It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2004, 08:35 PM   #1
(female)

Kaycee41 HB User
? for all of you who have had gb surgery...

My husband is having his gall bladder removed on 8/11. A friend of his just had his removed last week. He had to drink bottles of liquid to "clean him out" the day before the surgery. We asked the receptionist who called to set up my husbands surgery what he needed to do the night before. She said no food/water after midnight....that's it. I was just wondering what most doctors require pre-op. It just seems like they would want to do an enema or something to empty you out before removing the gall-bladder. What did you have to do before surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2004, 10:03 PM   #2

fear of surgery HB User
Re: ? for all of you who have had gb surgery...

Good question!!! I, too, just was told no food or liquid after midnight before surgery day. How I WISHED I had gotten "cleaned out" beforehand!!!!! I thought they might do that at the hospital, before the surgery, but they did not. Even if a doctor doesn't recommend it, I would do that if I had the opportunity.

Why? Because after surgery your system is totally blocked up due to all the drugs, etc. It took me TWO FULL WEEKS to get UNblocked and it wasn't pleasant. I was afraid to use a laxative because of cramping and pain from incisions being worsened, so finally used prune juice which acted almost exactly like a laxative. I was up half the night. But...the good part is that finally I was getting back on track after that. Once the, ahem, "blockage" cleared, I could start all over.

All of that could've been avoided had I had a clean start to begin with (empty intestines) after the surgery. Then I could've started out eating light and gradually introduced my regular foods and not felt so horribly bloated and blocked.

My vote is for a pre-surgical "clean-out" -- no question about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2004, 10:49 AM   #3

masonpips HB User

My surgery was scheduled for 1:40 on Monday. I couldn't have anything to eat after midnight Sunday. I was able to have clear liquids (black coffee, even jello) up until 3 hours beforehand.

I was having major stomach issues prior to the surgery so I don't think there was much in my system and I've eaten very little since the surgery. The dr. put me on sennacal (sp?) 1 tablet twice a day for a week to keep things moving and I feel fine, no bloating or blockage.

I would suggest he eat lightly the days before (easy to digest foods, maybe a lot of soups?) and then ask the doctor about a laxative and go from there.

Old 07-29-2004, 08:39 AM   #4

san HB User

That is a good question :-) I am having mine removed on 8\13 and was told the same thing as your husband. BUT, I had 2 others tell me if I at all have trouble with constipation (which I do) to use an enema the night before. I am not familiar with enemas, and thinking of calling the doctors office and asking them (although it is an ackward question to me) :-)

Old 07-29-2004, 08:52 AM   #5

fear of surgery HB User

San --

If you are not familiar with enemas you may not be happy with that option because unless they are used correctly they can fail and be virtually useless.

I would go with an over-the-counter laxative, like Dulcolax. You take a couple of tablets and they work within hours of taking them. You get cramping but do get cleaned out very well, and quickly. For me, it starts to work just 3 - 4 hours after taking it. So.. I would advise taking it when you've got a number of hours you can just stay in and do this --

Depending upon the time of your surgery, you could do it the night before, or even better so there is nothing still going on as you get closer to surgery time, take the pills the night preceding the night before surgery. Then eat very lightly the whole day prior to surgery so you don't have much in your system at all.

That's what I would do, anyway, and yes, I have had constipation problems off and on forever, though not consistently. If you saw my story, above, you know I was a bloated mess for two full weeks after surgery, eating and eating and nothing happening. REALLY uncomfortable. Most people say you get diarrhea right after GB surgery but everyone is different so better to start fresh after surgery. Just my opinion....

Old 08-08-2004, 08:45 PM   #6

meme16 HB User

I Am Going To See The Surgeon Tuesday For Setting Up Surgery For Gall Bladder Stones. I Was Just Wondering If The Stones Could Be Causing The Loose Stool I Have Had For Many Years Or Could That Be Ibs. And Another Question I Work In A Retirement Community Cleaning Houses After Surgery Do You Think I Can Go Back To Work After 1 Week After Surgery? Thanks Meme

Old 08-09-2004, 12:34 AM   #7

Aline336 HB User

Hello:

I'm a new member and am repeating this post here as this thread pertains to gall bladder surgery. If it isn't the appropriate venue I apologize, as I'm still getting a handle on posting protocol. OK, here goes...

I had a laparoscopic gall bladder removal ten days ago and seem to be recovering well although I am still relatively weak, with an irritated bowel. I am experiencing some drainage of clear liquid mixed with a bit of blood from the incision above my navel, as well as slight tenderness in the surrounding area (in addition to general swelling in the abdominal region). I had this checked out by my surgeon, who told me that it looked fine and wasn't infected. He also told me that I didn't need to be concerned about drainage unless it was accompanied by fever, pus, nausea or an increase in pain around the area. He advised me that it would clear up on its own and that it was a normal occurrence after this type of surgery. However, in all the online literature I've read about recovery from gall bladder surgery, drainage from an incision is cited as a symptom of possible complications. Has anyone out there experienced this type of drainage, and if so did it develop into an infection? If not, how long did it last?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Aline

Old 08-10-2004, 10:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

I was nor cleaned out before my surgery of 4 weeks ago today. I was blocked up for about 3 days after surgery, but no problems since then. The wounds are healing fine with no drainage.

Closed Thread