It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2004, 10:37 AM   #1
(female)

Zipity HB User
Gum...good or bad for stomach?

A friend of mine told me once that his doctor told him to stop chewing gum, that it was the cause of his heartburn and other stomach problems. He said when you chew gum, the brain senses the chewing and sends a signal to the stomach to produce acid because it thinks you're eating food.

But when I don't feel well, from overeating, or something else, I chew a piece of peppermint gum and the "juices" seem to make me feel better.

Anyone know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2004, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User
Re: Gum...good or bad for stomach?

I heard that gum can cause heartburn and stomach pain because your sucking in extra air which causes gas. Have no idea how accurate or true this is though as I'm not a gum chewer because of tmj.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2004, 12:25 PM   #3

hulibob HB User
Wink Re: Gum...good or bad for stomach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipity
A friend of mine told me once that his doctor told him to stop chewing gum, that it was the cause of his heartburn and other stomach problems. He said when you chew gum, the brain senses the chewing and sends a signal to the stomach to produce acid because it thinks you're eating food.

But when I don't feel well, from overeating, or something else, I chew a piece of peppermint gum and the "juices" seem to make me feel better.

Anyone know?
undefinedundefined Well, Zipity, it makes sense to me that if the brain is fooled into thinking you're eating and sends the message to your stomach for the digestive chemicals to be stimulated even if you aren't eating or haven't eaten, that the same would be true even if, having eaten the chemicals have already been stimulated. Perhaps you would even stimulate more digestive chemicals--and digest the food faster--and so Feel Better! Hmmm.How about that???? I can believe the thing about gum and stomach acid, though.I'va also heard that all the refined/processed foods we eat cause Gastric Reflux (which is pretty common these days). jules

Last edited by hulibob; 03-18-2004 at 12:26 PM.

Old 03-18-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
(female)

Zipity HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulibob
undefinedundefined Well, Zipity, it makes sense to me that if the brain is fooled into thinking you're eating and sends the message to your stomach for the digestive chemicals to be stimulated even if you aren't eating or haven't eaten, that the same would be true even if, having eaten the chemicals have already been stimulated. Perhaps you would even stimulate more digestive chemicals--and digest the food faster--and so Feel Better! Hmmm.How about that???? I can believe the thing about gum and stomach acid, though.I'va also heard that all the refined/processed foods we eat cause Gastric Reflux (which is pretty common these days). jules
Yeah, when he told me this, it seemed to make sense. It was believable, I had just never heard of it before.

Old 03-18-2004, 06:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

All things in moderation work well, but, should you chew gum between meals it will keep the gastric juices flowing and there will be no food for it to work on. In this case the acid will work on the stomach lining. Chewing gum after a meal should be o.k. but do not continue chewing too long.

Closed Thread