It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
How long does gastritis last.

I'v been having it for like 31/2 months, diareeha keeps coming back and, also my reflux...does prevacid really work..I know its helping me but, how long does it take to let go of the prevacid..I'v learnt to be careful with my foods..

Old 01-25-2004, 10:00 AM   #2

Jong HB User
Angry Re: How long does gastritis last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
I'v been having it for like 31/2 months, diareeha keeps coming back and, also my reflux...does prevacid really work..I know its helping me but, how long does it take to let go of the prevacid..I'v learnt to be careful with my foods..

I started to have gastritis right after I finished H pylori treatment in Jan 2000 and to this date, I still suffer from it. I am on PPI drugs such as Prevacid and Aciphex. They help but never completely eliminates my problem.. I always wake up due to chect and stomach discomfor in early in the morning and feel terrible in the morning. As the day progress, I feel better... I am getting very frustrated and looking for an answer, too !!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2004, 11:33 AM   #3
(female)

StaciL320 HB User
Re: How long does gastritis last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong
I started to have gastritis right after I finished H pylori treatment in Jan 2000 and to this date, I still suffer from it. I am on PPI drugs such as Prevacid and Aciphex. They help but never completely eliminates my problem.. I always wake up due to chect and stomach discomfor in early in the morning and feel terrible in the morning. As the day progress, I feel better... I am getting very frustrated and looking for an answer, too !!

Hi. When you say you wake up with chest and stomach discomfort, what exactly do you mean? I sometimes wake up with a funny feeling on my chest and aches and pains in my ribs and other spots. I also wake up nauseous most mornings, but it improves as the day goes on. I wonder why things seem to be the worst in the morning? Maybe the acid building up overnight?

Staci

Old 01-25-2004, 11:59 AM   #4

luvmyboys HB User

I just finished a round of amoxicillin and since about day 4 or 5 of treatment have been nauseous and full feeling with tons of belching that doesn't relieve any pressure. If anything it makes it feel more bloated. Do anitbiotics cause a flare up of gastritis? I am so miserable and it's hard to eat when you don't feel hungry.

Old 01-25-2004, 12:01 PM   #5

luvmyboys HB User

Oh, I forgot to add that I too would like to know how long gastritis lasts. Once you have it does it just come and go in flare ups? How long do antibiotics stay in your system if they flared it up in the first place?

Old 01-25-2004, 03:02 PM   #6

Jong HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyboys
Oh, I forgot to add that I too would like to know how long gastritis lasts. Once you have it does it just come and go in flare ups? How long do antibiotics stay in your system if they flared it up in the first place?
Are you also going through H pylori treatment? I was on Amoxillin, too as part of my H pylori treatment. Prior to the treatment, I did not have the problem but afterwards, I started to belch like crazy with loss of appetite. Then I started to heavy bloated feeling in my abdominal area. Gradually after about three months, I had severe burning 24 hrs a day. I had endoscopy that confirm severe gastritis. I am definitely sure that it is caused by antibiotics as they tend to irritate and erode the stomach lining. Once you start having gastritis, and suffer for a long time like myself, it becomes chronic condition.. Only careful diet and stress management keep the condition in check. Otherwise it will flare up again and you may need to continue to be on acid reducing drugs..

Old 01-25-2004, 03:06 PM   #7

Jong HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaciL320
Hi. When you say you wake up with chest and stomach discomfort, what exactly do you mean? I sometimes wake up with a funny feeling on my chest and aches and pains in my ribs and other spots. I also wake up nauseous most mornings, but it improves as the day goes on. I wonder why things seem to be the worst in the morning? Maybe the acid building up overnight?

Staci

Our stomach Ph level shoots up at night especially during sleeping hours. So there may be a lot of acid in our stomach during your sleep. If you have irritated stomach lining, the acid could further worsen the symptoms. So I guess that is why I feel the worst in the morning. Maybe you can try one tablet of zantac before sleep to see if it helps... I tried this but I got help and my doc thinks dosage is just too low and has recommeded PPI drugs (aciphex) once a day. It is helping but has not completely resolved my problem..

Old 01-25-2004, 04:30 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

I am feeling a little better, sticking to the BRAT diet..its really helping out and, the PPI prevacid is helping aswell..my friend Anna had it for a whole year before she started to feel better...after that, she is guiding me through..

Thanks Anna
xox

and, thanks to you all for replying.

Old 01-25-2004, 08:55 PM   #9

luvmyboys HB User

Jong,
Thanks. I am already on prevacid and have been for several years. I also take carafate two times a day. Maybe I should increase the carafate to 3 or 4 times a day. At least I know that antibiotics can flare it. Oh, and no, I was on the amox for a sinus infection.

Closed Thread