a healthy weight for you size/age.

Reply Reply