It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2004, 05:01 AM   #1

terri48 HB User
Is It Usual For Stomach To Have Redness Along With Esophagus from GERD?

I will get the results of the biopsies from my endoscopy soon. I was totally out of it when the dr. spoke to me but do remember him saying he sees some redness, or a little redness, just can't remember...in my esophagus and stomach. Why my stomach? I thought the stomach can tolerate acid. And I've been on Prevacid for 2 weeks and prior to that 8 weeks (which should have healed anything) after which I went off of it for 2 weeks and then back on for 2 weeks. With all that Prevacid and an acid-free diet, why is my stomach showing redness? Also, if anyone knows, do they usually test for h pylori from the biopsy?

Old 05-14-2004, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: Is It Usual For Stomach To Have Redness Along With Esophagus from GERD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri48
I will get the results of the biopsies from my endoscopy soon. I was totally out of it when the dr. spoke to me but do remember him saying he sees some redness, or a little redness, just can't remember...in my esophagus and stomach. Why my stomach? I thought the stomach can tolerate acid. And I've been on Prevacid for 2 weeks and prior to that 8 weeks (which should have healed anything) after which I went off of it for 2 weeks and then back on for 2 weeks. With all that Prevacid and an acid-free diet, why is my stomach showing redness? Also, if anyone knows, do they usually test for h pylori from the biopsy?

Hi again terri - I responded to your other post first. Anyway, the redness of the stomach could be long-standing so even use of PPIs may not relieve it. Yes, the stomach can tolerate acid (much better than the esophagus), but it can still become irritated from excessive acid. And yes, most docs will take biopsies to check for h pylori at the time of the endoscopy.

Keep us posted on your results,
Katie G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2004, 07:52 AM   #3

terri48 HB User
Re: Is It Usual For Stomach To Have Redness Along With Esophagus from GERD?

Thanks, Katie. I wish I had been more alert because now I am wondering what "redness" means. It cold mean erosions or no erosions. It could mean the redness that Barrett's causes, or just "irritation" redness. I won't call and bother him, I going to have to wait for results and this anxiety is so hard to deal with. They should wait until you're able to comprehend what they're saying. I don't even remember what I said going home, no less while I was in recovery. Redness could just mean irritation, right?

Old 05-14-2004, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran

Lia813 HB User
Re: Is It Usual For Stomach To Have Redness Along With Esophagus from GERD?

Try not to be scared Terri about the term " redness" , sounds like irritation to me. When I had my Barrium Swallow they saw and I saw myself a large ulceration or mass. That is what they called it. My Dr scheduled the endoscopy and you and I have talked about that before. I had the endoscopy on 2/24 figuring I had something really dread, when they said the word mass !! The endoscopy showed NOTHING. No mass, no ulceration , no irritation , nothing to biopsy even. Don't ask me where it went! I am very thankful but today I still have all the very same pain I had starting Jan. 1 so after all the PPI's and H2 Blockers and magnesium and change of diet , etc. I am not done. The manometry will be next. I'll be fit to be tied as soon as that is scheduled and on here seeking comfort I am sure ! Let us know your results. We just all help each other the best we can. Lia

Closed Thread