It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2003, 08:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Thumbs up Information Archive

I have seen different topics that keep coming up about digestive problems and I thought it may be useful to start a Thread devoted to Digestive problems.
If you find a link or web site that is informative feel free to post it on this Thread. Just make sure it's not a commercial site than sells or advertises products. All sites that end in .edu or .gov are OK. Be sure you read the board Posting Policy to make sure the site does not violate any board Rules!!

Last edited by moderator4; 12-18-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Old 11-21-2003, 07:35 AM   #2
(male)

HRH HB User
Question Re: Information Archive

This seems like a good link to post
It's about long term use of proton Pump Inhibitors---

[url]http://www.hhmi.org/news/merchant.html[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2003, 10:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Re: Information Archive

This is from the IBS forum but I think it's a great article to cross reference your symptoms too if you procedures aren't finding anything.

[url]http://www.jhu.edu/~jhumag/0497web/gastro1.html[/url]

Old 11-21-2003, 08:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: Information Archive

Gallbladder Surgery Sites:

[url]http://www.sages.org/pi_cholecystectomy.html[/url]

[url]http://www.upmc.edu/minsurg/LapGallbladder.htm[/url]

Last edited by Harry; 11-21-2003 at 09:20 PM.

Old 11-23-2003, 09:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Very Good Site about Esoghagus,GERD,Barrett's,Endoscopy,and Digestion:

[url]http://health.nih.gov/result.asp?disease_id=242&catagory_id5&t erms=&pagetrack=[/url]

Just click on what you want some info about.

Old 12-01-2003, 10:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

Can we list books that we think may be helpful or is that against forum rules? I don't want to advertise but I find suggested books by those suffering from some sort of ailment to be the best ones to read. I guess you are getting a perspective on the book that is aligned with your point of view. Well, something like that...

Old 12-03-2003, 08:02 AM   #7
Inactive

ConnieR-E HB User

I found this board while I was researching something else, but as I read all the subject threads about IBS, Gerd, chronic stomach pain, Crohn's, gas, "D", polyps, bloody stools, reflux, and stomach disorders in general, I realized that many of you could have a genetic autoimmune disorder called Celiac Disease!

This is something you would be born with, and left untreated (thru diet) it would most certainly cause many of these other ailments! Wouldn't it be great to help slow down or even eliminate the disorders you have by only removing a food in your diet?

I have Celiac, and I gladly avoid wheat, rye, barley, and oats (and anything made with, or from them). It was a little challenging at first, but the benefits definately outweigh the inconveniences.

If you have any of the few symptoms listed above, I would greatly urge you to read up on Celiac Disease!!

Several good sites are:
[url]http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/gi/celiac.html[/url]

[url]http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/319/7204/236[/url]

Tell them Connie sent ya! ;-)

Last edited by moderator4; 12-03-2003 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Do not post other message boards. Please carefully read and follow the board posting guidelines. Thank you.

Old 12-03-2003, 11:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

A great reference book to have at home is

Prescription for Nutritional Healing: A Practical A-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs, and Food Supplements (Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 3rd Ed)

This book contains a lot of useful information and is very easy to read. There are many dieseases listed including good descriptions, symptoms, possible causes and treatment with vitamins, herbs and traditional medicine. Anyway, I think this is a really good book to have on hand.

Old 12-30-2003, 10:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Here is a good site about Celiac Disease:

[url]http://www.aafp.org/afp/980301ap/pruessn.html[/url]

This site also discusses problems associated with Celiac like malabsorption and skin problems.

Last edited by Harry; 12-30-2003 at 10:40 AM.

Old 11-09-2004, 05:06 PM   #10
(female)

EosLady HB User
Lightbulb Re: Information Archive

Eosinophilic Gastrointestinal Disorders (EGID) are growing in prevalence in the world...
The symptoms of these disorders are familiar ones that are the same as many other GI problems...
EE Eosinophilic Esophagitis is inflammation in the esophagus. It will cause symptoms of choking, food getting stuck, vomitting...
EG Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis affects the stomach and small intestine... Such symptoms as diverse or specific GI pain, vomitting, diareah, constipation, nausea, feeling full after eating a partial meal, bloating...
EC is in the Colon and all the above symtpoms apply...

Eosinophils are normal in our bodies, but not in the amounts seen in eosinophilic disease... This disease may be an allergic reaction that does not show on allergy tests, or Idiopathic.

To start your search to see if this might be your problem go to APFED.Org and check out many links from there...
Without numerous biopsies this disease can be missed...

Good luck and I hope that this may provide an answer for some of you who are suffering...

Old 02-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #11
(male)

trebor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH
This seems like a good link to post
It's about long term use of proton Pump Inhibitors---

[url]http://www.hhmi.org/news/merchant.html[/url]
Excellent article, HRH. The main thesis is that "omeprazole promotes bacterial overgrowth" so that long-term use could lead to other problems.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
(female)

smoochkin HB User

I dont plan om taking these meds long term. I have had it with my Dr. she seems to only want healthy patients. Im going to fix this naturally on my own. All i know is that my glands in my neck have been sore and i wake up with excessive mucus. Dr wont even deal with this...but this came first. I Think if i fix this problem the other will.correct itself.

Im also going to try slippery elm and siberian pine nut oil. I hate that drs just throw pills at you.

I had a colonoscopy years back for lower right sided pain n got dxd with ibs...but i had NO bowel issues. Found out that my pain was from an ovarian cyst!!! Drs misdiagnose and im not allowing them to do that again. I had a ct scan to rule out big problems. So that is the extent of testing im allowing at this time.

Reply Reply