It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2004, 03:49 PM   #1

Kitty51 HB User
Chest pain at night

Hi, I'm new to the board and hoping for some responses. Has anyone with reflux experience pain when lying down espcially at night in bed. I get this pain in the chest (center middle of breast) along with left arm pain. It seems to be worse at night lying in bed and trying to go to sleep. Does this pain sound familiar with reflux problems. I've read about chest pains with GERD but would like anyone to explain the type of chest pain and where located and if it happens at any time or at rest mostle. Had heart test and seem to be ok, just wondering. Thanks

Kathy

Old 01-19-2004, 04:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
Re: Chest pain at night

have you had a doctor look at you? left arm pain DOES NOT indicate GERD. it usually indicates a heart problem. i don't want to alarm you, but anytime you have chest pains with left arm pain you should go to the ER. they don't even make you wait with those symptoms. why do you think that it is GERD? please take care of yourself.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 06:26 PM   #3
(female)

StaciL320 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty51
Hi, I'm new to the board and hoping for some responses. Has anyone with reflux experience pain when lying down espcially at night in bed. I get this pain in the chest (center middle of breast) along with left arm pain. It seems to be worse at night lying in bed and trying to go to sleep. Does this pain sound familiar with reflux problems. I've read about chest pains with GERD but would like anyone to explain the type of chest pain and where located and if it happens at any time or at rest mostle. Had heart test and seem to be ok, just wondering. Thanks

Kathy
Dear Kathy,

What kind of heart test did you have done? Was it an echocardiogram? Have you spoken to your doctor about this pain? Acid reflux could definitely cause chest pains, but honestly, I think you should be sure that's all it is. I know acid reflux sometimes lands people in the hospital thinking they are having a heart attack, but even so, it is something you need to check out and be sure of. If you have had cardiac tests done and everything is normal, then it is probably just reflux going on. I was just wondering, does the chest pain get worse when you move around or exercise? I hope you are okay.

Staci

Old 01-19-2004, 06:28 PM   #4

cookieWI HB User

Yes, it sounds like heart, but take it from a person who has chest pains a lot (and lots of tests) that there are other things that could cause this. If you have a bad back, it can cause pain to radiate through to your chest and other areas. (I've had this happen numerous times...and lying flat on my back is bad for my back) Or, have you had a rash in the past few months on your back, stomach or abdomen? That would indicate shingles, which is a nerve inflamation. The end of each nerve bundle that is affected can send out pain. I had shingles on my left side and had horrible chest, stomach and back pains from that. So there are many other things to check out yet. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

I have gerd and yes you can experience pain in your left arm.I know cause it happened to me sometimes.I also get a pain on my left side on my shoulderblade,sometimes feels like and ache.I was worried about the pain in the arm so i mentioned to my doctor.He did somekind of newfangled test and it came back fine.I think it was somekind of test where they test your blood for some certain kind of protein.If its found thats means your at risk.I cant remember exactly what the name of the test was.Maybe someone on this board might know.Sorry i cant help more than that.You still should be checked by doctor to be sure.Take care

Old 01-19-2004, 11:53 PM   #6

coley91 HB User

Yes you can have pain in your arm and chest. I did. I had pain going up my chest near my shoulder blade and down my arm. SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME!!! Its all good though. I am using Pepcid AC complete. They are new. I take two when I feel that. Its workings great!!! I also have a friend who thought he was dying of a heart attack... and it was acid reflex. He gets pain in chest and arm and back. I wish you the best!!! Its scary when those sort of pains happen. I KNOW!!

Old 01-20-2004, 03:06 AM   #7

Kitty51 HB User

Thanks everyone for your response. In amswer tp some of your questions I've have blood tests for heart, heart cath, echo, stress thalium a few months back. My cardiologist in the past 20 years has known about my chest pain and upper back pain and has done numerous tests. I have a hernation in my neck from a whiplash injury and a hernation in my low back, fibromyalgia, costochrondritis. So I'm a mess.

I had the gastro doc do cholonoscopy, endocopy twice in the past 5 years. This seems to happen yearly nouts of this and he told me reflux can cause this type of chest pain and shoulder blade pain. It's like a burning pain. I only get occasional heartburn, never had much of heartburn just belching alot and the above pains.

I've been to the hosp numerous times with chest pain thats why they did a workup but you still never know with chest pains. Just wanted to know if anyone else gets this with GERD. Just reassurance. The chest pain seems to be worse when I lay down and rest that's why I was wondering if anyone has experienced chest pain like that cause it is so close to heart symptoms.

Aslo Neuro tells me it can be caused from my neck and brachial nerves, who knows, I have so much going on and hate to run to the ER with every chest pain i've gotten through the years. I would live in the ER. Thanks again for your replys and if anyone else experiences chest pain when laying down, please respond if you thinks GERD has caused this to happen to you. The burnging pain in shoulder blade gets bad off and on during the day.

Kathy

Old 01-20-2004, 07:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

thanks for the extra imput, it makes a clearer picture. you sound a lot like my mom. she just went into the er about 2 weeks ago at midnight because of horrible chest and arm pain. after doing all the EKG stuff which was fine, the said that it could be a reaction from her anti-inflamatory med Baxtera i think? anyway it was making her heartburn worse. she doesn't buy it. she just went for a stress test yesterday and i guess the little bottom wave didn't go back to normal as fast as it should, i don't know what that means do you? anyway if it is indeed heartburn, then yes when you lay down it would make it worse. have you read on here the benifits of magnesium? read the posts between harry and i, they are great. i hope you are ok, keep on truckin'.........
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2004, 09:31 AM   #9

coley91 HB User

Kathy,

just so you know, its always when I lay down that I get it the worst. I have the EXACT same symptoms as you. I get a lot of belching too, and I dont have any of the heart burn symptoms. Pepcid ac complete has helped me amazingly.

Nicole

Closed Thread