It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2004, 06:35 PM   #1

terri48 HB User
Endoscopy - How Are You Supposed to Swallow Tube if You're Asleep?

I am having an endoscopy this week. The lump in my throat and reflux has gotten me to the point where I don't care, my fear of Barrett's, stricture and cancer is greater than my fear of the procedure, which I have put off for a year out of terror. He told me I will be just as asleep as when he did the colonoscopy. I love and trust my doctor. But, I don't understand how when they tell you to swallow, you can do it at will. I realize you are not under general anesthesia, but rather "conscious sedation" and can hear what they're saying but knowing you have to swallow this tube, maybe I won't do it! This is my fear. What happens if my mind refuses to swallow this? I mean, who wouldn't be afraid of swallowing a thick tube with a light? Argh, this is scary! From what I understand, you HAVE to, they can't just push it down to your esophagus. Any answers would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2004, 06:48 PM   #2
(female)

mswcdm HB User
Talking Re: Endoscopy - How Are You Supposed to Swallow Tube if You're Asleep?

I have had 5 endoscopies and have only been "awake" for one. The others I have been very well sedated and they are able to manipulate the tube down the esophagus. Best of luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2004, 07:42 PM   #3
(female)

StaciL320 HB User
Re: Endoscopy - How Are You Supposed to Swallow Tube if You're Asleep?

Hi! When you say you were awake for only one endoscopy, so you mean you were totally asleep for the others? Do you happen to know if it is standard procedure to be totally put to sleep for an endoscopy and or a colonscopy. I have such a fear of these tests, but especially of the endoscopy. I can't even swallow a pill without chewing it, so I can't imagine having a big long tube stuck down my throat. Can this be done while a person is totally asleep? Being in a twilight state isn't good enough for me since I am afraid I would have a panic attack right on the table.

Old 05-03-2004, 08:32 PM   #4

terri48 HB User

Staci, I have had panic attacks all of my life and also crush pills so you know I am being brave now! The drug they give is propophol (not sure of spelling). It's a very short term anesthesia. I also had it for my colonoscopy. They started the IV and the next thing I knew they said "Wake up". I felt nothing, had no awareness. Now, people will tell you that if they speak you, you can follow orders, but believe me, nobody I know who had this drug knew a thing. I started this thread so obviosly am nervous about swallowing a tube! But please hang in there. I will come back here on Thursday or Friday and post a new thread about my endoscopy or maybe add to this one. While I don't know you, I can say "If I can do this, so can you". I put this off for almost a year and am much more frightened now of the harm I have done to my esophagus than the 5 minutes test. I am at the point where if he had said today "Let's do it awake", I would have said yes. I am curious though, how I will swalloe that tube if I am in never never land. I just got off the phone with a friend who's a nurse and she said you swallow some lidocaine first so you don't feel it, then they start the IV and in your sleep you swallow. I await answers and to the poster who said "you gag a lot", please...it's not true for everyone, and you just serve to scare people. You don't gag if you're asleep, the dr. does NOT want a perforation and they make mighty sure that you don't move and are adequately sedated.

Old 05-04-2004, 06:28 AM   #5

terri48 HB User

Thanks for the reassurance. Were you awake when you had to swallow the tube? There is no way I could do that if I am awake, I am not even good with swallowing a big pill. I have a psychological block and I am afraid they will send me home because I can't swallow the tube and camera. I have 3 more days to think about this and am scared!

Old 05-04-2004, 08:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: Endoscopy - How Are You Supposed to Swallow Tube if You're Asleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri48
I am having an endoscopy this week. The lump in my throat and reflux has gotten me to the point where I don't care, my fear of Barrett's, stricture and cancer is greater than my fear of the procedure, which I have put off for a year out of terror. He told me I will be just as asleep as when he did the colonoscopy. I love and trust my doctor. But, I don't understand how when they tell you to swallow, you can do it at will. I realize you are not under general anesthesia, but rather "conscious sedation" and can hear what they're saying but knowing you have to swallow this tube, maybe I won't do it! This is my fear. What happens if my mind refuses to swallow this? I mean, who wouldn't be afraid of swallowing a thick tube with a light? Argh, this is scary! From what I understand, you HAVE to, they can't just push it down to your esophagus. Any answers would be appreciated.

Hi terri - no worries, ok? I've had 7 endos done, and don't remember a thing from any of them. You will be in a "twilight" state - supposedly awake enough to follow commands, but your throat will be numb from the lidocaine, and if your doc is like mine, you'll get a combination of valium (relaxes you) + versad (causes you to not be aware of what's going on), but you'll still follow commands. Or at least you'll be out of it enough that the doc will just move the tube down your throat and you will swallow it reflexively during the procedure.

They really are a piece of cake, but I know how scary the unknown is. Once you get through this one, you'll wonder what all the worry was about. You may have a sore throat for a day, and feel tired/groggy, but otherwise, it's no big deal. Good for you to have it done to monitor esophageal damage.

Keep us posted,
Katie G

Old 05-04-2004, 12:23 PM   #7
Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Terri, if I can do it you can do it. I was terrified . My blood pressure was so high during it all because I was just scared to death. I have high BP anyway and was not allowed to take my meds for it that morning. I had versed and valium per IV and I was even scared of the needle so they used a pediatric needle with me. I can tell you that the meds did not put me to sleep. I was totally awake and never closed my eyes but I am hard to medicate . Pills that would knock out anybody else don't faze me, sleeping pills or valium and the like. I think I fight it actually . I remember everything , I was totally awake , but the numbing throat spray made it very easy. It did not hurt and I reflexively swallowed the tube with no problem. Even though I was awake the entire time and talked to the Dr right after , as he gave me my test results right away as I was not even woozy. I can tell you that it was easy. All my worry was for nothing. Even awake, with the throat numbing spray I did fine. What I did was say a Jewish Kaballa that a friend sent me over and over in my head during it and it helped me a lot . It is just a calling forth of the angels to watch over you. I would post it on here if I'm allowed to but I don't know . My endsocopy showed nothing wrong at all so I have another test ahead of me , a manometry and that one I dread as the tube goes thru the nose , down the throat and into the stomach , with no sedation at all. I do hope they use some spray , the spray is a life saver . Don't worry you will do just fine. I know that I was just as panicked as you are and I can tell you that it was not difficult , I would not be afraid to have the endoscopy again. Now this manometry , I don't know about that ! Lia

Old 05-04-2004, 12:38 PM   #8

terri48 HB User

Thank you, Lia. I would love to see the prayer, I don't think it would be banned. I'lltake the Kabbalah, the new and old testament, lol, anything to help me calm do. I have heard about the tests that go through the nose. You can check on google. I promised myself to stay away from google until Thursday, all it does is scare me. What are your symptoms? Do they think you have reflux?

Old 05-04-2004, 01:03 PM   #9
Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Terri, I also just answered you about the magnesium brand on the magnesium thread too. Oh my , my symptoms started Jan 1 with slamming chest pain upon each and every swallow of food or water or pills or anything. Terrible, hard , chest pain spreading to the back and behind each breast and into the jaw and ear and arms. I did not have any acid back up in my mouth so if I have reflux it is silent. I went to the Dr the FIRST time with it on Jan. 15 and he started me on Aciphex. I did not get better . He wanted to schedule an endoscopy and I was too scared so I talked him into a Barrium Swallow. It showed an ulceration or large mass !! Freak out time ! I then had to go and have an endoscopy which you've already read that tale. It was clean. Showed NOTHING, either it was a shadow or something on the barrium xray or had it been an ulceration it was healed . Yet I have the pain. The Dr thought I had esophagitis but with a clean endoscopy he thinks now maybe esophageal spasms. He is giving me 4 to 6 weeks on the doubled up PPI and I am now on week 5 and added the H2 Blocker and 3 magnesium per day to it myself. Just hoping to get enough better not to have to have the manometry. I've read about it on google and you are so right , I managed to scare myself to death !! I am gonna write the moderators and ask if I can post that Jewish Kaballah on here , I don't want to get thrown off these boards !! I don't know if they allow religious stuff. I am not very religious myself just grasping at straws with my horrid fear of medical procedures and total panic !! I'm sure you understand . Anyway a Jewish friend sent me the Kaballah and it was short enough for me to be able to memorize and I tell you all during that endoscopy and before it I was saying it over and over in my head. Calling the angels to help me, ANYBODY, heehee. I'll post it if they say I can . Good luck. Lia

Old 05-04-2004, 01:15 PM   #10
Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Terri, I just emailed the moderators about the Kaballah to see if I could post it. I hope to hear back from them soon as I know you are working on a time limit here before your procedure. IT and the throat spray sailed me right thru it ! I'll post it as soon as I have the ok. Lia

Old 05-04-2004, 07:20 PM   #11
Veteran

Lia813 HB User

To Terri. Here is what helped me in my distress before and during the endoscopy. It was sent to me by a friend and I memorized it and just said it over and over in my head and it calmed me . This is from a Jewish Kabalah, an ancient mystical book, but it's also the same angels that are in the Bible, it's to protect and guide us. Here it is:

Angels come with me abide
Be now present at my side
Grant me wisdom from above
Bring me knowledge filled with Love

(now really visualize this...)

I call forth
Michael on my right side
Gabriel on my Left.
Uriel in front of me
Raphael in the back
And the divine presence of God overhead
to watch over and protect us.

Each angel represents a different power and strength.

Old 05-04-2004, 07:32 PM   #12

terri48 HB User

Thank you so much, Lia! I printed it out. Just the fact that you took the time to write this out, it will be special to me and a great comfort when I have to go through this. This was so very kind of you!!! hugs :-)

Old 05-04-2004, 10:55 PM   #13

longtimehurtin HB User
Thumbs up Re: Endoscopy - How Are You Supposed to Swallow Tube if You're Asleep?

I have had so many endoscopies it's crazy, I have been awake for most (They have a hard time putting me under) anyway, the drugs they give you relax your throat to the point where anything could go down! my gag reflux is so bad from being sick that I thought there would be no way, but there was and it is actually no big deal. I had a sore throat for a day or two after but thats it. Just remember, before you go in breathe deep, think good thoughts, and what helped me the most, keep your eyes closed. I also crack jokes and get the nurses laughing, it helps me somehow to make light of the mood. Keep us all posted, you'll do great! We have faith !...Tanya

Old 05-05-2004, 05:28 AM   #14
Veteran

Lia813 HB User

You are quite welcome ,Terri. You just think of that and say it in your head over and over and try to really believe that the angels are on all sides of you keeping an eye on things ! I agree with Tanya, that throat spray will allow you to swallow anything, you will not feel it at all. You are gonna be just fine . I know you are. Lia

Old 05-05-2004, 08:01 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: Endoscopy - How Are You Supposed to Swallow Tube if You're Asleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia813
Terri, if I can do it you can do it. I was terrified . My blood pressure was so high during it all because I was just scared to death. I have high BP anyway and was not allowed to take my meds for it that morning. I had versed and valium per IV and I was even scared of the needle so they used a pediatric needle with me. I can tell you that the meds did not put me to sleep. I was totally awake and never closed my eyes but I am hard to medicate . Pills that would knock out anybody else don't faze me, sleeping pills or valium and the like. I think I fight it actually . I remember everything , I was totally awake , but the numbing throat spray made it very easy. It did not hurt and I reflexively swallowed the tube with no problem. Even though I was awake the entire time and talked to the Dr right after , as he gave me my test results right away as I was not even woozy. I can tell you that it was easy. All my worry was for nothing. Even awake, with the throat numbing spray I did fine. What I did was say a Jewish Kaballa that a friend sent me over and over in my head during it and it helped me a lot . It is just a calling forth of the angels to watch over you. I would post it on here if I'm allowed to but I don't know . My endsocopy showed nothing wrong at all so I have another test ahead of me , a manometry and that one I dread as the tube goes thru the nose , down the throat and into the stomach , with no sedation at all. I do hope they use some spray , the spray is a life saver . Don't worry you will do just fine. I know that I was just as panicked as you are and I can tell you that it was not difficult , I would not be afraid to have the endoscopy again. Now this manometry , I don't know about that ! Lia

Hi lia - just read your post to terry. Just wanted to let you know that I had the manometry done, and it was not easy, but tolerable. You're right about no sedation - I even asked for some, and was told "no". The nurse or tech who does the procedure should coat the tube with lidocaine jelly so it continues to numb your nose & throat as it goes down. The worst part of it was having to lay flat (which I never did before with reflux), and only swallow when the nurse told me to. I wanted to reflexively swallow SO bad as I felt the tube enter my throat. I did also gag a little as it went past the nose and entered the pharyx, but fortunately, that sensation stopped fairly soon once the tube was farther down my throat. But since the nurse had to take certain measurements during the course of the tube, I was only supposed to swallow on command, which was hard to consciously control my swallow as I was drooling all over myself trying not to swallow.

I don't want to worsen your anxiety (because I can be a very anxious worrier about tests myself), but do want to be up front that I got through the procedure by thinking calming thoughts and focusing only on what the nurse wanted me to do, and trying not to think about the discomfort of that tube in my throat. So in other words, it's definitely not a procedure I want to go through again, but I made it through ok. You're in my thoughts/prayers.

Keep us posted,
Katie G

Closed Thread