It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2003, 05:01 PM   #1
(male)

Perry2 HB User
How long for Prevacid to work on ulcer?

I had chest pain that I thought was heart related for the whole month of September. I have been taking prevacid for close to a month now and after good results the first week I am not improving. 1 cup of coffee a day starts nausea in the morning which comes and goes throughout the day. I am a weightlifter who has taken advil daily for the last few years so my MD thinks I have a non viral ulcer so he won't give me an anti-biotic. Has done no diagnostics yet either. It seems like the antacids that helped a month ago are also less effective. I normally drink skimmed milk with a whey supplement throughout the day as well but this too seems to cause discomfort. I am going to stop the milk/whey and the coffee and if this doesn't work I will ask the Doc to switch me from the Prevacid to Zantac because the nausea seemed to start only after the Prevacid. Am I giving up too early?

Old 11-06-2003, 06:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
I wouldn't speculate on having an ulcer. I would rather have it diagnosed by a gastroenterologist via endoscopy. Ucers are usually caused by the h-pylori bacteria. NSAIDs (advil, naproxen, ...) also are a common cause for ulcers. I would be safe and not take the advil for now. If you have an ulcer and assuming the ulcer isn't too bad, the standard treatment is antibiotics (if it's caused by bacteria), ppis (prevacid, nexium, etc) and diet change. Usually ppis and diet change are effective for nonbacterial ulcers in 4-8 weeks. NSAID induced ulcers may take longer to heal. Prevacid may cause nausea and I believe it is a listed side effect. The important thing to do is find out if you actually have an ulcer so you aren't taking meds that might not be needed. Your doctor may schedule you for an endoscope if your current medications aren't helping. Or he may switch you to another ppi like nexium. But if you don't have an ulcer, you may be taking madications unecessarily. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2003, 10:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Perry,
I agree with actudan!!!

About 85% of ulcers are caused by H.pylori bacteria and I guess the rest are caused by errosion of the stomach lining by mostly various types of medication. Coffee should always not be used at all-- regardless of the cause.

The best diagnosis is an endoscope exam and take biopsies to really determine the cause and proper treatment. I think it's just guessing doing it any other way and any type of anti-acid and diet changes will take at least 3 months plus or so.

That is the way ulcers use to be treated before Dr Barry MarshallMD of Perth, Australia discovered the H.pylori bacteria connecting in 1982.

I strongly encourage you to get a positive diagnosis --- then if it is an ulcer get the proper treatment.

Last edited by Harry; 11-07-2003 at 10:26 PM.

Closed Thread