It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 04:49 PM   #1
(female)

maggiecttr HB User
Natural Remedies for Slow Digestion?

Lately, I still have my esophageal flutters, but now slow digestion seems to be coming into the picture. I am on no prescription meds, though I was on Nexium for 40 days and stopped taking it about 3 1/2 weeks ago. Not every meal is slow to digest, and I take enzymes and ginger. etc. I even try to increase stomach acid with vinegary salad dressing or with 1/2 of an HCL-containing enzyme. But sometimes, aftrer a 500 or 600-calorie meal, I feel really full. Not much appetite ever, either. I dread the thought of Reglan. Any other natural things I should try ?

THanks,
Maggie C.

Old 05-25-2004, 10:39 PM   #2
(female)

lu55 HB User
Re: Natural Remedies for Slow Digestion?

Maggie,

I have similar problems. What digestive enzymes are you taking? I tried several brands before I found one that worked (Standard Process [brand name] Okra Pepsin E3). However, my doc put me on a prescription digestive enzyme, Creon 5 (they also make Creon 10). They work better than the Okra Pepsin and my insurance pays for most of the prescription. And enzymes w/ HCL never worked for me; in fact, they gave me heartburn. Also, how are you taking the ginger? I find it works best for me in tea. I also found that the kind of vinegar made a difference. I drink (1 tsp. in a cup of water) apple cider vinegar from the health food store (the kind w/ all the good enzymes).

These are the things that have truly worked for me and I hope you find them helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2004, 07:13 AM   #3
(female)

maggiecttr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu55
Maggie,
Also, how are you taking the ginger? I find it works best for me in tea. I also found that the kind of vinegar made a difference. I drink (1 tsp. in a cup of water) apple cider vinegar from the health food store (the kind w/ all the good enzymes).

These are the things that have truly worked for me and I hope you find them helpful.
Thanks for your reply! I use drugstore-type enzymes---nothing too elaborate. I think mine just has the basics---no cellulase, e.g., which is one I likely need. I use ginger tea & capsules, but will just go with the tea, I think. I use balsamic vinegar, but can switch to apple cider (Heinz brand is what I have in the house). Is health-food store apple cider vinegar better? When do you take it? Before a meal?

THanks, Lu!
Maggie C.

Old 05-26-2004, 12:05 PM   #4
Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Maggie, my chiropractor ,whom I see for a back problem ,told me to drink one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar 20 minutes before each meal for my esophageal spasms and to aid in digestion. I use Heinz. No health food store around here. I can't say that it has helped but I have only done it a few days. I have been on PPI's since Jan. 15 and have begun to improve some , only within the last couple of weeks. Lia

Old 05-26-2004, 09:09 PM   #5

hope2004 HB User

maggiecttr did you take Reglan?? is it work for you??? My doctor want me to take Reglan for my slow digestion but I am so affraid of terrible side effect

Old 05-26-2004, 11:13 PM   #6
(female)

lu55 HB User

Maggie,

supposedly the health food store apple cider vinegar is better because it has enzymes in it (or rather the enzymes are not processed out). The brand I use is Spectrum's (spelling?) but I have also used the brand, Bragg's. I take drink it in the a.m and the p.m. not necessarily before meals. It has really helped my digestion. But the Heinz may also work--I never tried it.

I love the ginger tea. I have never tried the capsules but find that when my stomach feels exta bad, I need the tea.

I think it would benefit you greatly if you tried some good digestive enzymes. Because all of this can get rather expensive, you may want to try the vinegar and ginger tea remedy. Then I'd add the digestive enzymes.

Hope this helps, Lu

Old 05-28-2004, 06:32 AM   #7

CassV HB User

Yes, vinegar is excellent and I take two enzyme products which have turned around and reversed my acid reflux without prescription drugs. I never eat three hours before going to bed as I find that helps digestion also.

Old 05-28-2004, 07:27 AM   #8

worryworttx HB User

what exactly are esophogeaul flutters? I always feel that my stomache is extremely bloated and my throat feels full. I also get flutters and I truely think that they are related to my acid reflux and gerd rather than my heart. Can you take enzyems with Xanax and Zoloft. I do not take medication other than rolaids for my stomache problems. I am trying to quit smoking and really want to heal my stomache and esopgas problems natuarlly. Any suggestions?
Bec

Old 05-29-2004, 11:21 AM   #9
(female)

maggiecttr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu55
Maggie,

I think it would benefit you greatly if you tried some good digestive enzymes. Because all of this can get rather expensive, you may want to try the vinegar and ginger tea remedy. Then I'd add the digestive enzymes.

Hope this helps, Lu
Hi, Lu & others: I do take digestive enzymes before my meals, yes. THe othe rday, I was feeling really full after lunch & chewed some fresh ginger root. It helped me feel less full within minutes & I was able to burp out some stomach gas. I think the reason I feel full after meals is that I get a big gas blob in my upper stomach. Massage seems to help a bit. No--I never tried Reglan--afraid to! Thanks for your messages!
Maggie C.

Old 05-29-2004, 02:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Question Re: Natural Remedies for Slow Digestion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassV
Yes, vinegar is excellent and I take two enzyme products which have turned around and reversed my acid reflux without prescription drugs. I never eat three hours before going to bed as I find that helps digestion also.

CassV--

Could you please tell me what the digestive enzymes are called? Brand? When do you take them, before meals? And the vinegar, when do you take that, and how much? The prescriptions and OTC drugs for GERD just aren't helping any longer.
Thank you...
DEDA

Old 05-29-2004, 06:30 PM   #11
(female)

jossr HB User

I have been taking reglan with two Prevacids 2x a day since March. I take a 10 mg and cut it in half and take it with the Prevacid in the a.m. and the p.m. before dinner. When I was taking 10 mg twice a day, I was a zombie. However, as much as I didn't want to take the Reglan, I have not had any side effects. I have GERD and a nonfunctioning GB. My GI says to stay on the meds at least until I have my GB out. To tell you the truth, I don't know whether the pains come from the GB or the GERD. I try to stay on a low fat diet; however when I go out to restaurants, I request no fat, or butter, but some how they manage to give me something with more fat than I can tolerate. The next day, or the same day, I have watery diareha. My digestion is slow or fast; I don't know what going on half of the time.

Last edited by jossr; 05-29-2004 at 06:32 PM.

Old 05-30-2004, 06:45 AM   #12

deb0033 HB User

Hope2004, I am currently taking Metroclopramide (Reglan). It does cause me extreme fatigue. What other side effects is it known for?
thanks!

Old 06-01-2004, 09:23 AM   #13
(male)

jerbear HB User

Hi all.
I suffer from gastroparesis or delayed stomach emptying and have tried reglan which I could not take because of the extreme fatigue. I am currently on domperidone, 20 mg's 3 times per day before meals. Yes, there are horror stories about domperidone but to be honest, there are horror stories for just about any prescription drug out there. It works for me and I know of several others from the US, here in Canada and the UK who I communicate with on a gastroparesis board who take it and have been for quite some time. It sure beats Reglan's side effects. I also take Natural Choice probiotics and digestive enzymes and go to an alergy clinic for these treatments. Check out the link and then ask your local naturapathic clinics if they do it. It has really helped my slow digestion.
http://www.naet.com/
I have had a laproscopic Nissen fundo for my GERD, I have had 2 dilations of the surgery to relieve esophageal spasms, and I have had my pyloric sphincter at the duodenum dilated to help relieve the slow emptying. This NAET treatments help me the best of all.
Jerbear

Closed Thread