It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2003, 05:26 PM   #1
(female)

kim_okla HB User
Phantom gallstones? Abdominal charlie horse?

I had my gallbladder out 2 years ago. 11 months later I had an attack like a gallstone but worse. Started with an uncomfortable, tight pain under the middle of breasts. Then it felt like my entire abdomen went into a charlie horse (leg cramp). Sweating and panting cause that's the only way I could breath. It lasted 15-20 minutes then was gone like it never happened.

I had an ultrasound to look for a stray gallstone, negative. Not a kidney stone. They are getting more frequent now every 2-3 weeks.

I have been to the doctor twice, they don't know either. Last time I got an under the tongue muscle relaxer to see if it decreases the duration of the attack. The last time I did try the medicine and felt better in 9 minutes but not good for 18 minutes so no, I don't think it decreased the duration of attack but it did the pain.

I don't have reflux/heartburn. Bowels are normal (post gallbladder surgery) no diarrhea or constipation, just soft stools since GB surgery.

If anyone can give me a direction to look or rule out test you've already had, I would be very appreciative.

Old 12-08-2003, 04:03 AM   #2

penquinlady HB User
Re: Phantom gallstones? Abdominal charlie horse?

Hi kim_okla...we may have similar problems. I too have had my GB out ...15 yrs ago. I also get this pain or tightening just under the breast bone. i can feel the pain all the way through to my back as well. Can't catch my breath sometimes. Have gone to emerg many times as it can get real bad! They gave me uscle relaxer pills which don't really help much. I take percocet when it gets real bad . I have have most tests like, barium swallow, ultra sound, cat scan and endoscopy just recently done. Nothing has showed up so far. In attempts to say the cause they thought it might be IBS,Hiatus Hernia or Gerds. I too don't suffer from reflux/heartburn or gas/bloated feelings. My bowels are for the most part pretty good too. It never occurs after the same diet or even alcohol. Each time is different it seems. It can occur out of no where during the day, morning or wakes me up in middle of night. Lasts few minutes for small one to hours and hours of excuriating pain with no apparen relief in site. I can not offer any advice as I don't know aabout myself either . Just keep going to see the doctors there must be an answer out there.
Penquinlady...good luck...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2003, 08:25 AM   #3

fran stout HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by penquinlady
Hi kim_okla...we may have similar problems. I too have had my GB out ...15 yrs ago. I also get this pain or tightening just under the breast bone. i can feel the pain all the way through to my back as well. Can't catch my breath sometimes. Have gone to emerg many times as it can get real bad! They gave me uscle relaxer pills which don't really help much. I take percocet when it gets real bad . I have have most tests like, barium swallow, ultra sound, cat scan and endoscopy just recently done. Nothing has showed up so far. In attempts to say the cause they thought it might be IBS,Hiatus Hernia or Gerds. I too don't suffer from reflux/heartburn or gas/bloated feelings. My bowels are for the most part pretty good too. It never occurs after the same diet or even alcohol. Each time is different it seems. It can occur out of no where during the day, morning or wakes me up in middle of night. Lasts few minutes for small one to hours and hours of excuriating pain with no apparen relief in site. I can not offer any advice as I don't know aabout myself either . Just keep going to see the doctors there must be an answer out there.
Penquinlady...good luck...
Kim, I am also in Oklahoma...we have to take care of each other! I have also suffered with the same symptoms for 6 years. I just got diagnosed this summer but the good news is I also found a treatment that works well for me. I have an Rx for a compound that is 3 equal parts of the active ingredients of pepto bismol/benedryl and viscous lidocaine. Sherry's pharmacy in Edmond does this for me. I have found that taking 3 TBS at the very begining of an attack will usually knock it out. If not I take a few more until it numbs the spasm out. The trick is to take it the minute I feel like one is starting.. If I can help ,let me know. I know your pain,frustration and fear. Please keep me posted on your progress.
Fran

Old 12-08-2003, 08:41 AM   #4

fran stout HB User

Kim, I forgot to mention that I got a post from Harry this morning (he is a moderator) and he talked about magnesium deficiency. Look at my posts...he may be contacting you as well.
See ya
Fran

Old 12-08-2003, 08:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User

Is it possible that there could be something blocking the common bile duct? When I had an ultrasound before my surgery, it showed that nothing was in the bile duct. However, my liver function tests were very elevated so my surgeon insisted on an ERCP before surgery. My gastro dr went in endoscopically and found a ton of stuff blocking my common bile duct that he had to clean out before I could have surgery. It is called "biliary sludge". Do any of you have abnormal liver function tests?

Old 12-08-2003, 08:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User

oh, one more thing I forgot to mention.... sometimes I get phantom pains that last for a minute or two. My GI doc said that it is most likely from adhesions and scar tissue.

The Following User Says Thank You to purple2067 For This Useful Post:
Robbie Gee (07-01-2012)
Old 12-08-2003, 08:56 AM   #7
(female)

kim_okla HB User

Thanks for the replies. I'm in OKC so Edmond is close.

Six years? That disturbing. With mine lasting 20 minutes I don't even have time to get to an ER. I work for doctors and wouldn't mind having one at work so they could see. Mostly they wake me up but I've had a couple while awake. I've kept track of what I ate on the day of an attack. Since I started Atkins in October I frequently eat the same thing 3 times a week so that's not helping to pinpoint a particular food item.

It was the same with gallbladder attacks, 15-20 minutes no certain food seemed to trigger and they got more and more frequent.

Old 12-08-2003, 09:32 AM   #8

fran stout HB User

I know what you mean...I took food allergy shots for 3 years because my allergy Dr. and I could not find the common denomenator that triggered an attack. I was still having them 1-4 times a week so I took myself off of everthing. I now take nexium daily and use the "Pink Lady" when an attack threatens and within 30 min to an hour I can go on with my life with no side effects. I am so sorry this is happening to you. I have RN's in my family and friend circle that thought I was dying when this thing first started years ago and for that matter...so did I! I'm no expert,I can only share my experience and support. So hang in there..
Fran

Old 12-08-2003, 10:34 AM   #9
(female)

kim_okla HB User

I tried Nexium but that didn't prevent them so I quit those.

Before Atkins I used to drink a lot of milk. I had forgotten the many nights I woke up with the "prepain", the under the breast pain. Several times I could drink a cup of milk and it would stop. But somtimes it didn't and it would then go into the "contraction" pain as I call it.

When I had the ultrasound they checked the common ducts and didn't see anything but I know sludge doesn't always show on an ultrasound. I don't know about a liver function test.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #10

brooklynpip HB User

Hey all! I know you posts are from almost 3 years ago but I was just looking around and found them. I have a simliar problem......About 6 years ago, sometimes when I would bend over, I would get this charlie horse in my upper abdominal area..under my left breast. It would come and go. Id get it maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I had my gall bladder taken out 2 years ago. I started feeliing the charlie horse again maybe about 2 months ago....it lasts for about a second or two . Sort of a tightening and then a release. Havent really noticed a trigger. It could happen when Im walking or lying down. It has gotten more frequent. Everyone says Im crazy. Any ideas?

Geraldine

Old 11-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #11

brooklynpip HB User

Hi again! I forgot to mention that I was diagnosed with gastritis and my diet of late is awful. ALOT of fast food and soda. Also, alot of fried food. Ive been good for the past 2 weeks but the charlie horse feeling is still there. I am also about 50 pounds overweight. I did noticed that when I had lost weight ( about 3 years ago..I lost 45 pounds) that I didnt get this feeling.....am I still crazy? LOL!

Geraldine

Old 11-13-2006, 06:47 PM   #12
(female)

Seabreezes22 HB User

Have you been evaluated for Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction? I, too, suffer from recurrent pain post gallbladder removal. It comes and goes, but feels simiar to the pain I experienced prior to having the GB removed.

Closed Thread