It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2004, 04:07 PM   #1

savanna HB User
Diagnosed IBS, have no IBS symtoms

Well, i went through with the colonoscopy for very severe right side pain after all other tests came back normal. I had just been conked out with the nice drugs they give you when the scope hit my right side. The pain was enough to wake me out of my trance. During the entire procedure the pain on my right side from the scope moving through it was unbearable until they gave me another dose of the demerol to shut me up. The doctor said that he didnt see anything abnormal, but diagnosed me with IBS, since the colonoscopy was so painful. I guess patients with ibs dont handle the procedure well. Im just confused becuase other then that, i dont have any ibs symptoms. My side used to only hurt after i eat fatty food, but for the past month, it hurts severly all the time. It doenst feel better after i use the bathroom, and i very rarely get constipated or diahrea (which i think are all symtoms of ibs). But i have to admit, the meds he put me on for it really do seem to help. i have a dull ache in my right side all the time, but i can live with that, it is not the debilatating pain it used to be. Anybody have any opinions? Anybody with ibs have severe, but very localized pain?

Old 07-16-2004, 06:09 AM   #2
(female)

abcsoup HB User
Re: Diagnosed IBS, have no IBS symtoms

Oh do I feel your frustration! I've had lower right quadrant pain for over a year and a half now, it can act up for a few months, then be fine for a few months. This new flare I'm in has lasted 3 weeks thus far. I've been thru CT scans, abdominal ultrasounds, pelvic ultrasounds, upper GI with small bowel follow through, and still no one finds anything. When my pain is severe enough, it can double me over, or I have to go and lay down. The pain can come and go and is usually sharp and stabbing, although it can be a good ache too. Advil and Tylenol don't do a thing. I also had a diagnostic pelvic laparoscopy when I had my gallbladder out 2 months ago. My ob/gyn said my pelvic had textbook pictures of perfect pelvic organs, including my appendix. I saw the pictures, and I have to agree. I saw my GI dr. last week and he said the only thing we haven't looked at is my colon, so he scheduled me for a colonoscopy which I'm completely terrified about! In the meantime, he gave me a prescription for Bentyl to try. I haven't filled it yet, maybe I will today. I hope you find some answers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2004, 09:01 AM   #3

PTS100 HB User

Don't be scared of the colonoscopy... The worst part is the preparation where you have to starve and then take laxatives to clear everything out. They should knock you out pretty good... My GI said it is VERY rare for anyone to wake up during the procedure.

Old 07-25-2004, 03:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Gosh i hope you guys arent having the same problem im experiencing.For going on 16 months now ive been having a gnawing like pain under my right breast where the bone is.Its usually like an ache thats there all the time and will sometimes intensify and then die back down to a dull ache.Ive been thru numerous tests and still no answer.It started intermittently.Then progressed to the pain being there 24/7.This coming tuesday im going to have and endoscopy for the 3rd time.If this test doesnt show something im out of tests and luck.I hope you guys find out whats wrong .Nobody should have to live with this kind of pain,i could at least understand it if it was a terminal disease.I just hope for your sakes its not the problem im having .Cause if it is your going to need all the luck and prayers you can get .Take care.Keep posting.

Old 07-29-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

Good luck! I've been having upper right pain now for 14 months and still don't know what it is. have had a bunch of tests and I am told that it's IBS. However, the pain never goes away which I don't attribute as being IBS. The last few weeks have been worse than usual so I have a call in with my doctor requesting for the abdominal MRI. I'm sure he will want to see me before he schedules anything. Take care!

Old 07-29-2004, 04:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Good luck actudan with getting that test.At least my doctor isnt afraid to run thru every test in the book.Hey i got you beat for the length of the pain were both having, im going on 16 months now .Take care.

Old 08-21-2004, 10:08 AM   #7

Annette43 HB User

Hello I had the colonoscope,MRI, CAT scan,ultrasound and x-rays. The doctor told me I had irritable bowel. I have the pain on my right side and my stomach gurgles and makes other noise. Then I go from diahrea to constipation. My insides are a mess. I thik alot of is all the different meds they got me on. I recently quit the neurontin because I didn't have the money for the refill, and my stomach has really been messed up, my doctor told me to get them refilled, that I shouldn't have quit them all at once, but what can you do when you don't have the money for the refill, tell the drug store your pay them when you get the money? Well I hope all of us find the answers we need to help us. Annette

Closed Thread