It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 09:16 AM   #1
Inactive

Christina5126 HB User
I burp a lot and acid comes up to my mouth

What is this? I burp a lot and acid comes up to my mouth and it feels like my mouth is on fire. After I eat my food the food comes back up to my mouth and then I spit it out. Do I have an ulcer? Was on Protonix for acid reflux and that only helped get rid of the lump in my throat. Dont know?

Old 06-01-2004, 06:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Re: I burp a lot and acid comes up to my mouth

How ofter does the acid come up in your mouth?Do you have any kind of burning gnawing like pain in your stomach?If not could just be acid reflux.You might want to switch to a different med if protonix isnt working for you.Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
(female)

Quencher HB User

Christina, I experience the same problem. Only, the food comes out probably once every month or so? It's been like this since January. It doesn't hurt, but sometimes I find it hard to-- breath, so to speak? And I can hear the upper part of my stomach (or maybe it's the lower part of the esophagus??) gargle/grumble, in a way--loudly. And I constantly need to let air out. Do you have this too?

Suzy-
How is acid reflux treated? And if it ISN'T treated, what harm might that do to your body in the future, if any? Is it possible for it to go away on it's own? Is it serious?

Old 06-01-2004, 08:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Talking Re: I burp a lot and acid comes up to my mouth

If its occasional heartburn otc antiacids will usually work ok.If its everyday you might have to get a prescription acid suppressor.If that doesnt help than you'll probably need a proton pump inhibitor.If its and everyday occurance it can damage your esophagus and maybe in the long run cause throat cancer.Long term acid reflux can cause barretts ,and ulcer ,or gastritis.You have to be tested to find out the cause so they can decide what treatment is right for you.Take care.

Old 06-01-2004, 08:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Ps. sometimes the symptoms can be controlled thru diet,but the cause wont go away.There is a condition called silent gerd where you wont have the usual symptoms of gerd but you can still be causing damage to your esophagus.There are some ppl on this board for instance who just have a lump in their throat or problems swallowing,and no heartburn.There are some ppl who reflux in their sleep.Yes it can be serious if not treated in a timely manner.

Old 06-03-2004, 02:28 PM   #6
Inactive

Christina5126 HB User

Quencher, hi yes i can hear my own stomache gargle too. Whats wrong with us? and my acid comes up like everyday, but food comes up once in awhile. I burp constantly, but dont have any heartburn. Never had heartburn, so I dont know what it is. I get little bit of pain in my stomache. that radiates to my left side. I changed my diet. I stay away from fatty foods and eat a lot of salads now and fish and turkey and chicken. STAY AWAY FROM CITRIC ACIDY foods!!! This is what will cause you to burp. The doctor wanted me to get a colonoscopy and an endoscopy but im to scared Im only 20. I hope nothing severe will happen to me.

Old 06-03-2004, 02:30 PM   #7
(female)

Quencher HB User
Lightbulb Re: I burp a lot and acid comes up to my mouth

Wow, you just described me!! Only, I don't get a lot of stomach pain. Just a bloated stomach? (But that's probably from my frequent bingeing).

You said you changed your diet. Has this helped you in any way? Is there a name for this? A pill to take? A cure?

Last edited by moderator4; 06-03-2004 at 09:54 PM. Reason: quote not needed.

Old 06-03-2004, 02:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Its acid reflux .Best to get that endoscopy ,you dont want to leave it unchecked and get barretts or throat cancer.

Old 06-03-2004, 02:34 PM   #9
(female)

Quencher HB User

Thanks, Suzy. But forgive me for being dumb, what is an endoscopy?

Also, what would you say is the typical age-range for this? Can it happen to anyone at any age? What causes it? (Other than acidic foods)

Old 06-03-2004, 02:34 PM   #10
Inactive

Christina5126 HB User

Suzy, hey girl whats up? nothing here. no i dont have heartburn at all never had that, so I dont know whats wrong with me???? I get pain in my stomach occasionally that radiates to my left side. I even get back pains too. I do get constipation too. One thing to stay away from is CITRIC ACID!!! YOU have to read labels on things and avoid citric acid foods. Everything ORGANIC IS GREAT FOR THE BODY!!! LATELY i have been changing my diet, fish, chicken, calamari(Means octupus) turkey all on wheat or rye bread. EAT SALADS A LOT!!! Im too scared to get a endoscopy done and a colonscopy done. Im only 20, but take psychiatric meds. this could be causing me problems, because the meds caused me other problems already. Do you get acid problems as well??? Take care!!!

Old 06-03-2004, 02:41 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Endoscopy is a thin tube with a camera in it that they put down your throat to look to see if theres anything wrong with you stomach and throat.I first had an endoscopy done in my early 20s.Yes it can happen at any age.The cause is a weak muscle in the esophagus.Where your stomach and esophagus are attached there is a small flap that keeps the stomach acid and contents from rising up into your esophagus.When its weak and not functioning correctly it doesnt close properly and allows acid to travel up your esophagus and out your mouth.Hope this helps .Take care

Old 06-03-2004, 03:02 PM   #12
Inactive

Christina5126 HB User

Suzy, can you take an endoscopy without any knock out drugs. Im on psychiatric meds. so I worry that they might interfere. Can you take the test naturally? Is there another way they can look at your throat or stomach.

Old 06-03-2004, 03:04 PM   #13
Inactive

Christina5126 HB User

Quencher, I dont think that diet really helps a lot. My grandpa said that it does, but I dont think so, because even when I diet. I still burp a lot. I wish I can get some help. I guess I will pray to god for the answer.

Old 06-03-2004, 05:19 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Smile Re: I burp a lot and acid comes up to my mouth

Yes some places will do it without the sedative,before you have it done you should call the place and tell them what meds you are on.I will tell you from the ppl ive heard from some say it can be a very uncomfortable procedure without the sedative.So your best bet would be to check it out.I was on prevacid ,zocor ,and iron supplements and i had no problem.

Old 06-03-2004, 05:21 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Ps. as for other tests yes there are some tests but they are not as definitive as an endoscopy.If you really want to be sure of whats going on inside the endoscopy is the way to go.

Closed Thread