It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2004, 09:24 AM   #1
Inactive

madara HB User
How long would take body return normal when stopping PPI?

I cant find this answer in any search engine it seems.
If you stopped taking PPIs, when could you expect your body to return to normal(normal acid production, etc)? Right away or does take awhile? If dosage and duration matter figure in someone with 8 years of PPIs and last two high dose of 80mg Nexium day.
Curious. thanks!

Old 05-09-2004, 10:17 AM   #2

terri48 HB User
Re: How long would take body return normal when stopping PPI?

Madara, you are taking an assumption that the body will return to normal. The condition of GERD doesn't go away because you stop PPI's. First of all, you should not just stop all of a sudden. Have you discussed this with your doctor? If the body just went back to normal, we would not need PPI's! There are reasons for our GERD, a weak lower esophageal muscle, and others. Please don't just stop your medication without consulting a GI doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2004, 10:35 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

i'm on the losec now for nearly 7 months and, still not ready to give it up..but, i read somewhere that PPI's give you big appetite and, cause dry mouths..

Old 05-12-2004, 01:27 PM   #4
(female)

nopizza HB User

I stopped taking my PPI about 2-1/2 weeks ago to try magnesium. I'd been taking Prevacid, Prilosec, Aciphex (in 2-4 week courses, not at the same time) for 7 months. When I quit without the magnesium about 3 months ago, the GERD came back with a vengeance & 2 days later I was back on the PPI's. This time with the magnesium, I have no discernable GERD symptoms. I'm leaving my bed up on blocks & not eating within 3 hours of lying down, but am eating some of the foods I'd previously given up. At my next physical in about 6 months I will bow to my doctor's wishes & agree to the EGD test to check for silent damage (I do have a hiatal hernia), but until then, I'm trying to stay off the PPI's. I do understand that if you have been taking them for a long time, as in your case 7 years, there would be a rebound effect, where even more acid would be produced. I didn't find that to be true, but perhaps you should ask your doctor.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:37 PM   #5

terri48 HB User

Nopizza...please tell me again which form of magnesium you're taking, dose and how many times a day. What brand? Also, how many inches did you elevate the head of your bed? I am using a 7 1/2" wedge but it is so uncomfortable. I am having an endoscopy tomorrow. Did you ever have one and if so, what did they find?

Old 05-12-2004, 01:50 PM   #6

newhere HB User

I've been on PPI's for almost 4 years now, including Nexium for 1.5 years. I cut my Nexium dose down to 20mg for 3 days, took Mg supplements, then stopped taking the Nexium all together.

Day 1 was fine, day 2 was not good, lots of stomach burning (this must be the rebound effect?) but I also ate the wrong thing that day; day 3 is today and I feel great!! I hope this keeps up. Considering that I have taken some form of PPI for 4 years now and I stopped almost cold turkey, I think it's going pretty well.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:55 PM   #7

terri48 HB User

To newhere: Please tell us all how many mg. you are taking a day, what brand and how many times a day. Also, what form of magnesium (it's on the bottle). Thanks so much.

Old 05-12-2004, 05:29 PM   #8

newhere HB User

Hi terri - they're called SISU, don't know if that means anything, 3 per day, and each capsule contains...okay this is confusing so I'll just write what it says. lol

Calcium Citrate (100mg elemental Ca) - 476mg
Magnesium Oxide (100mg elemental Mg) - 167mg
Vitamin D (cholcalciferol) - 100I.U.

My mom had to go to the health food store today and while she was there asked the nutritionist if there were any other things I should be on, and he gave me these digestive enzymes to take with each meal. He seemed very knowledgeable about GERD and said that if that didn't help in a month to come back, and he would give me more things to try. So I will let everyone know how these enzymes go!

Also, I remember Harry saying that Mg Oxide, Citrate, etc. weren't the right kinds to take, Harry can you confirm this? Why is this? Should I be on something different?
Thanks!

Old 05-13-2004, 08:55 AM   #9

bluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB User

Newhere, Magnesium Oxide is fine, Mag. Citrate however is mainly used as a laxative.

Old 05-13-2004, 04:41 PM   #10
(female)

nopizza HB User

Terri, just saw your question to me. I'm taking 300 mg of magnesium oxide at suppertime. It's Country Life brand, 1 capsule. With breakfast I was already getting 250 mg of magnesium oxide in my calcium supplement, 2 capsules. It's Solaray brand. I got both of these at my local health food store. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread