It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2003, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

Karon HB User
Bile Reflux

I recently had a scope done and was diagnosed with Bile and acid reflux into my esophagus and was prescribed 2 Losac/day and 4 of another drug per day that sounds like a wine (I don't have it with me) something like Don Parion. Also other tests have been ordered. I'm just curious if anyone knows whether Bile Reflux automatically comes with Acid Reflux. If you have one do you automatically have the other? I'd appreciate any comments. Tx Karon

Old 11-28-2003, 09:10 PM   #2

Broadwaygirl03 HB User
Re: Bile Reflux

I have bile reflux w/o acid reflux. Bile reflux, from my understanding, it because some valuve near the end of your tummy doesn't close tightly enough and bile seeps into the tummy. My doctor told me once, where most people reflux from their esophogus (sp) up, my entire GI system refluxes. Anyway I think it's a common duo but not nessesarily all the time
~Into the Woods

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2003, 09:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

It's not uncommon to have bile reflux -- I have it most mornings. I have had My Gallbladder removed and I guess at night -- it just gets secreted with no place to go and I belch and taste it in the morning.

Since it's not an acid, I really have not been concerned--- the acid can erode the esophagus causing damage.

Old 12-02-2003, 11:09 AM   #4

Karen20 HB User

Hello,

I have bile and acid reflux too and I find it awful to live with. I've tried all the pills that the doctor has given me and none of them work. I personally found that Losec made me feel very ill with extremely bad stomach pains but everyone reacts differently to medicines.

I think that the other tablets you have are called domperidone (also called Motilium over here in England), I take them too 3 times a day but they don't help that much.

Has anyone out there found anything that helps their bile reflux?

Karen

Old 12-05-2003, 03:54 PM   #5

Karen20 HB User

no one then?

Old 12-06-2003, 06:36 PM   #6

prostator HB User

Karen, I also have awful reflux problems. How did the doctor diagnose you with bile reflux? It seems, at least from what my doctor told me, that it is a diagnosis of exclusion. The only way to find out is to have 24 hour-pH monitoring done. And then, if acid is not detected, bile must be the problem. The bad news is that there are no drugs that effectively combat bile. The only option would be surgery. I also take domperidone, and it has helped. How much of it do you take? You can take as much as 20 mg 4 times day. Maybe an increase would help you. Also, I have found Gaviscon antacid liquid to be helpful. It really soothes my throat. Best of luck.

Old 12-07-2003, 10:44 AM   #7

Karen20 HB User

Hi Prostator,

Thanks for replying. My bile reflux was diagnosed by having an endoscopy. I take 20mg of Domperidone 3 times a day. I've also had a 24 hr PH test and the doctor didn't think that there wasn't anything wrong with that even though I have acid reflux almost constantly.
I am starting to think that it is all caused or at least, made worse by anxiety.

Karen

Old 12-09-2003, 11:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Smile Re: Bile Reflux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen20
Hi Prostator,

Thanks for replying. My bile reflux was diagnosed by having an endoscopy. I take 20mg of Domperidone 3 times a day. I've also had a 24 hr PH test and the doctor didn't think that there wasn't anything wrong with that even though I have acid reflux almost constantly.
I am starting to think that it is all caused or at least, made worse by anxiety.

Karen
Bile relux is common with panic and anxiety attacks. There are medications that work for this. Usually you have either an intestine problem caused by the bile or reflux of bile which irritates the sinus drainage area in your throat. With anxiety to much bile is let out and therefore more acid is released. The bile is not easily disolved by the acid so it comes up or goes down causing problems. Xanax is one drug that is used if your anxieties or panic attacks are severe. This is addictive and is commonly only used with severe panic attack symptoms also. There is another drug that is safe to use that you might bring to your doctors attention. It is called Carafate (Sucralfate generic name). It is a super ant-acid that coats the stomach and weights down the bile so it will flow out through the intestine properly. Also by coating the stomach and intestines it lets ulcers and such heal. Check with you doctor and get his advice. By stopping the acids and weighting the bile, it stops the bile flow from reversing upwards. Good luck

Sickman

Old 12-09-2003, 03:53 PM   #9

Karen20 HB User
Smile Re: Bile Reflux

Sickman,

Thanks for the information, it was very helpful. I've already tried Sucralfate and I don't think it seemed to work but I was only on it for a month and so maybe I should have given it a bit longer.

I think that the anxiety has been brought on by reflux not tha it is the cause of the reflux.
I have a doctors appointment on Thursday and so I will talk it over with him then. I am only 20 and I'm so fed up of this, I can't believe that I am supposed to feel this bad forever and that there is nothing the doctors can do for it.

Thanks again for your help,

Karen

Old 12-09-2003, 04:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User

Quote Deleted

Guess what, I have bile reflux and have had it for a long time. I just got back from the Doctor and he had the results of my ultra-sound test on my abdomen area. My gall bladder is full of sluge and they will be removing it. My wife had this done at about your age and she has had no problems since. They now can do this with just a few slits instead of a big scare to remove it. I'm not trying to scare you but I know that you are trying to find the answer and feel better. You may ask for an ultra-sound just to rule this out and feel better about your condition. Sorry to have to say this, but I like to be honest and share my personal expriences that might help others. Good luck.

Sickman

Last edited by moderator4; 12-09-2003 at 09:59 PM.

Closed Thread