It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2003, 06:05 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Gas problem

I've had a new symptom develop over the past month that is sort of concerning me now. The problem is what I think is excessive gas but the real problem is the smell. The smell bothers me the most because I work in an office and I am constantly getting up to do my thing nobody will suspect me. The major change that I made this past month is that I have begun juicing everyday. I wonder if it's the juice causing the problem. I have read a lot of articles on gas (including the one in the sticky thread above in case anyone is interested) and I know that having gas is a normal and the smell doesn't necessarily mean it's anything serious. I usually think of smelly gas as undigested food getting attacked by the colon bacteria. My bowel movements have be okay and I have gained 6 or more pounds over the holidays so I am wary to believe that I am having much malabsorbtion. Anyway, does anyone juice or is anyone here a vegetarian that has problems with smelly gas? Have you found anything that helps with the smell. I have read that taking charcoal tablets may help but I take many vitamins throught the day and I don't want the charcoal to take away from any nutrtiton absorbtion. I also forgot to mention that I have been on about a 95% vegetarian diet too which is why I included the vegetarian in my question. Thanks for any info.

Old 01-03-2004, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User
Re: Gas problem

Try "Beano", its a digestive enzyme and totally harmless. You could also try a probiotic complex containing acidopholus.

I have a colostomy and therefore gas can be a problem in that it comes out into a plastic pouch on my belly. I cannot stand the "Goodyear Blimp" on my belly look and have to seek a location to let it out so I can sympathise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2004, 10:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

You don't say what it is you're 'juicing', but not only will vegetables give you gas, but so will fruit because of the sugar. If your body isn't capable of digesting the sugar properly, or if you're ingesting too much of it - which is what I suspect - the undigested sugars will not only cause bloating and excessive gas, but the terrible smell you mention, also. People think that all fruit is good for you, and on a 'general' level it is, but people don't realize just how much sugar is in some fruit and how it can wreck havoc on your digestive system. Honestly? I'd suggest laying off your juicer and simply eating the fruits and vegetables normally. Because that's really the only way you're going to stop the gas.

Old 01-04-2004, 09:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: Gas problem

Dan,

One interesting thing is that the only starch that does not cause gas is Rice. Alot of veggies cause GAS even good old broccoli that I eat often.

I have found that too much sugar or salt are both preservatives and can really mess up your digestion.

I use to do juicing but it was just too much to clean up. I have an older cheap juicer.

As you know the smelly gas is caused by putrification bacteria (methane) -- maybe your candida is getting out of balance.

Old 01-04-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

Thanks for the replies. I take probiotics everyday and haven't tried beano. I looked up most of the vegetables that I am jucing and found conflicting information. Some sites would state that this vegetable shouldn't cause gas while another site would say that it would. One site listed a bunch of fruits and vegetables that can cause gas and just plainly stated that the gas depends more on an individual's body able to handle the veggies and fruits which is what I mostly believe. What I have been juicing the most are

carrots
beets
string beans
ginger
bell peppers
apple
cucumbers
celery
turnips
fennel

I've also juiced lemons, grpaefruits and oranges but only a few times. I juice carrots, apples, celery and ginger everyday and add vary the others. I also eat a lot of pears and cantalope. I do prefer jucing the vegetables and eating the fruits. The quantity and sugar content may be my problem because I only juice once a day and it's about 32 ounces. I am trying to cut back to 8 - 16 ounces till my vegetable and fruit supply runs out. I will then stop to see if the gas gets any better. I would stop now but I don't want all my fruits and veggies go to waste. I also take a garlic tablet everyday and I have found a lot of info that garlic can cause gas and smell. I have already stopped taking the garlic since it won't go bad for some time.

I enjoy jucing better than eating vegetables so I hope that I am able to find the right mixture and quantity to help with the gas (assuming that's where my problem is coming from).

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-29-2004, 04:26 PM   #6

TutorDi HB User

I have had a colostomy for 10 years now. I have liquid stools, and a gas problem too. Fats, some vegetables, sugary foods, and other foods can help cause gas.

I have found a bag that has a removable/changable filter. And the best part is that it won't leak when I lay down. But, if it gets wet, it may either stop filtering the smell, or filtering the gas. Therefore, I carry extra filters with me. The bag also has two chambers to help keep the waste away from the filter. It is called the Hollister, Two Piece, CenterPoint Lock, Drainable Pouch with Filter. The downside is it is hard to clean the opening after emptying, since there are two chambers. I get around this by taking the bag off the wafer to empty it out of the opening at the top. I never take the clamp off the drain. I found this appliance purely by accident. I always felt that I was alone in dealing with this problem. Finding supplies and finding new items on the market may be hard. I always ask the pharmacy if they know about anything new on the market. I found a pharmacy in California on the internet. They take orders by phone, or online. They ship to my door, charge my insurance, and I only pay the difference, plus shipping.

I love reading about other ostimates, their problems, and how they deal with them. Just tonight, we went out to eat. I was trying a new pair of pants out. I had always worn loose pants to accomodate the bag. But, tonight I wore tight leggings. I have lost a lot of weight and wanted to show off my figure. Not a good thing. Right in the middle of dinner, I had an explosive output. It didn't have anywhere to expand to so it wormed it's way under the wafer and out into my pants in front. I ran to the bathroom, only to discover the problem was too big to deal with in the restaurant bathroom. We had to go home. I believe you aren't a true ostomate until something like that happens to you.

I have problems with sweating in the summer. Does anyone work outside in the summer? I love to work in the yard, but after about an hour, the wafer comes off because of sweat. I haven't found anything to help. Any ideas? I hate to spend summers inside all the time.

Old 05-08-2004, 10:59 AM   #7

BrazilianGuy HB User

How are you doing with your gas problem, TutorDi? I suffer from gas incontinence and I´m wondering if a colostomy would be a solution because i heard nothing leaks from the bag.

Old 05-08-2004, 02:20 PM   #8

hortibabe HB User

I would say that smell is normal! For goodness sake stop worrying. I am a vegetarian and I don't believe anyone has pure gas with no smell! It's all the healthy bacteria working on the food, it's a natural bi product of a 'healthy' digestive system.

Old 05-09-2004, 12:44 PM   #9

hortibabe HB User

Being a vegetarian definately has an effect. I have been one for almost 20yrs now and I would say that my gas is more 'potent' than others. By the way I wasn't referring to anyone with extreme problems just 'normal' gas. Don't want to offend

Old 05-10-2004, 06:11 PM   #10

teacher 18 HB User

This is my first posting but Ihave been reading about everyones problems for a while and I decided to offer a little suggestion on what has worked for me. I decided to give up all wheat for three weeks and see what would happen. Well, after one week I was having normal bowel movements for the first time in two years and the gas and bloating were gone. My problem has been constipation. I tried Zelnorm and it did nothing but give me a headache. I know I do not have celiac disease because I had the blood test to rule it out. I suspect I have an intolerance for wheat. I think it is worth a try if you have tried everything else. Right now my biggest complaint is the constant pain in my back. It is always on the left side in the upper left. Does anyone else ever have this symptom.

Old 05-11-2004, 03:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Juicing really isn't that good for you. You don't get any fiber, and the stuff goes through your system too quickly. I think the undigested sugar idea is probably right.

Old 05-11-2004, 10:47 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I think you should read this --there is gas w/o smell:

http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/gas.html

Closed Thread