It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2003, 04:12 PM   #1
(female)

bombolina HB User
Recovering from Nissen Fundoplication

Hello-

I have a consultation with a surgeon on Jan 2nd for the surgeru. I am extremely nervous after reading postings about the procedure. I read about what a bad experience people had and how they felt worse afterwards. I have GERD,acid reflux, and a hiatal hernia. I am looking forward to fixing the problem for good. I had a Bravo probe done. That was horrible. It was so uncomfortable. Can anyone tell me what to expect after surgery?? I am concerned how long I should ask off from work?? Do they give you pain medications for after the surgery? What do they suggest you eat??? How much weight should I be expected to lose?? If anyone has any information that would be helpful. Also any suggestions on how much time to take off from work???? I appreciate any information!! Thanks

Old 01-05-2004, 07:44 PM   #2

Jenn4USA HB User
Re: Recovering from Nissen Fundoplication

I had the Nissen in 1997 and was one that had complications after the surgery. I will tell you that the reflux and GERD was gone after surgery. I also had a hernia that was repaired when I had the surgery. I would definitely recommend that you have a surgeon perform the surgery that is very experienced. A lot of times this is a cardio thoracic surgeon, they seem to be the most qualified. But general surgeons that do the surgery are also qualified but you should have a surgeon do this surgery that has done a lot of them not just one or two like my doctor. It is a very complciated surgery and with anything there are risks. Don't let that scare you. There are a small percentage of people that have problems with the surgery and more times than not the patients are so glad they had the surgery. I was very glad that I had it to get rid of the reflux that I had and the GERD. One of the complications is that the wrap can be do tight, which is my problem But if that would occur you can have a dilitation that will losen it up a little bit. As far as the surgery I was in the hospital for 3 days, and recovery was about 6-8 weeks. I was prescribed pain medication that I only needed for the first few weeks and then I started to feel a lot better. I did lose some weight but once you get your appetite back you will put it back on. As far as diet after surgery I started with soft foods and then they tried solids. My first surgery was done with 6 small incisions. Because I had complications I had two more surgeries because the wrap was to tight. But don't let that worry you - their is a small percentage that it happens to and most people that have the surgery are very glad they did.

Good luck to you, get a second opinion and check all of your options. Educate yourself, that is your best route to take. And check with a cardio Doctor that has done this procedure many times.

Good luck !!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2004, 09:29 AM   #3
(female)

bombolina HB User

Hello,

Thanks for the info. My consultation was great. I am very please with my Dr. He seems very knowledgable. I asked him about doing the wrap too tight and they something that they use that makes it impossible to make it too tight. My biggest fear was not being able to burp or vomit. I had a manometry test yesterday. That was awful. My Dr said my esopagus spasms and my sphincter is weak. I have scheduled my surgery for Feb. 12. I am both anxious and scared. But I feel like I am making the right choice. I have had my hiatal hernia since I was 18. I am now 30. I have Gerd (acid reflux) and IBS-C. So any relief would be great. It would be nice to lose the weight and keep it off. I know changing my diet afterwards would make me feel better. Thanks again....

Old 01-07-2004, 03:54 AM   #4
Veteran

Fudge7000 HB User

i had the surgery nearly a month ago, and its the best thing i've ever done! i had hardly any pain afterwards - didn't need the pain medication, came out of hospital the following day and was up and about 2hrs after i woke up! am almost back onto normal foods, just have a bit of a problem with bread and rice still. i felt completely normal after a week or two, just tired due to the lack of food. i've lost a stone (14lb) so far. my mum had the surgery in march and she went from a size 14 (USA 10) to a 10 (USA 6) and has kept it off, you should be able to keep the weight off if you don't continually eat too much and stretch your stomach back to its normal size. my mum couldn't burp for a few weeks, but i could straight away. vomiting is different, thats impossible for the first few months - why does that worry you? try not to worry about it, mine was fine! and no acid since!

Old 01-07-2004, 06:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: Recovering from Nissen Fundoplication

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombolina
Hello,

Thanks for the info. My consultation was great. I am very please with my Dr. He seems very knowledgable. I asked him about doing the wrap too tight and they something that they use that makes it impossible to make it too tight. My biggest fear was not being able to burp or vomit. I had a manometry test yesterday. That was awful. My Dr said my esopagus spasms and my sphincter is weak. I have scheduled my surgery for Feb. 12. I am both anxious and scared. But I feel like I am making the right choice. I have had my hiatal hernia since I was 18. I am now 30. I have Gerd (acid reflux) and IBS-C. So any relief would be great. It would be nice to lose the weight and keep it off. I know changing my diet afterwards would make me feel better. Thanks again....

Hi there bombolina - so glad your consult went well. I posted my whole Nissan fundo story in a post named "To bombolina" on Jan. 1st, so please read if you want to know how my fundo went. I won't post the whole story here again.

Let's just say that if the fundo keeps me from getting esophageal cancer, I can live with the after effects of surgery.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Katie G

Old 01-07-2004, 03:38 PM   #6

waffle13 HB User

My son has had two fundos. He was literally up and around the day after both of them, albeit a bit gently. The second time he had a g-tube put in so it took longer before he could walk around but both times it was clear that by the day after he was doing pretty good. Are you having it done laproscopically? That's how both my son's were done. They sent us home with pain meds but he never needed anything more than Tylenol. The fundo that he had without a g-tube, he was forced to eat by the nurses the next day (not good). Because nothing could get through the wrap, he was retching a lot. Retching on a brand new fundo = a blown fundo. Within a month it was blown. The second fundo I insisted a g-tube be put in, and we fed him soley through the tube for 3 months. This allowed the fundo to completely heal. Then we started him on liquids only, then soft foods (like pudding, applesauce). Slowly we increased the food, until he was eating a normal diet. We did this over a period of 5 months - much slower probably than necessary. He did not lose any weight, but again that's because we fed him through the g-tube.

My suggestions are to be SURE SURE SURE that your surgeon has a LOT of experience doing fundos. A surgeon with little experience in this specific surgery is bad news. The surgeon that did my son's first fundo was horrid. The second surgeon was amazing. Definately ask the surgeon all your questions ahead of time. This is a surgery that you need to be completely prepared for ahead of time.

Recovery can be rough. Retching, inability to burp (another plus to the g-tube, allowed us to vent his belly when gassy), inability to vomit. When he gets the flu now we give him Phenegran suppositories to ease the naseuea (sp?) so he doesn't retch too much.

I hope this helps somehow. After all we've been through with my son's GERD (and my daughter has it too, but she's only 2.5 months old and so far we're trying to control it with meds) ... I hope I can help SOMEONE get through this all easier!!

Sara (mommy to Jacob 6-28-00 and Emily 10-16-03)

Old 01-07-2004, 04:59 PM   #7

Jenn4USA HB User

BOMB...

Congratulations on your surgery date, my surgery is the 13th of this month. I wish you the best of luck, and I am sure you are making the right decision. Katie G. had great success with her surgery. Even if the wrap would be to tight some times people have to have a dilitation and that is a very simple process, one patient had it once after surgery and never again that went to my Doctor. Don't worry about issues with being able to vomit, that will come in time as you heal. I did lose some weight after surgery but only about 15lbs. but once I got to feeling better I kept the weight off but I was eating and was very healthy. I certainly wanted to keep it off. I am 33 years old and I wanted to lose a few pounds. Good luck !!!! Once I am up and about and on line after surgery I will check in on you. Katie G is a sweetheart and she is very supportive as well. We have a great support group here, been very helpful to me.

Closed Thread