It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2004, 09:06 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User
Question upper endoscopy

Anyone had an upper endoscopy? What after affects did you have?

Old 04-29-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Re: upper endoscopy

Tired for few hours after the procedure and a sore throat for about two days were my only aftereffects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 02:22 PM   #3
(female)

ventcrew HB User

Same as actudan but I also was a bit sick to my stomach that night. The next day I felt great.

Old 04-29-2004, 02:45 PM   #4

carebear73 HB User

Felt fine afterwards. Sore throat for a few hours afterward. Was just wondering why you were tired afterward Acudan? Did you have anesthetic?

Old 04-29-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
Veteran

Lia813 HB User

I was fine until the throat numbing spray wore off. Then I felt like I had a knife stuck in the right side of my throat for about 3 days. Then it all let up and I felt just like I did before the scope. Not that that was good! But I did not have any after effects from the scope but the knife feeling for those few days. Lia

Old 04-30-2004, 05:41 AM   #6

luvmyboys HB User

I've had probably 5 or 6 of them and felt different after each one. I've felt nauseous, actually thrown up, just been tired, sore throat, no sore throat. The last one I had I felt fine, not even tired. They didn't give me any demerol because it makes me sick and just gave me the versed and throat spray. I had no pain either. Actually the best one I've ever had even though I remember gagging a bit during the test.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear73
Felt fine afterwards. Sore throat for a few hours afterward. Was just wondering why you were tired afterward Acudan? Did you have anesthetic?

Yes. I was actually more tired after my EGD than I was after my colonoscopy. Also, I forgot to mention that my stomach was a little sore for about a day. I think it my have something to do with the bipsy that was taken.

Old 04-30-2004, 09:13 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqbu
Anyone had an upper endoscopy? What after affects did you have?
I had same effects as carebear, and have had 7 of them done over the years with same effects.

Katie G

Old 04-30-2004, 10:08 AM   #9
(female)

StaciL320 HB User

Has anyone ever had an endoscopy done and been fully asleep. I have a terrible fear of gagging and if I needed to have that test done would panic at the thought of what was being done. The same goes for a colonscopy. Although I know the scope goes in the other end, I also have a real fear of that test, especially since I am prone towards panic attacks. Have any of you ever been fully asleep for that test as well? Is there any reason why a person can't be put fully asleep when these tests are done? I know most people are put into a twilight state, but I never understood why a person has to be awake at all since they do these tests on children and put them fully asleep.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: upper endoscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaciL320
Has anyone ever had an endoscopy done and been fully asleep. I have a terrible fear of gagging and if I needed to have that test done would panic at the thought of what was being done. The same goes for a colonscopy. Although I know the scope goes in the other end, I also have a real fear of that test, especially since I am prone towards panic attacks. Have any of you ever been fully asleep for that test as well? Is there any reason why a person can't be put fully asleep when these tests are done? I know most people are put into a twilight state, but I never understood why a person has to be awake at all since they do these tests on children and put them fully asleep.

Because of the valium + versad I'm given, it seems like I sleep right through, since I don't remember a thing anyway. I guess it's called conscious sedation since I'm supposedly awake. One minute I'm talking to the doctor, the next I'm aware of the recovery area and a nurse telling me I can get dressed. The doctor can monitor your anxiety level and adjust the sedative accordingly I think.

Katie G

Old 04-30-2004, 11:06 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaciL320

I've had two and don't remember a thing when the first one was performed. I was lucid enough to know what was going on during the 2nd. I gagged just a little but the meds kept me calm enough to prevent me from panicking. I believe how much you are awake depends on your doctor, the meds used and how your body reacts to the meds.

Old 04-30-2004, 12:47 PM   #12

luvmyboys HB User

I usually am very nervous and panicky to the point of crying and shaking and feeling like I am going to throw up or have diahrrea every time I have these tests done and almost the minute the meds go in I feel this warm state of relaxation wash over me. I have also watched my husband have an upper and a lower done and they monitor people closely on blood pressure and heart rate and the oxygen level in the blood. They do give you instructions and tell you to take deep breaths during the test and with the conscious sedation you are able to understand and follow the directions.

Old 04-30-2004, 06:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Ive had 2 endoscopies and am getting a 3rd one may 18th.For both i remember them putting and iv in my arm wheeling me into the next room putting a rubber mouth piece in my mouth and that was it.Wokeup went shopping at the mall had lunch and was fine.No problems for me.

Closed Thread