It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
(male)

mrmusicman79 HB User
Suggested Regimen for Mastic Gum Treatment

Well after weeks of searching local drug/herb stores in vain, I'm soon going to dust off my credit card and order some Mastic gum from the Vitamine Shoppe. It was suggested to me in a previous thread, that a treatment of Mastic gum and magnesium/calcium supplement is what I need to "cure" my chronic gastritis, which has sucked away my quality of life for the last 10 years. It really sounds too good to be true (after so many years of letdowns) but at this point I have nothing to lose. I have only a few simple questions before I start any treatment:
1. Assuming the Mastic gum capsules are 500mg, how many am I supposed to take per day and when? Most MG manufacturers suggest taking the capcules either between meals or one hour before breakfast. Both of these options would be quite inconvient, and I'd much rather take the capsules with a meal.
2. How long would I have to continue taking the MG?
3. Should I stop taking my PPI's (Prevacid) when I start the MG?
4. What suggested dosage of calcium and/or magnesium supplement do you suggest?
5. Any side effects to be concerned about?
6. Just what are the chances of this working anyway??
You folks have been quite helpful so far, so I'll trust you to put my mind at ease once again. I just want so much to be better, but at this point I've all but lost hope.
Thanks for any advice.

Old 07-14-2004, 07:01 AM   #2
(male)

mrmusicman79 HB User
Re: Suggested Regimen for Mastic Gum Treatment

Just bringing this thread back to the top of the list, as this seems to have been overlooked. I would greatly appreciate a reply, as I have put this idea on hold pending receiving some advice. I just don't want to proceed with this until someone can put my fears at ease. I know you're back Harry, if even you could give me a brief reply that would be great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 06:54 AM   #3

TALIN HB User
Angry Re: Suggested Regimen for Mastic Gum Treatment

Hey MusicMan,
I"m new to these boards and H. Pylori brought me LOL. I think that I have had it for the past 8 years I am 20 now and about 8 years ago I had many of the same symptoms. I underwent several test but not the breath test. The doctor counldn't figure out what is was but I lost 35 pounds in the process bottoming out to about 105 pounds. It subsided for the next 8 years however I would get bouts of nausea and unexplained reflux about once or twice every month. Recently I had severe acid reflux and went to the emergency room on my birthday thinking it was my tonsils. She gave me some cocktail and it worked for the night. About two days later the reflux returned. I'm fairly young to have such a bothersome problem so my mother gave me some of her Ranitidine to take since she has bad reflux. Well it worked about a day then the reflux returned. So fed up I went to the family doctor and he did the PYP breath test. What do you know. It came back very positive. The normal concentraion is supposed to be 50 and mine came back 1440. I also had a bladder infection because of the reduced appetite and acid amounts in my stomach. He prescribed me PrevPac and another antibiotic for the Bladder infection. I must admit I have not taken a pill of that because I'm already taking the 8 pills daily. After about a week of taking the medication I still had reflux feelings. I'm alreadey fairl small. I used to be 125 pounds (took 8 years to finally gain) but because of the lost appetite I'm 115 and still losing weight like before .I went and bought Mastica Gum from a health food store. I have not taken it yet, but I finish PrePac in two days. The past two day I've had diarreah and cant keep anything in. I've had lower back pains, maybe because of the bladder infection.This morning I woke up feeling very full and no appetite so I dont know how the PrevPac is working. I have another appointment on monday to see if it has been eradicated. I dont know what to do. I'm so young and I have a feeling antibiotics aren't going to cure this thing. Have you started the Mastica Gum because that is my next option most likely. Someone please reply to his questions because it loks like they will be applying to me in th near future.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:21 AM   #4
(male)

mrmusicman79 HB User

You're about where I was a couple of years ago. Severe reflux, unable to eat much, and so on. Today Prevacid keeps my reflux at arms length, but I still have too many problems to start eating again. I'm about 5'11" tall and I too weight only about 115 lbs.
No I haven't ordered the Mastic gum yet, as I've been waiting for someone to give me advice on the MG treatment. I'd appreciate some advice from someone who's taken it, as I'm rather apprehensive about things I've never taken before.
Bowel upset is a pretty common side effect of the Prevpac, it's caused mainly by the antibiotics messing up the balance of "good bacteria" in your system. It's strongly recommended that you take a probiotic supplment (such as lactobactillus) during the treatment and for several weeks afterward, to get things back to normal.
Good luck with the Prevpac, and keep me informed of your progress.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hi Mrmusic,
I am not a doctor just a retired Electrical Engineer. I have found no one including doctors have all the answers.

I have post on the other thread what problems I think you have and how to cure them!!
I was cured of gastritis using Mastica in two weeks taking 2 --500mgm caps twice daily on an empty stomach between meals. My doctor also told me to take a probiotic supplement along with the Mastica. You can take it with a PPI. No side-effects that I know of--- you will know how long to take it by how you feel.

The dose of Calcium and Magnesium is needed to help your muscles including Gastro muscles work properly without cramping and spasms. I have found that taking this supplement in divided doses helps absorption of these minerals as well as all minerals. I use the chelated type that is bonded to an amino acid(protein-- gylcine and lysine)-- because I think your body absorbs it better. It is a smaller particle that get through your intestine walls more readily to the blood and to the cell but 67 percent of magnesium is use in the bones for strength. Just take the RDA-- 1000mgms calcium and 400mgms of magnesium -- also 400IU of Vit D help with the absorption of calcium. You need these anyway to prevent get osteoperous.

YOU should also eat more fiber in your diet-- 25 to 35 grams daily to get regular BMs w/o straining.

I wish you well---Harry

PS --- I read this board most days since 10/1999 and I just give suggestions about my experiences --- if you are not intersted in taking Mastica then don't. I donot like to repeat meassages basically because I am a very slow typist and it takes me too much time. I told you all this in the other thread.

Also,-- the reason that you should want to get well is not so you can eat cakes, pies and chocolate-- it is so you can eat a healthy diet and live a quality healthier LIFE. I know because I have been there --- I am no spring chicken.

Old 07-16-2004, 07:03 AM   #6
(male)

mrmusicman79 HB User

Well Harry I realize you aren't a doctor and that nobody has all the answers, but you've given a lot of good advice to people here over the years and I greatly value your opinion. As for the comment about just wanting to be better so I can eat junk food, this isn't really the case; I mainly would just like to have my life back so I could function normally and do things. But I certainly would like to be able to eat sweets at least occasionally, instead of having to be tortured by watching everyone else stuff their faces. My grandmother, bless her soul, is almost 90 years old and bakes some of the best pies and pastries you could ask for. I haven't been able to eat any of her goodies for years, and it's a real downer because I've always loved her cooking and she loves to cook for her family.
I will try to order some Mastic gum next week. As for when to take it - why can't it be taken at the start of a meal? I'm afraid that taking it between meals will cause upset to my already-peculiar and hyper-sensitive digestive system. As I said before, I'm so scared of trying new things.
Also, it may sound strange, but in a way I'm almost afraid of being cured. I've lived like this for so long, and it's become such an integral part of my life, that I really don't know how I'd adjust to normal life again. It would be kind of like being let out of prison after 40 or 50 years of solitary confinement.
Thanks for the advice, I will consider all my options at this point and go from there. Hopefully the next time you hear from me it will be under happier circumstances.

Old 07-16-2004, 11:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Mr Music,
Most of us have problems with taking something new and not in in main stream of medicine.

I usually get gastritis( inflamation of the stomach lining) to some degree after take almost any antibiotic and also get a candida/yeast infection. But now I treat it with Mastica and a probiotic supplement and if bad I take an OTC anti-yeast remedy.

About 4 years ago I took the ulcer treatment very much like you and had gastritis after the ulcer healed. An endoscopic exam verified that the ulcer was cured and I had several red inflammed areas in the stomach that the doctor took photos of and I was put on Aciphex and an given an appointment for an endo exam 6 months later. The Aciphex did nothing that I could tell so I switched to Prilosec and took it for several months with no change in symptoms.

I went to an Alernative Care MD that treated Environmental Patients and Allergies because I just felt bad with no energy and eating normal food was a problem. The first appointment was 3 hours long and a Nurse took my complete life medical history for 2 hours and the Doctor saw and examined me for 1 hour. This was about 3 weeks before the Endo exam. They wanted me to go to lunch then meet with the consulting nurse afer lunch and go over the Doctor's program-- I felt so bad I came home and went to bed after a small lunch.

I met 2 days later with the nurse and went over the Doctor's program. It was 3 pages of instructions including a diet that was low carb sort of bland diet. The Doctor put me on Nystatin (4X daily) for a candida/ yeast infection, 2 Lipotropic Complex (a sort of digestive enzyme) caps with each meal, and 2 probiotic supplement capsules daily and 2-500mgm Mastica Caps to be taken between meals. All of these were sold to me by his office. I now buy them online at alot better price.

It just so happened that I had the Endoscope exam 2 weeks after starting this program. The Gastro Doctor never knew I went to the other doctor but the exam showed that the inflammed stomach areas were OK -- with no red areas and he said I was OK and he would see in 10 years for another exam.

I just have always taken the Mastica mid morning and mid afternoon. Also, that is the directions on the bottle.

God Bless--- Harry

Last edited by Harry; 07-16-2004 at 12:06 PM.

Closed Thread