It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2004, 04:22 PM   #1
(male)

Perry2 HB User
What foods are the worst for your ulcer/gerd problems?

I am trying to find what foods, or specific ingredients I should be avoiding. Also does anyone know what foods will actually prevent the healing as opposed to those which simply cause discomfort. I can deal with a
bit of stomach discomfort but being stoic is stupid if it prevent the healing. It took me a while to realize that coffee is no longer something I can tolerate, along with vitamin C supplementing and possibly tomato. Any ideas?

Old 02-02-2004, 05:24 AM   #2
Inactive

Saraly HB User
Re: What foods are the worst for your ulcer/gerd problems?

Generally speaking, I would avoid caffeine, spicy food and highly acidic food.
I didn't give up vitamin C , I use the buffered form now. I have one cup of coffee in the morning but take a natural product called Prelief before I drink it. Prelief removes the acid from food.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2004, 11:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Lemonade is the worst thing for my GERD. All citrus juices are bad. Eating citrus fruit is OK. When you chew it, the enzymes in your saliva break it down; when you drink juice, you're just pouring the acid right into your stomach.

Coffee, alcahol, and carbonated beverages are all bad for me. Spicy food isn'ta problem.

Old 02-03-2004, 12:06 PM   #4
Inactive

Saraly HB User

I ate grape fruit once and wound up in the ER.

Old 02-03-2004, 01:02 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

also foods with vinegar and, mustard and, ketchup, salad dressings..etc, yup, lots of foods trigar acid..but I'm on prevacid so I'm fine. I should be on it for a while still..http://cmw.dailymoviereviews.com/otn...iggrinlove.gif

Old 02-05-2004, 12:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraly
I ate grape fruit once and wound up in the ER.
Yikes!
Well, the only citrus I've actually tried eating since it started bothering me have been oranges and ugli fruit. I can't eat them very often, but I can eat them. Grapefruit always irritated my mouth, even without the GERD.

Losec20mg -

I'm on Prevacid too. The doctor wants me to stay on it at least a year.

I've tried and tried to quit coffee. I can stop and I go through withdrawal and it sucks, but then I'm fine. Then after a few weeks I'll start drinking it again without even noticing I've started.

Old 02-05-2004, 04:12 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbow
Yikes!
Well, the only citrus I've actually tried eating since it started bothering me have been oranges and ugli fruit. I can't eat them very often, but I can eat them. Grapefruit always irritated my mouth, even without the GERD.

Losec20mg -

I'm on Prevacid too. The doctor wants me to stay on it at least a year.

I've tried and tried to quit coffee. I can stop and I go through withdrawal and it sucks, but then I'm fine. Then after a few weeks I'll start drinking it again without even noticing I've started.
Yo Crossbow..I also quit coffee and, became a tea drinker instead. The coffee gives me acid, heartburn...

Old 02-06-2004, 10:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
Yo Crossbow..I also quit coffee and, became a tea drinker instead. The coffee gives me acid, heartburn...
Tried that. Tea makes me nauseous. No idea why - I used to drink black tea every day until the melita single-serving drip cone was invented and I could make coffee in my dorm room. Now tea makes me nauseous. Green tea too. IT'S NOT FAIR. I especially miss Twinning's Irish Breakfast. Drink a cuppa that for me, will you?

Last edited by Crossbow; 02-06-2004 at 10:09 AM.

Old 02-06-2004, 03:04 PM   #9
Inactive

Saraly HB User

Irish breakfast is my favorite cuppa too!!! It also makes me nauseous. Taking Prelief before I drink it helps but not always. I would think coffee would be worse but it doesn't make me nauseous it just burns my stomach out and gives me heartburn.

Closed Thread