It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2004, 08:05 PM   #1

froggdogg76 HB User
Question Pain, bloating, and green stool . . .

Hoping someone can give me some advice here (sorry it's kinda long) . . .

A couple of months ago I saw the doctor for my yearly physical (a new doctor since I had to change insurance). I mentioned to him the abdominal pain and bloating that I had been having for a few weeks. The pain occurs in my upper left abdomen, right next to my ribs. The pain is a dull aching pain that gets worse when you press on it. When the pain comes my upper and lower abdomen bloat badly. This usually happens after a meal (not every meal, about 4 - 5 times a week) but I cannot seem to pick out a certain food or foods that may be causing the pain and bloating. At the time my bowel movements were not regular either so I started taking Benefiber which did not really help.

He told me that it is most likely IBS (even though no tests have ever been run except for bloodwork) and prescribed Bentyl to minimize the pain. Well, the meds really have not been working. Then, last Sunday, I noticed that my stools were very green. Thinking it was something that I ate, I ignored it. Well, I have had the green stool now for a week and a half and my bowel movements have become regular in that time (1 or 2 a day, all formed, no diarrhea). I have not been eating more green vegetables than usual, no highly colored foods either (Kool Aid, grape juice, etc.). Also, I do not take an iron supplement and I have not changed meds or eating habits.

So now my questions . . .

1) Has anyone here had any of these types of problems or could give me any suggestions?

2) Should I contact the doctor regarding the green stool (I've had it happen before but not for this long, only a few days)?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help.

-T-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2004, 09:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Pain, bloating, and green stool . . .

T,
The green stools are usually caused by your gallbladder putting out too much green bile. It does that mostly with fatty or foods that make too much bile?? Blander foods help.

Bloating is usually caused by your intestinal good friendly bacteria getting out of balance and messing up your digestion.

Try eating yogurt several times daily and take a probiotic supplement twice daily to re-balance the intestinal flora. The pressing on the area that causes pain is usually trapped GAS--- caused by fermentation or swallowing air??
There is a good site in the Info Archives at the top of this page about Controlling Gas.

God Bless--- Harry

Old 06-30-2004, 08:53 AM   #3

Rhita_in_SC HB User
Re: Pain, bloating, and green stool . . .

When I have pain, bloating, and green stool, my doctor told me that it is because there is something viral going on in my body...

I don't have a gall bladder...so that is not causing it.

It general works its course and gets back to normal.

Closed Thread