It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2004, 08:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Twisted Colon

My mother just had a much needed colonoscopy. Her problem has been very infrequent bowel movements. Her family doctor was prescribing all sorts of medications that were supposed to give her some relief but nothing worked. The OTC stuff didn't help either. I kept encouraging her to get a colonoscopy because it sounded to me like something was blocked and it needed to be checked out. FINALLY, her family sent her to a GI and she had the colonoscopy yesterday.

She had one polyp biopsied but the doctor said it looked like nothing (I still always worry). She was also told that she has Divericulitis and a slightly twisted colon. He said that the twisted colon was causing the constipation. He also said there wasn't anything they could do to fix it and suggested that my mom change her diet to include more fruits, veggies and fiber (which is what I have been telling her for months). She thinks that she can take metamucil one time and it should make her go. I tell her it doesn't work that way.

I guess I also learned that you can have Divericulitis w/o pain. I assume that it eventually would have led to pain but I always assumed that Divericulitis always causes immediate intense pain. I guess she is in the beginnnig stage of Divericulitis.

Anyway, thought I would share that info. Anyone else been diagnosed with a twisted colon?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2004, 02:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
Re: Twisted Colon

My 95-year-old grandmother, in a nursing home, got sick as a dog one day. The only option was to take her to surgery. The whole family was thinking a cancer reccurance and that it was all over. There was a kink in her intestine that may have been there since birth. She lived for another year and a half.

fly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2004, 07:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

Thanks for the response. My mom also told me that she was told that she has ulcerative colitis. So that make divericulitis, colitis and a twisted colon. I sure hope she listens to the me and the doc in regards to making the appropriate changes to her diet.

Last edited by moderator4; 03-08-2004 at 09:59 PM.

Old 03-08-2004, 08:47 AM   #4
Inactive

Saraly HB User

I also have a twisted colon but it doesn't cause much of a problem if I keep my diet high in fiber and take Metamucil every night.
I have Diverticulosis which is painless unless food becomes impacted and infected and causes Diverticulitis which is always very painful and may result in needing surgery. Diverticulosis means there are pouches or pockets in the intestine where food may become caught and cause infection. When that happens it's called Diverticulitis.

Old 03-08-2004, 01:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

You are right, she has diverticulosis and not -litis. I have been saying -litis but she hasn't been in pain like what is caused by -litis. She has areas that I believe are vulnerable to infection if she becomes impacted. I have been on her about adding more fruits and veggies to her diet and to start supplementing w/ metamucil, benefiber or something. If she doesn't listen and she gets diverticulitis, she will listen then. However, I do think she is listening and wants to reverse her condition or at least prevent it from becoming worse. She bought some benefiber and she talked about buying healthier foods. I tols her to stay with the new diet and fiber supplemenation for at least a week or two to see what happens. If it helps, great and if not, more diet adjustments may be needed. I told her this won't correct itself overnight. Thanks for getting me on diverticulitis because I have been using the word interchangeably with diverticulosis w/ shouldn't be done.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
(female)

Annrey723 HB User

I was diagonised this past week with a twisted colon. I went for my colonoscopy and the Doctor was not able to complete the procedure and I was sent to the Hospital for a Barium Enema. That was very scarry especially since I was still under sedation. They have now put me on Metamucil 2 times a day and 30 grams of fiber daily. I also was diagonsed with diverticulosis 12 years ago. My doctor said my colon was not twisted by lack of fiber. The last colonoscopy I had 8 years ago detected my colon was pinched then. The very last thing I want to happen is to have to wear a bag. Is anyone else as scared of that as I am?

Old 07-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
(female)

wag0814 HB User

I have.

I was diagnosed with a twisted colon due to the fact of overuse of OTC meds, ex: PEPTO BISMOL, AMMODIUM AD, etc. - years ago I had an ulcer when I was teenager....check out my post MEGACOLON. (it explains it)

Last edited by wag0814; 07-17-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
(female)

twistedgut HB User

Yes, I was just diagnosed with twisted colon last Thursday and waiting for responses from others about it as well. My doc said the same thing to me about diet and Metamucil. However, everything I've read said this needed to be addressed immediately as it could be deadly. He told my mother-in-law to have me schedule an appointment to see him in 4 weeks. My pain is becoming worse so I have schedule to see him on Wednesday to discuss this further as I want to know more details of the seriousness of this or at least of my own condition. He said mine was "a little twisted." I want to know, how "little" is little and how big is big?

I'd love some input if anyone knows and I'm sure this person would also.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by actudan View Post
My mother just had a much needed colonoscopy. Her problem has been very infrequent bowel movements. Her family doctor was prescribing all sorts of medications that were supposed to give her some relief but nothing worked. The OTC stuff didn't help either. I kept encouraging her to get a colonoscopy because it sounded to me like something was blocked and it needed to be checked out. FINALLY, her family sent her to a GI and she had the colonoscopy yesterday.

She had one polyp biopsied but the doctor said it looked like nothing (I still always worry). She was also told that she has Divericulitis and a slightly twisted colon. He said that the twisted colon was causing the constipation. He also said there wasn't anything they could do to fix it and suggested that my mom change her diet to include more fruits, veggies and fiber (which is what I have been telling her for months). She thinks that she can take metamucil one time and it should make her go. I tell her it doesn't work that way.

I guess I also learned that you can have Divericulitis w/o pain. I assume that it eventually would have led to pain but I always assumed that Divericulitis always causes immediate intense pain. I guess she is in the beginnnig stage of Divericulitis.

Anyway, thought I would share that info. Anyone else been diagnosed with a twisted colon?

Old 06-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
(female)

randikay HB User

I was JUST diagnosed with the same thing due to constipation, twisted colon, or "tortuous bowel". The doctor put me on Amitza, 8mcg twice a day. The pharmacist says that it works "wonderful" for people that have bowel irregularity. Even with excellent insurance, it was $30.00 for a month. After taking it ONE day, the next day was as if I had just taken the colonoscopy prep again, watery, out of the blue liquid stools. My first thought was that I still didn't have enough "solid" food in me, after doing clear liquids one day, the prep, the results of the prep, then the endoscopy, and not much to eat that day. I waited for 5 days, and all the same, liquid stool, with little to no "notice". Yesterday, I quit taking the wonderful stuff and will go back to the equivalent of Senokot S. I am a hospice nurse, and patients that are on pain medications FREQUENTLY have constipation, as the pain meds slow the natural motion of the bowel. I always suggested Senokot S. It is natural, and a stool softener and mild laxative in one. Most stores have their own brand. I purchase mine, at Walmart, it is right next to Senokot S. The S stands for "senosides". The stool softener is docusate sodium. It always worked well with my patients and myself, and that is what I'm going back to. I have a follow up visit with the GI doctor in 2 weeks and will let him know that the "wonderful medication" was worse that the prep!!! Best of luck with your Mom! I understand her discomfort~

Closed Thread