It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2004, 10:24 AM   #1

olegg HB User
Can Gerd and smoking cause enlarged Lymph nodes

I am a 27 year old male. I smoke a pack of cigarettes a day. I also have Gerd which causes burning in my esophogas and primarily in my neck area. I have three enlarged lymph nodes on my neck only, they are firm and not tender, they are the size of a bean. They have been enlarged for about 8 months now. They do not hurt me at all I just feel them. I went to two different ear nose and throat doctors and they said that the nodes are not big, they did not give me a clear answer....I have been sick with mono a couple years ago and I have had a history of sore throat. I also have severe dry scalp on my head, which I am treating but it has not gotten better yet.

Can it be either smoking or gerd that is causing my enlarged lymph nodes?
What else can be the cause??

Old 08-04-2004, 08:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Re: Can Gerd and smoking cause enlarged Lymph nodes

Usually a sign of infection especailly if you are prone to sore throats. If the Dr didn't seem too concern about it then I wouldn't worry just yet. Did he do blood work? Did he palpatate the nodes? If they are a size of a pea they usually don't bother with them unless they start to grow. Personally, if you feel they didn't give you a CLEAR answere you need to ask them, if they were concerned you would have heard about it, but since you are fretting about it, to ease your mind call and ask just what are they. Smoking may not be helping any, at least cut back!

Last edited by NancyH; 08-04-2004 at 08:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2004, 10:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Can Gerd and smoking cause enlarged Lymph nodes

I don't think smoking has anything to do with having enlarged lymph nodes.

The nodes, if not sore, just may be there because of some previous infection since they are not sore. As you may know soreness indicates an infection and needs attention.

I have had a hard lymph node below my left ear since a staph infection during my second year of college -- it never has gone away -- I am now retired so that has been many years ago. The doc did a need biopsy then --- I don't know what they do now. I took a sufur drug to clear it up.

I wish you well---Harry

Closed Thread