It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2003, 08:46 PM   #1

bruised HB User
Gnawing pain on both sides of upper stomach?

Has anyone ever had a gnawing pain just below both ribs on both sides of the upper stomach.It's like if you clench your fist and you can feel it swell?For me it goes away within a couple minutes,but it stops me from what I'm doing.It's not a burning feeling,rather a gnawing.??Understand what I mean?It's sharp feeling.My back doesn't hurt.Anyone had this before on both sides?

Old 11-15-2003, 02:29 PM   #2

zzzzlady HB User
Hello,
I have had that exact symptom for a couple of years now. I had two upper GI barium swallow tests. The first time, they found a small hiatal hernia. The 2nd test found nothing. Maybe the hiatal hernia is the sliding type. Can a hiatal hernia cause pain like that?? I am at a lost. The pain is always there, sometimes worst than other times. It feels like a gnawing discomfort and it's on both sides. Sometimes it feels like it's straight across the top of my stomach, directly under my ribs. Sometimes it feels like a gnawing hungrey pain, but there were no ulcers found on my tests. It is very annoying, and I'm not sure which route to go. It doesn't match gallbladder disease. I also had the GB ultrasound but found nothing.

If you can find a possible answer or relief, please post back again and share it with us.

thanks for posting !
Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2003, 03:38 PM   #3
Inactive

Saraly HB User
I have that kind of pain too. I had an endoscopy in September that revealed gastritis, polyps and a small hernia.
The biopsies showed H Pylori and ulcer cells.

Old 11-15-2003, 07:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
I've had a few of those sort of incidences and I assumed that is was a spasm or 'charlie horse' like cramp. It usually passes quickly. I have also been suffering from abdominal pains, nausea and URQ discomfort for months now. I have been given the IBS diagnosis but I am having a hard time accepting it. I have had all the tests and now I am waiting for a second opinion. Good luck!

Closed Thread