It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2004, 04:25 PM   #1
(male)

canadave HB User
yeast causing intense stomach cramps??

Hi all,

Strangest thing happened to me and my wife the other day, and I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this.

I make homemade pizza. My wife took a slice of my pizza to work with her the other day for lunch; that evening, when she came home, she had pretty intense stomach cramping--she was in a lot of pain. By the next day, she was fine.

Two days later, I made another batch of pizza. She had two slices of it this time. Two hours later, she was in agony. The stomach cramping pain was severe enough (she described it as a "6" on a scale from 1 to 10) that when she called a healthlink phone number and spoke to a nurse, the nurse told her to go to the emergency room.

We had to wait so long in the emergency room that after an hour or so, she felt well enough to go home. Even so, her stomach was giving her cramping pain for the rest of the night, and into the next day somewhat.

We both figured, obviously, it's something to do with the pizza. We decided it was probably because of the new type of cheese I was using, since this was the first time I had used this particular brand of mozzarella cheese to make pizza.

Well, I made another batch of pizza yesterday. Fearing that she'd get pains from it, she ate just a little bit of the crust. No sauce, no cheese. And the same thing happened! An hour later, she started feeling severe stomach cramps.

OK. So we're now thinking it must have something to do with the dough, which had nothing but water, flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in it. I was also using a new type of yeast she'd never had before....an instant-acting yeast from Bakipan.

So, now that you have all the background info, my question is--is it unusual to have a severe stomach cramping and pain reaction to *yeast in dough*?? I've never heard of that. Is there anything she can do to alleviate it or prevent it? She treated her cramps by using Kaopectate, and that seemed to help a little bit...but she likes how my pizza tastes so much, she wants to eat it without having cramps afterward!

Any info would be appreciated.....thanks!

Dave

Last edited by canadave; 07-13-2004 at 04:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2004, 08:47 PM   #2

PETALS HB User
Unhappy Re: yeast causing intense stomach cramps??

Does she handle other doughs better. Wheat or other kinds of breads. I was diagniosed w/celiac disease.(allergic to wheat and gluten). I don't have pain because of it thou. My symtoms were anemiea. The upper scope found it. Since I'm off wheat etc, my stomach is not as bloated and stuffy feeling. But stomach pain is a symtom of CD. I'm not saying this is her problem, but its something to think about. Check it out w/your docs.hope this helps
Petals

Old 08-07-2004, 07:30 AM   #3
(female)

crowgirl HB User
Re: yeast causing intense stomach cramps??

It's definitely possible to be allergic or sensitive to yeast, or just to one particular brand of it. Have you tried making a batch of pizza again with the kind of yeast you used before the Bakipan stuff? Use exactly the same ingredients, except for the yeast. If your wife has no cramps after that, you've found the culprit.

All the best!

Closed Thread