It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 09:23 PM   #1

acissej_1987 HB User
Question How do you slow down the digestive tract?

I keep reading threads about people having to take Reglan? because they digest food too slow and want to speed it up... Well, I think one of my main problems is that I can eat a bowl of cereal and five minutes later I can hear my stomach make these reallyloud noises and i immediately feel bad and have to go to the bathroom...any suggestions or information on how to slow down the digestive tract after eating would be GREATLY accepted!!
Thanks to all those who actually took time to readthe thread and reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2004, 09:36 PM   #2

Summer33 HB User
Re: How do you slow down the digestive tract?

The digestion process is controlled by many factors, the stomach is basically a holding tank for the duoduom (between stomach and sm intestine) and the small intestine. If a ton of food enters the stomach from the esophagus then it is stimulated mostly by what the duoduom can handle. The duoduom makes sure that to much stuff doesn't pass into the small intestine otherwise there isn't enough enzymes to digest all of the chyme (food in the stomach) and Dumping Syndrome occurs which basically stimulates vomiting (which is what happens when you have you stomach stapled and you eat to much).
There is absolutely no way to stimulate slower digestion. If you want to digest food slower then you need to eat slower. If you eat small portions every once in a while then you are basically simulating the job of the stomach and that amount of food will pass through the duoduom to the small intestine for reabsorption and other processing. If you just eat normal amounts of food then it's going to stimulate peristaltic waves in the stomach in response to the food which will mix the food and send small amounts to the duoduom to be processed.
If you feel that food is being processed to fast that means that you are not eating enough to keep your stomach and small intestines busy so the food is being immediately sent to the duoduom because basically it's saying to the stomach "i have nothing to do so send it my way".
If you immediately have to go to the bathroom afterwards indicates diarrhea that means your small intestine is not absorbing any of the nutrients it needs because it's moving to fast through your intestines so you might be severly malnourished. You should check with your md.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2004, 11:59 AM   #3
(female)

Tasha2003 HB User
Re: How do you slow down the digestive tract?

My friend has the same problem. In fact, the other night we took her out to dinner and she instantly (no more than thirty minues after the meal) had problems. Severe ones too.
I suggested Calcium to her, but dont know if it will help.

Closed Thread