It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2004, 05:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User
Stomach and Rib Pains

I have started to have a pain in the left lower side, near my bottom rib. Sore when pressed on. Gets a little better with massage. I am SCARED I have cancer of the stomach or something! It hurts worse when I am sitting at my desk all day hunched over and putting pressure on it. Anyone else experience this?

Old 01-09-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
Re: Stomach and Rib Pains

lots of people experience what you are dealing with. do a seaech under rib pain and you will find a ton of posts in regards to this. how old are you? is this the only symptom you are having? if so it kinda sounds like you bruised your ribs and the way you sit is causing it to get aggrivated. i don't know if you are male or female, but if you are a male and you sit on your wallet, that can throw your back out pretty bad over time and cause a lot of pain in wierd places. my husband went through that, he doesn't sit on is wallet anymore and it helped with a lot of aches and pains. look the other stuff up and get better info, but always see a doctor for professional advice.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2004, 05:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

I am 26 years old. I do wear bras with underwire and it hits that exact location when I sit at my desk all day. I do not feel a lump per say, just a very tender spot there. I will definatly do a search!

Last edited by moderator4; 01-11-2004 at 08:55 AM.

Old 01-10-2004, 06:50 PM   #4
(female)

StaciL320 HB User

Does eating make the rib pain worse or it is just a change in your postion? That would be one clue as to whether is it something GI related or muscular.

I really don't think it is stomach cancer or anything along those lines. A lot of people seem to have the rib pain so it seems to be a pretty common thing. Also, considering your age, I highly doubt it is anything too serious, but I do understand your concern since any pain you experience is something you worry about.

Last edited by moderator4; 01-11-2004 at 08:57 AM.

Old 01-11-2004, 05:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

Change in position really aggravates it. It seems to go from my rib cage around to my middle back as well. After I eat, it makes it worse too. I am not sure if it because I eat too much and my expanding stomach is pushing on the spot, or if it is GI related.

Last edited by moderator4; 01-11-2004 at 08:59 AM.

Old 01-11-2004, 09:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I think it's caused by a spasm or cramping of muscles in your back.It's called periphial neuritis. Try taking a magnesium supplement 3 times daily for better absorption!!

A good homeopathic remedy is Magnesia Phos. It should help in 35 minutes!!! You can buy it at a heallth food store.

Old 01-11-2004, 01:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
I think it's caused by a spasm or cramping of muscles in your back.It's called periphial neuritis. Try taking a magnesium supplement 3 times daily for better absorption!!

A good homeopathic remedy is Magnesia Phos. It should help in 35 minutes!!! You can buy it at a heallth food store.
Harry,
I do notice a quiver, or a tremor from my back to my rib cage sometimes. I wonder if that is it? I work out everyday and I never thought of that! Thanks

Old 01-12-2004, 04:56 AM   #8
(female)

StaciL320 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetersquirt
Change in position really aggravates it. It seems to go from my rib cage around to my middle back as well. After I eat, it makes it worse too. I am not sure if it because I eat too much and my expanding stomach is pushing on the spot, or if it is GI related.

I also have wondered about that same question since my ribs hurt more after I eat. I just figured maybe it was because there was more gas in the area, but maybe it also has to do with my stomach expanding and hurting my ribs more. I know when I press in the area my ribs definitely hurt more than when I don't, so you know what? People tell me don't press!

Old 01-12-2004, 02:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Also if your pressing under your ribcage and it increases the pain you could be pressing on an ulcer.Especially if it is one certain spot, or as some others say it could also be a muscular problem.

Old 01-13-2004, 09:06 AM   #10

newmommy2 HB User

Quote:
I've never posted a message before, but felt compelled to respond to you. I'm 32 years old and experienced the exact symptoms you described. I recently gave birth and thought this was part of my post-pardum pain until one day I threwup everything I ate (including water). It turned out that I had a very large gall stone about 4cm in diameter. The GI doctor told me that I probably had this for the past 10 years to get this large. 3 ERCPs later and a surgery to have my gall bladder removed I feel 100 times better. You definitely should go to the GI doctor to have this checked out.

Old 01-13-2004, 01:32 PM   #11

carebear73 HB User

Quote:
I have started to have a pain in the left lower side, near my bottom rib. Sore when pressed on. Gets a little better with massage. I am SCARED I have cancer of the stomach or something! It hurts worse when I am sitting at my desk all day hunched over and putting pressure on it. Anyone else experience this?
I have the same problem but it is on my right side and it aches constantly. I think I may have an ulcer. Have you been to the doctor about it yet?

Old 01-22-2004, 08:05 AM   #12
(male)

hallmatt HB User

Very very similar symptoms here. After a HIDA scan with CCK, my gallbladder was found to be at 8%. 30-35% is the lowest that is considered normal. Here's my story and symptoms. It might be something for people in this thread to look into:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=144243[/url]

(edit: e-mail notify)

Last edited by hallmatt; 02-02-2004 at 09:36 AM.

Old 01-22-2004, 09:07 AM   #13

bruised HB User

I'm glad someone started this thread.I have been having problems for about a week now .The pain I'm getting is sharp pains UNDER both ribs on the left and right side and upper stomach.It goes to my back.Now,I've had a kidney stone that was in my right kidney and was removed back in August.But it doesn't resemble the pain I had with that.Last night I awoke from sleeping with the worst burning ever throughout my upper stomach and under the ribs.It went to my back.I could not get comfortable.I woke up and had a glass of milk for the burning,but it didn't go away.I waited probably 15minutes before I got back up and took a huge swig of pepto bismol.I layed back down and it took about 1/2hr for it to go away.So for 45 minutes I had this burning nasty pain that wouldn't go away with any position I was in.Now I didn't have burning in my mouth.It just took over my upper half.Has anyone had this kind of burning pain that didn't go away and has actually woken them up from it??

Old 01-22-2004, 01:55 PM   #14
(female)

StaciL320 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruised
I'm glad someone started this thread.I have been having problems for about a week now .The pain I'm getting is sharp pains UNDER both ribs on the left and right side and upper stomach.It goes to my back.Now,I've had a kidney stone that was in my right kidney and was removed back in August.But it doesn't resemble the pain I had with that.Last night I awoke from sleeping with the worst burning ever throughout my upper stomach and under the ribs.It went to my back.I could not get comfortable.I woke up and had a glass of milk for the burning,but it didn't go away.I waited probably 15minutes before I got back up and took a huge swig of pepto bismol.I layed back down and it took about 1/2hr for it to go away.So for 45 minutes I had this burning nasty pain that wouldn't go away with any position I was in.Now I didn't have burning in my mouth.It just took over my upper half.Has anyone had this kind of burning pain that didn't go away and has actually woken them up from it??

Hi! Finally someone who has left and right sided rib pain. Most of the people I have come into contact with have pain either on one side or the other. My rib pain does vary in intensity and even in postion. Sometimes it is higher and sometimes it is lower. I do have one spot on my right side of my ribs that has always bothered me more but the doctor thinks it may be an inflammation of the rib area or even gas. I sometimes get heartburn, but not the kind you are describing and I don't really get the burning in my mouth. I would say in your case there is a good chance you have some kind of acid reflux going on. I was told that could cause rib pain. In my case, who knows?

Staci

Old 01-22-2004, 03:28 PM   #15
(female)

Izmik HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruised
Hi Bruised , when I had my kidney problems I started out with little sharp niggly pains near or under my ribs. Got diagnosed with 10mm kidney stone in left kidney then hydronophresis in the right kidney. One night I went to hospital with the sharp pains under the ribs, indigestion type pain in my tummy and this burning pain right across from the left rib to the right rib. I thought Id passed a stone but didnt see one. To cut a long story short. Since then my kidney problems calmed down ( still aching ) but gi problems seemed to flare up. You sound exactly how I was. Anyway I went to the doc the other day as the burning was just killing me and he gave me some Nexium tablets and I feel just so much better. Still a lot of pain in my back , seems to be towards the centre.

Off for an ultra sound in a hour and if all is ok, then an upper gi. This all stared out with a kidney stone. I hope you get checked out and are feeling better soon.

Isobelle

Closed Thread