It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2004, 10:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Post To nyxin about supplements!!!

Hi nyxin,
I thought I would start a new thread to discuss your problems and what my thougts are about your condition. I have taken the time today and went back and read all of your posts on this board and the Bowel board.

I would like you to write about you present condition and how you are doing dealing with the stresses that come with having a baby in your care along with your aches and pains. As you know a new born changes everything in your life!!!

I wrote on 12/5/03 suggesting that you take a B vitamin supplement (not just B-12) and a calcium/magnesium supplement along with Vitamin D for calcium absorption. I did not tell you about any dose amounts.

I am certainly willing to share with you my experiences and suggest a course of action but I think it should be as current as possible.

God Bless--- Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2004, 05:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
Re: To nyxin about supplements!!!

hiya harry,
i typed out this big long thing and somehow erased it. so now the baby is crying, i have to get ready for work so i can't take the time to write everything i wanted.

i do want to say thank you for taking your time to try and help me. i don't knowi if you read my post "my unbelieveable story" but that post tells all about my situation.

today has kinda been a bad day, my baby is very cranky as he got his shots, mt work schedule is crazy (i am a horse insrtuctor) a very good friend of mine called an hour ago and his dad died, so it has been nutz.

please ask any question you feel will help, i will answer as honestly as possible, i need the help very very much. thank you again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2004, 09:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

nyxin,
Ok---
Do you still have the pain under you rib , if you do describe It ?

Is your right side where you had the infection sore?
What is your idea of a nervous stomach? Are you still anxious about your health?
Is your digestion affected in any way? Heartburn, gas, cramping , BMs-- any problems??
What meds are you taking and Vitamins, minerals and any supplements?

How do you feel? Are there any times worse than other than other times?
I know being a 27 yo new mom that works outside the home is stressful -- is anything unusual to you, are you handling it OK???
Sort of nosey-- huh!!

God Bless--Harry

Old 01-08-2004, 08:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
nyxin,
Ok---
Do you still have the pain under you rib , if you do describe It ?

Is your right side where you had the infection sore?
What is your idea of a nervous stomach? Are you still anxious about your health?
Is your digestion affected in any way? Heartburn, gas, cramping , BMs-- any problems??
What meds are you taking and Vitamins, minerals and any supplements?

How do you feel? Are there any times worse than other than other times?
I know being a 27 yo new mom that works outside the home is stressful -- is anything unusual to you, are you handling it OK???
Sort of nosey-- huh!!

God Bless--Harry

i don't think it is nosey, it is wonderful that you care.
i will try to answer as best i can, the baby was up most the night with a fever from his shots. i am so tired that i made coffee with yesterdays coffee still in the pot, needless to say my heater vent will agree with the best part of waking up is foldgers in your....vent? anyway......

i do still have pain under my rib. it is pretty constant and yet i can not pin point exactly where it is. if i lay on my back and try to palpate my abdomen area, i can not find a spot that is sore, nor could the doctor or the surgeon that operated on me. sometimes it feels like a pulled muscle, sometimes it feels like it is burning, sometimes it feels like a gas bubble. keep in mind that this "pain" is more of an annoying thing, like a 1-2 on a scale of 1-10. the right side is where the colon infection was, but it was in the lower right quad, not the upper.

there is a family history of gall bladder disease. however, i do not find that it gets worse or better by eating certain foods. i am having a bit of a problem with BM's. after all of these tests and having to clean out my system so often, i am having a hard time getting regular. it does seem like this pain gets more aggrivated when i have gas or feel a bit constipated. i took a ducolax the other night and i woke up to the most horrible cramping. i thought i was having another child, i had massive D and then nothing. that was 3 days ago, and i have not had another BM. sometimes i feel like i have trouble passing gas, but i think i get in those situations that i can't because i am teaching infront of several people and well.....you know.

the really interesting thing is that even though this is a very small pain on the scale, tylenol, advil, nor darvocet will touch it. the only thing that seems to help is xanax, but i think it makes it so i don't care about it anymore as opposed to actually taking it away.

i am currently taking (don't laugh) Flintstones chewable vitamin's. i know it sounds silly, but my OB recommended this because regular vitamins make me feel ukie. i am also slowing getting on candida relief, one pill a day, as it upsets my stomach a bit and the xanax, .25 a day, down from 1. a day. i am taking the candida relief as i had a lingering yeast infection and i have terribly sore knee joints along with frequent headaches and a foggy head. i think that has more to do with the rigors or riding a horse for the last 16 years and being a new mom, but just in case. i do take acidopholous (sp?) sometimes, primal defense and that seems to help too, but can make me feel bloated as well.

pepermint seems to be the only thing that will settle my nervous stomach. what i mean by that is it feels kinda nauseated, sour and tight, maybe a little bloated too. i should by stock in candy canes.

i am still anxious about my health, but getting better. i want to take yoga but the studio where i live hasn't called me back, i might have to go somewhere else.

here is the part where you will want to smack me...
i drink way too much coffee and pop, i am addicted to caffiene (sp?) i quit smoking long ago, don't drink, don't do anything else, but i can't seem to get away from the joe.

i hate water. i love to swim in it but hate to drink it. i kid you not when i say there has been a couple of YEARS in my life where the most water i drank out of a year was less than 6 cups. seriously. i am really trying to improve on that, i drink 2 16 oz cups a day and i have to force it.

i have gotten better about eating, but not where i should be. i am not much of a cook, but am learning as i go. i try to make at least 4-5 home cooked meals a week, the other times we go out or it's pizza. however, the rest of the day it's junk. i buy apples and oranges but they just sit there. somehow in my mind i would rather not eat than eat better. wierd.

and as far as being a new mom goes, i love it, but it is very very hard. my hubby works 8-5:30 and then mon, wed, and fri eve's i instruct as well as all day on sunday. i do 120+ lessons a month and am on my feet the whole time. it is a good way for me to get a work out, but very stressful as most of my clients are beginners and i have to be hyper vigilant the entire time. i do 3-4 people at once. i am home all day with my son, but fail to find the time to get the house work done. i have many many bills from a long ago past relationship where the man maxed out 25,000 of credit cards as a nice surpise for me, that i will be paying for another 7 years.

it is a cycle that i must break. i feel this thing in my side, it makes me nervous and depressed, so i loose my motivation and all i can do is take care of my son. when i work it is HIGH stress then back to taking care of the baby and being nervous about everything. i take the xanax and it makes me not care, and then it starts over.

wow, this is long, sorry about that, but thanks for your interest.

Old 01-09-2004, 08:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Nyxin,

What I am going to write is with the intention of what you need to do so you can become healthy and live a healthy life. The choices you make will determine the health for the rest of your life. At your age your body is very forgiving and recovers pretty quickly from bad life events. As you get older you'll say I sure with I knew that 10 years ago.
It's just like smoking --- it is known that it will cause a multitude of health problems. You can't wait until they happen to quit. Because the results are in many cases irreversible. So It's great that you quit smoking at an early age!!!

I believe health BEGINS in the digestive tract. Every thing that you intake in your mouth either builds health, destroys health or has very little effect.

You have to have good bowel habits to eliminate waste, toxins and antigens, etc. So, you have to have a BM daily that is complete. To do this you have to intake 20 to 30 grams of fiber daily. It needs to be both soluble and insoluble fiber. I suggest you start taking a water soluble fiber supplement like Psyllium that is in Metamucil or Equate from Walmart and there are others on the market. It comes in powder, capsules and wafer type cookies.

This type fiber is a stool bulking agent that is safe to take daily. You just have to start off slow because it does produce gas at first and you have to drink enough water with each dose. IT works for constipation and diarrhea just as well --- it is a very unique natrual fiber. It will clean your intestines and make your BMs regular and w/o straining so you don't develop hemorrhoids, diverticulars and even colon cancer. You are probably only getting 13 grams of fiber in your diet now-- just a guess but that's not enough. This action helps keep your intestines clean.

I am going to write this in installments so you don't get too overwhelmed. Not only that I'm a very bad typist. If you have any questions -- feel free to ask at anytime.

It would be a good idea to get a book that is recomended by actudan in the Informatioal Archive thread --"Prescription for Nutritonal Healing" you can buy it online for up to 40% off.

Harry

Old 01-09-2004, 09:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hello Harry,
thanks very much for the advice. i was having regular BM's everyday untill i had all these tests. i still have not had anothr BM after the last bout of D after the ducolax, but i don't even feel like i have to. i have had BM problems ever since i was little, like 6 weeks old. my mom was a new mom and thought i had D. the doctor prescribed phenabarbatol! my mom accidently gave me too much and i passed out for 12 hours. my mom was thankful for the sleep as i was soooooo colicky all t he time, but it hardened my stools and it was a battle after that day. it is amazing how times change.

i agree with you that health starts in the digestive track, it only makes sense. what do you think about that colon infection i got? do you think it was a residual infection from my delivery infection, or something totally unrelated? i do know that my uterus is off to the left and back so my son developed kinda catty-wompus and put ALOT of strain on my right side.

i will go to the store today and get the fiber as well as magnesium. do i need the calcuim with it or can i add that later? i have to start everything very slowly as my body seems to revolt to healthy stuff!!!!

also, didn't you say that candida can cause a lot of problems? do you think candida relief is right for me?

thanks again.

Old 01-09-2004, 10:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lightbulb Re: To nyxin about supplements!!!

Hi nyxin,
Candida overgrowth or yeast infection can cause many problems. Do you have any symptoms that indicate you have a yeast infection??? Is it female related or gastrointestinal like the bloating you mentioned -- I think from what you have already said you have a yeast problem. For now just eat yogurt, take Primal Defense and the OTC anti-candida remedies. I have used Kolorex that you can buy online and its good but so is the the Capillic Acid type and Garlic.

You are probably lacking many vitamins and minerals unless you make a real effort to solve the problem. The chewable Flintstones are not adequate for a working young adult with the responsablies and stress of being a new Mom and homemaker and wife. I tell you later what I think you need to do!!!

You already know what you're doing wrong -- I'll just tell you why if you continue the way you are going it will absolutely make your future depressing and miserable --- the life like you are now living will be impossible.

Your Water intake has to be at least 6 --8 ounce glasses of daily.
By drinking coffee and sodas your liver has to change it to water because your body is 70% water-- not all parts but overall. It is essential for your life --- every function that goes on in your body is involved with water and if your body does not get enough -- these functions are badly affected.

Drinking too much sodas and coffee you are flooding your body with acid and your system cannot deal with it -- the acid in soda is phosphoric and too much WILL destory the cartilage in your ALL of your JOINTS-- knees, hips, ankles, back, neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, even fingers---. It may have already started in your knees and neck producing pain, headaches and soreness.

I strongly suggest you start drinking more water, stop coffee, and drink only several sodas a week. As I said --- the choices you make can change your life. But riding horses will be a thing of your past if you continue. The pain under you rib will really be minor.

All of this has happened to my wife -- a BIG soda and tea drinker for years -- coffee gave her diarrhea after only 1/2 cup. She has had one Hip replaced and needs another, knee surgery, both wrist and elbow surgery and still in daily pain.

She had shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff and torn bicep on 11/11/03 and could not lay in bed for 41 days. She now sleeps about half in bed and half in a recliner. Her biggest pain now is her lower back and tail bone(that she hurt years ago with a slip on ice) as well as her shoulder. She may be able to drive in another 6 weeks or so.

Your diet needs to be 75 to 80% alkaline producing food and drink an 20% acid. All meats and grains are acidic and most veggies and fruits are alkaline.. I'll find a chart that you can look at.

My wife use to make the statement "Water is only used for washing" and laughed -- Well she sure isn't laughing NOW. The normal pain medications cause stomach pain as well as diarrhea some cause constipation like Percoset. I have used homeopathy about 25 years and we use that mostly for alot of disorders.

I'll write about vitamins, minerals and other supplements in another message.

God Bless---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 01-09-2004 at 10:56 PM.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you again Harry for the time, concern and advice. i totally agree with you. i am actually amazed that i have not had more problems than i do. i do not understand why it is so hard for me to drink water. i guess i feel so attatched to pepsi, it feels as though it is the one guilty pleasure i have. i guess i should not look at it as i can never have one again, it just should not be my staple.

as far as the yeast goes, yes i have problems. i am on the candida relief and i eat yogurt. i do have primal defense as well. i am up to 2 candida relief pills a day and about 3 yogurt a week, 2 primal defense a week. i drank about 4 8 oz of water today, but 3 pepsi, so not so good there. i had company over today so i was not able to go to the store, but have to go in the morning anyway so i can pick up the fiber. i still have not had a BM since monday and i don't even feel like i have to go.

i think the pain in my side is anxiety related. i barley noticed it at all today, but my husband and i just watched a scary movie and it felt much more tight. we shall see i guess. i also have an IUD, and i think that is causing some feminine problems. i am having it removed on the 16th.

i realize that i may have already seriously damaged my body, but if i take the right steps now can i fix what i have done?
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-11-2004, 09:39 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lightbulb Re: To nyxin about supplements!!!

Hi nyxin,
You can do things that can reverse some damage that you have that is reversible but you'll never be a 20 year old again. But, each year will bring changes that you can make the most of and enjoy that part of your life. Your baby this past year ---changes your life and for most people it's very happy& positive. But,it can produce un-foreseen problems and heart aches.
I lost two daughters a 5 and 15 year old in my life so I know what a broken heart feels like. Life changes daily and stuff just happens beyond your control but it hurts just as much and at times can make you extrenly happy. So, you have to be prepared --Mentally, Emotionally and Physically for all life events!!

These days many things are available and are being discovered that can be used to build health if you know what to do --- and do it!

What we all want is a Quality life and alot of it is up to you.Like I said before -- Choices???

I assure you drinking sodas and coffee does not build health in any way.

I suggest for yeast problems--- flood your system with beneficial friendly bacteria so you can get your system back to a balanced one with the friendly flora in control.

Bad bacteria mutates easily and you may have to change to a different candida type killer like Cantrol, Candistat, Caprystatin, Caprinex, Pau D'Arco tea, Garlic, Kolorex all are OTC but there are others that are more powerful that are prescription type that you have to get from a Doctor --Nystatin, Nizoral, Sporanox, and Diflucan.

>>>Vitamins and Minerals<<<

There are some vitamins that are not made in your body by food or drink you intake so you have to take them in a supplement to be healthy. I am not going to go into why you need these because I know it''ll be too long. There are many books written about them.

Vitamin C, E and D. Vitamin C requires 4 enzymes to make it in all mammals except 3 --- we humans only have 3 of the enzymes so if you don't intake it daily you are not going to get it. The daily requirement is 60 mg but I take at least 500 daily and I like Ester C best. It goes in your body 4 times faster and stay longer and only 1/3 as much is passed off in your urine. It is the only patented Vit C. The rest is mostly extracted from Corn.

Vitamin E use to be obtained from bread but since refining in 1912 it is all processed out. I suggest taking 400 IU daily.

Vitamin D is obtained from being in the sun --sweating from body only re-absorption and since most of us don't get in the sun that much and certainly not this time of year --- you need to take it-- 400 IUs daily.

I suggest you get a multi vitamin and mineral supplement. I know you said that they make you feel sick/yukky and that is not that uncommon. It does me too with some Brands. But,there are some brands on the market that you have to take 2 up to 6 or 8 daily. If you get a type like this then you can start off at a low dose then increase it as you see fit or until it makes you feeling yukky.

Twin Labs puts out a Daily Two w/o Iron so you could start off with just one daily and Doctors Best puts out a Total Daily Formula that you need 6 pills daily but if you get this just start off with one and increase it to get to what you need. Don't take Iron unless your blood work shows that you need it.

There are many other manufacturers on the market that are good -- you just have to find one that's right for you. I take all my vitamins and minerals individually but I have been doing this for 25 years but now and then I buy a multi vitamin/mineral to see if it's any good. You really find one that meets all your needs.

You usually have to buy Calcium and Magnesium --- antioxidants and digestive enzymes separately.

If you have any questions about vitamins and minerals or yeast problems --let me know.

God Bless---Harry

Here is a site that list acid and alkaline foods:

[url]http://www.godsdirectcontact.com/vegetarian/alkalineoracid.html[/url]

Last edited by Harry; 01-11-2004 at 09:45 AM.

Old 01-11-2004, 11:33 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you so much again Harry!

i had blood work done in Dec, and everything looked great as far as anemia, liver functions...ect...as well as a CBC.

you never answered what you thought of the colon infection i got? i have yet to find one person that has had the same infection, and believe me i am looking!!

i did take diflucan and it helped a lot but i still have some irratation, i have an OB appt. on the 16th to get my IUD removed

i got the magnesium, calcium and fiber, i am goingto start it tom. as i have a very full day teaching and don't want to feel sick if i should have a reaction.

i am very very sorry to hear of your losses. life is very hard. i count my blessings everyday. i have to admit i wasn't very religious until i went through what i did with the birth of my son. i love him so much. and that is why i have a lot of anxiety, because i am so afraid of something bad happening. but i guess we can't control that.

i thank you again for your efforts and will try to work on this, i have a lot more tools than i did as well as support. i think i am on the right track to getting better.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-11-2004, 01:05 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Arrow Re: To nyxin about supplements!!!

Hi nyxin.
Your colon infection is now cured and what it was caused by will never be determined since was not found when you had it??

I have have colon infections on the right side for many years that the doctors thought were caused by diverticular infections but my diverticulars were all located on the left side.
All sorts of tests have been conducted without any positive results. On 4/4/02 I had the left side--- 2 1/2 feet of my colon removed because of chronic diverticlar bleeding. And, I still get an infection about every 6 months that is cured by 7 days of Cipro. No Doctor has yet to determine the cause. This past year I had it in January, June and November. So, you may never know??

My son got an infection just like yours and was hospialized --had his appendix removed that was it also was not infected but he was given antibiotics for the fever and inflammation. He has never had another infection in that area. You just never know. That was in 1976.

The vitamins and minerals I wrote about will help you with anxiety and stress. Particular the "B" vitamins.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 01-11-2004 at 09:12 PM.

Old 01-13-2004, 08:47 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

hello Harry,
i wanted to touch base with you and update you on what is going on. i started having calcium cravings like you can't believe, almost like i was preg-o again. i am not, but i did go off dairy for a while to see if it helped my side. it did not so i started back on the dairy as well as started my magnesium suppliment. i am feeling really good. i have even gone a day without any anxiety meds, a first in 3 months. i also started on the fiber, and am hopeful that will help as well. i got my mom some magnesium because the store by her doesn't sell it as she has been having a world of GI problems. so basically i wanted to say thanks for everything.

by the way, that is wierd that your son had an infection like mine, especially that they thought it was his appendix and it wasn't. sounds just like it!!!!! did they call it anything in particular? i wish there was another name for it in non-immune suppressed patients than typhlitis. if you look up that word there is some scary scary stuff!!!!

anyway, any other advice you may have would be great. like how much calcium should i be getting? i feel like i am taking so much stuff already, but i seem to be dealing with it ok, so no complaints. i thank you again for everything.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-13-2004, 01:46 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

nyxin,
Tell me one thing -- is your user name related to anything? It has to mean something???

Calcium -- daily you need 1000 mg but if you take it in one dose you'll only absorb about 14 %. So take it with magnesium and make sure you take vitamin D for absorption. Taking it 3 time daily will increase the absorption about 40 %. Buy the organic type-- chelated-- to an amino acid(protien).

Like I first told you --- if you want to be healthy you have to make some intelligent choices that is based on Knowledge.

Lack of knowledge is not a good excuse these days to have poor health. There are just too much resources available.

It still amazes me how we can affect peoples lives in such a significate way around the country and the world. You can and I can just by telling and sharing our experiences and we are certainly not Doctors.

I have been writing on these boards for over 4 years about things I know and it certainly has encouraged me to find out more so I can be more helpful.

What type of problems does your Mom have???

God Bless---Harry

Old 01-13-2004, 02:35 PM   #14

suzi47cmt HB User

hi harry,
I am a 30+ years crohns sufferer, and new to these boards, as you can see. I have taken an interest in reading your posts to people. You seem to be SO knowlegeable. Especially in the nutritional health of the digestive system. I have learned several helpful things from your posts, and also have to agree with most of what you have to offer in the way of advice and information.

I too, have found this venue to be absolutely incredible. As you say, it is amazing how much we can touch peoples lives all over the world on these boards. It is a wonderful feeling to be able to help people and offer up support, as well as receive it in spades.

Just want to thank you Harry, for your obvious devotion to these boards, and for all your significant help.

Some of what you offered up in advice to Nyxin helped my daughter, who suffers from constipation, anxiety, ect.. a couple of your pieces of advice have now been added to her regimen, and we are eager to see if it makes a difference.

Again, thanx Harry.

Suzi

Old 01-13-2004, 10:07 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

i am so glad that this is helping other as well as myself!

not to be gross, but i started the fiber and had 2 BM today that were quite normal. i am feeling A LOT less bloated and gassy.

i still feel the pain in my side, but it still is unknown if it is caused by a physical condition or anxiety. a "friend" was over who is more like an enemy that i need to keep close, she drives me nuts, so my stomach is a bit upset.

the name nyxin is my nick name. my real name is nichole, nicky for short, and then nyxin came from that. i am not political or anything.

as for my mom, she had a prolapsed uterus and had a hysterectomy, then had her gall bladder out, but is still having trouble eating anything really, has chest pains, reflux, all sorts of stuff. she started feeling horrible right after her gall bladder sugery 2 years ago and hasn't been the same. she has had many many tests done and they can't figure it out. she is awaiting some further blood testing and she is pretty scared.

then again, like mother like daughter, she STILL smokes, doesn't drink water, lives off of coffee and coke and refuses to see that she has an anxiety disorder. it drives me nuts. i have gotten her interested in magnesium, she is "preparing" to quit smoking and is trying to drink more water. i thought me having a baby and seeing the health issues i went through would wake her up to take charge of her health, but is sadly has not.

thank you again, i will start calcium as well.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread