It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2004, 11:45 AM   #1

terri48 HB User
"lump in throat" feeling and normal endoscopy, anyone?

I am having an endoscopy done this week because of acid reflux. My worst complaint for the past week is constant burping and feeling like there is a lump in my throat. I don't have acid coming into my throat because I have done all the right dietary things, raised my bed, etc. My question is: has anyone had this feeling and an endoscopy that was normal or some irritation but no Barrett's or strictures?

Old 05-04-2004, 12:12 PM   #2

luvmyboys HB User
Re: "lump in throat" feeling and normal endoscopy, anyone?

I have had 5 or 6 normal endoscopies for the same reasons you are having one. My lump feeling comes and goes and sometimes makes it feel like I'm going to throw up only without the nausea. I never notice it while I'm eating and can swallow fine. It is more noticeable when I am really hungry which I don't know if my stomach just gets real active then or if I get kind of anxious from feeling so hungry kind of like a low blood sugar thing. My scopes are always normal so it is attributed to anxiety and stress. I do take xanax and that helps a little bit. Sometimes it is so lumpy feeling or tight feeling that saliva actually builds up in my mouth and that drives me crazy. I have noticed though that it is always worse in the spring and fall when my allergies flare up. I also get a lot of drainage at those times and my other stomach problems get worse too. I take prevacid, but am weaning off of it and really notice no difference in the throat lump feeling. I am also on carafate for gastritis and excess bile salt in my stomach. I too burp a lot and sometimes feel so full and bloated and feel I will explode if I don't burp and those are the times when I have a hard time burping. It's crazy, I know, but I guess I have to live with it because there is nothing too terribly wrong with me according to the gastro docs. They do usually dialate my esophagus and that does give some relief for a while for the burping. Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2004, 01:28 PM   #3

hope2004 HB User

Did you see ENT doctor??? what did he/she say??? May I ask?

Old 05-04-2004, 01:49 PM   #4

Jon_Doe HB User

HI i was diagnosed with a esophageal ulcer. I too, right now swallow and feels like a lump or somehting is in there. Also when i brush my teth sometimes i feel like gagging. Like when i brush my mollers i want to gag and throw-up. Hard to explain. I take ranitidine, but also am trying prevacid, but seems like prevacid is really expensive compared to ranitindine, so i think im giong to stay on ranitidine, unless i am told prevacid is better.

When I dont eat for a while my stomach starts to really hurt. I read somethign today that says, if you have a ulcer and your stomach is empty, it cause a catabolic state and acidity levels rise. I didn't know that.

Oh yeah I burp a lot. My ulcer is very very small(size of white on fingertips), I had a barrium enema done. I digest food really slowly, and when i lay down it feels weird. I never heard about rasing my bed, but maybe mine is not at that bad of a level. My worst habbit is smoking pot, i dont really know how bad it is for my ulcer.

Closed Thread