It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2004, 06:35 PM   #1

Auberdine HB User
Digesting too quickly?

I don't think I've posted in this forum, so first I will tell you a little about myself. I am a 21 year old female, 5'3", 105 lbs, who is in college (stress) and isn't very active, although I am taking some yoga/pilates twice a week now. I'm pretty healthy overall. I did find out I had an internal hemorrhoid last spring and have been trying to eat more fiber since.
Now, I have noticed that my stomach "grumbles" a lot, especially at night when I'm on my side. I don't have any pain, etc. Also, I think I am digesting food extremely quickly. I heard you are supposed to digest meals in lik 10 hours, but mine are usually much less. Water goes through me like that...that's why I don't drink it much and because of this I think I am somewhat dehydrated much of the time. I am working on that. But I had a McDonald's grilled chicken salad today around 2:30pm and I had a bowel movement at 5:30pm. The bowel movement was a little loose, but not watery. (I know this sounds gross, but there were "chunks") Anyway, I could see small little green things (lettuce) in the stool and I know this was the salad because I hadn't eaten any other green things (or veggies) in a couple days (I know, bad). Is there something wrong with my absorption or something? If anyone knows about this, I would greatly appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2004, 11:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Digesting too quickly?

All fiber is not the same some moves through without change-- the insoluble type but the soluble type absorbs liquid and slows your digestion down and make it somewhat water lggged.

You could try a water soluble fiber like psyllium -- not many calories either.
Other soluble foods include all grains, beans, root veggies and some fruits.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2004, 03:57 AM   #3

longtimehurtin HB User
Re: Digesting too quickly?

My husband digests food very quickly too, sometimes in 1-2 hours. He has had many tests with many doctors and they cannot find anything wrong. Vegetables and any dairy go through the fastest. Also be careful with fiber I added too much to fast for my system (wow was that uncomfortable!) My doctor put my on 1 glass of metamusil daily (is is not addictive) It seems to be doing the trick. Hope this helps, good luck.
Tan

Closed Thread