It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2004, 10:55 AM   #1

hope2004 HB User
Prelief???

Does anyone know about this supplement??? is it good for digestion??? need some help please??

Old 04-19-2004, 03:03 PM   #2

Mare53 HB User
Re: Prelief???

I use Prelief for my interstitial cysitits. It is a formula that neutralizes acid. It's natural and harmless so you could try it. I order it online, and haven't found a local store that sells it yet, have you? I'm in central Ohio. Hope it works for you! Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2004, 04:18 PM   #3

hope2004 HB User

Mare53 thanks for the information...I can't find this product at local store either...I'll have to order online too. Is it product help with your interstitial cysitits???? thanks again

Old 04-20-2004, 07:31 AM   #4

luvmyboys HB User

I also use it for interstitial cystitis. I have found it at Walgreens and Osco. I think Wal Mart has it too. It's usually by the antacids and gas remedies. I really haven't had a problem finding it. It also seems to help me with my IBS. Causes a little constipation. I only take it with chocolate, tomato stuff, and pop. Those are the only things that usually flare up my IC.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:10 AM   #5

Mare53 HB User

Thanks for the Wal-Mart tip! I have a question re: your IC...does it affect more than your bladder? I have had constant pain/ache in my ribs on my right side and also my hip bones on my left and it seems to get worse when the bladder pain flares up. I have no idea what this is, and assume it's related to the IC, but am beginning to wonder. I never seem to be rid of any of the symptoms, including bladder pain for more than a couple of days at a time. How careful are you about your diet? I eat no tomatoes, no chocolate or soda, and yogurt seems to bother me too, as well as prunes and some other similar things. I just wonder if it will ever get better....

Old 04-20-2004, 03:46 PM   #6

luvmyboys HB User

I don't really seem to have bladder pain, just urgency and not going very much when it feels like I have to go so bad. I only found out I had it when they found traces of blood in my urine and investigated with a scope. I do however get rib pain and hip and back pain, but figured it was all due to my many, many digestive problems. I have IBS and gerd and bile reflux gastritis. I only watch my diet when I'm feeling sick. Otherwise I eat whatever I want to because I am underweight and need any calories I can get. Mine all gets worse during my period too.

I'm not positive about Wal Mart, but I know I had no trouble finding the prelief and wal mart seems to have just about anything I'm looking for. But I do go to Walgreens a lot too.

I don't know if IC ever gets better or not. I know some people have to take elmiron (SP?), but I don't take it. Like I said I never even knew I had it. I just figured my urgency and leaking when sneezing etc. was due to having kids. Since that's when I noticed those symptoms.

Old 04-20-2004, 06:48 PM   #7

Mare53 HB User

I declined to be scoped, since I have heard that it can make the condition worse, so my diagnosis was simply on the basis of the symptoms. I was constantly having urinalysis done because of recurrent bladder infections, but there was never a bacterial infection, so the doctor surmised that is was IC. I guess I would say that I have all the symptoms that you do, with the urgency and frequency along with pain. I also have digestive problems, and am on Nexium, mastic gum, and DGL for those. Did you read the boards about magnesium being a miracle supplement for digestive problems like gerd? I take it, but at a low level, so plan to up the dosage of that and see what happens. I no longer have periods and am on hormone replacement therapy, so I've wondered if that isn't part of the problem. But my hot flashes are so bad that when I've tried to go off, I had to go right back on. Supplements don't help me in that department. Back to the IC, I use Prelief and Elmiron as well, but have only been on it a couple of weeks and they say it takes a couple of months at least to notice a difference. Hope it works! It's expensive!

Old 04-21-2004, 06:51 AM   #8

hope2004 HB User

I am taking Prelief since yesterday, well.....I don't think it help me because last night I get up with terrible heart burn that I have to take AXID right away :-(

Old 04-21-2004, 07:15 AM   #9
(female)

maggiecttr HB User

[QUOTE=Mare53]I declined to be scoped, since I have heard that it can make the condition worse, so my diagnosis was simply on the basis of the symptoms. I was constantly having urinalysis done because of recurrent bladder infections, but there was never a bacterial infection, so the doctor surmised that is was IC. QUOTE]

Hi, ladies-with-IC: I had IC a few years back & went through lots of urine tests for bacteria & they never found any---UNTIL I had a broth culture done on my urine (there are two Virginia labs that do it.) I don't know if Dr. Fugazzotto's Cystitis REsearch Center is still in operation or not, but he tested my urine using a broth culture growing medium & found enterococcus faecalis, the main bacteria associated with IC symptoms. I was on Augmentin 250-mg. chewables for 5 1/2 months, in slowly decreasing doses, & got better! Worth thinking about, unless you have problems taking antibiotics. Marshmallow root tea was a Godsend as well--sooths the bladder walls & increases the mucillage coating. Not only is it good for he bladder, but also the digestive tract---like DGL, mastica, L. glutamine, slippery elm, etc., it can help increase the protective "coating" of the stomach, intestines, etc. You can buy it in bulk at a co-op-type place.

I still am fighting the "burbles" (esophageal twitching) that occurs several times a day with my nonerosive reflux (I am on Nexium) , but at least my bladder's been A-OK for over 3 years now.
My prayers are with you to find healing.
Maggie C.

Last edited by maggiecttr; 04-21-2004 at 07:16 AM.

Old 04-21-2004, 10:43 AM   #10

luvmyboys HB User

Okay guys. I was just at Walmart and sorry to say I didn't see any prelief, so I must have gotten it at Jewel/osco or walgreens.

Maggiecttr,

Thanks for all those tips! Augmentin tears my colon to pieces, but maybe a low dose like that wouldn't be as bad. It is worth thinking about. By the way I get burbles too. Sometimes my throat where I swallow will tighten up or spasm or something wierd and it will feel like I'm going to be sick only my stomach doesn't feel nauseous at that time. Then I freak out and then the queasies and panic sets in!

Mare53,

I have read about magnesium, but am afraid to try it because sometimes even vitamins don't agree with me. I want to start calcium too, but again am afraid because I do feel nauseous alot of the time. Maybe this summer when there aren't so many flu bugs and colds and other viruses going around for my kids to share with me, I'll feel better and will be able to be more relaxed and then will try them.

I don't really have bad periods anymore either. I am only 34 but had uterine ablation done due to heavy bleeding and severe cramping and feeling so sick with my periods. That has helped. I have already entered perimenopause and have had night sweats and hot flashes for 6 years since having my kids. My family has a history of early menopause like done with periods before age 50. So I guess I have that to look forward to. My mom had a lot of problems with bleeding during that time and hopefully since I had the ablation I won't have that part of it.

Also the only meds I am on are prevacid, carafate and xanax - all for digestive problems. I do take Phazyme for gas and prelief and lactaid as well.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:04 PM   #11

Mare53 HB User

Thanks so much for the tips Maggie and the encouragement re: the IC. I don't know whether I will go so far as to track down a lab myself, but if this doesn't resolve before too long, maybe my doctor could help with it. I do take Elmiron which is a px for IC but takes many months to work, so can't say if it's helping yet. I do take L-Glutamine and DGL so maybe that will help, too.

luvmyboys: I am somewhat sensitive to supplements and I have to say that magnesium doesn't bother me. If it's the miracle drug that many claim it to be, I will be very excited. I have upped my dosage beginning yesterday and I have to say that my stomach really feels better today. We shall see! Isn't it fun to get older? All these things that go wrong...all I can say is that it makes me much more excited about getting that new body eventually that never gets sick and dies that it talks about in the Bible! Yay! Anyway, take care. And Maggie, thanks for the prayers. I have prayed for you as well, and now will for both of you!

Closed Thread