It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
Inactive

hwbe HB User
Slow digestion

Hi, I have digestion problem and thought someone may help.
Each time I eat, food stays in stomach for really long time. Doesn't matter what I eat, it may be fruit with yogurt or "heavier" food, I always feel discomfort in my stomach for a few hours after I eat. I eat healthy food, small portions, I've tried digestive enzymes, calamus rhizome tea, but it doesn't seem to help. Each time I feel like I've eaten an elephant.
I also often drink ginger, pu-erh or green tea that are known to help digestion, still nothing.. Also it seems to be worse in the evenings, my breakfast usually don't give that much discomfort.
Anyone has any ideas what could this be or what should I do? Thank you for your answers.

Old 01-31-2004, 10:05 PM   #2
(male)

hallmatt HB User
Re: Slow digestion

It could be a host of issues. Some things manifest themselves differently from person to person. It could be gastroparosis which means your stomach just becomes paralyzed. It could be GERD, where your stomach produces too much acid. Or your stomach doesn't produce enough.

It could be your gallbladder. That is what caused my bloating and gas pressure, at least one of the contributors and hopefully the only thing wrong. Gallbladder problems often give vague abdominal pain. Very descriptive huh? IBS does the same thing.

What I'm getting at is that you might feel like your stomach is distended (bulging out), but that could very well be caused by something beyond the stomach. One of my symptoms was that I had a very bloated distended belly. Felt like I was inflating from the inside and it was pushing things against my low ribs. After a HIDA with CCK, it was shown that my gallbladder only ejects about 8%. Normal is 35-75% or more. Even the doctor thought it was a reach.. until the test results came back.

You really should talk to your doctor about it. Go into great detail. They will ask about acid reflux. Mine first thought it was GERD and gave me Nexium while waiting for test results. Upper GI was perfectly normal, general abdominal ultrasound showed nothing that stuck out. I described how the pain was after a couple weeks and she thought a HIDA would be worth it but not likely. If that hadn't come back positive, she would have them sent me to a gastroenterolist who would have started at the other end probably with a colonoscopy.

It's really hard to give you a definitive diagnosis here since most of us are not doctors. The best part about this forum is to hear about symptoms and what they turned out to be. That doesn't replace medical advice, it just makes the wait between tests more bearable.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2004, 03:03 AM   #3
(female)

chriztene HB User
Re: Slow digestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallmatt
It could be a host of issues. Some things manifest themselves differently from person to person. It could be gastroparosis which means your stomach just becomes paralyzed. It could be GERD, where your stomach produces too much acid. Or your stomach doesn't produce enough.

It could be your gallbladder. That is what caused my bloating and gas pressure, at least one of the contributors and hopefully the only thing wrong. Gallbladder problems often give vague abdominal pain. Very descriptive huh? IBS does the same thing.

What I'm getting at is that you might feel like your stomach is distended (bulging out), but that could very well be caused by something beyond the stomach. One of my symptoms was that I had a very bloated distended belly. Felt like I was inflating from the inside and it was pushing things against my low ribs. After a HIDA with CCK, it was shown that my gallbladder only ejects about 8%. Normal is 35-75% or more. Even the doctor thought it was a reach.. until the test results came back.

You really should talk to your doctor about it. Go into great detail. They will ask about acid reflux. Mine first thought it was GERD and gave me Nexium while waiting for test results. Upper GI was perfectly normal, general abdominal ultrasound showed nothing that stuck out. I described how the pain was after a couple weeks and she thought a HIDA would be worth it but not likely. If that hadn't come back positive, she would have them sent me to a gastroenterolist who would have started at the other end probably with a colonoscopy.

It's really hard to give you a definitive diagnosis here since most of us are not doctors. The best part about this forum is to hear about symptoms and what they turned out to be. That doesn't replace medical advice, it just makes the wait between tests more bearable.

Good luck!
Does anyone know of meds/herbal remedies to help with slow digestion? I have heard of flax seed oil? Any information/links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chriztene

Closed Thread